PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cris Carter on Brady: He's my QB if I have to WIN 1 game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison37

On the Roster
Reaction score
I know Carter is normally pretty critical of the Pats, but he was animated on the NFL Radio Opening Drive show this am.

OK- a caller starts it by asking him if Tom Brady is one of the all-time great QBs. Carter responds- (paraphrased):

He's in there. The only question now for him is longevity.

Then, the caller starts into a whinefest about what if- what if- what if the tuck rule, what if Vinatieri misses the FG and so on. He relates it to Carson Palmer's injury in the playoffs.

Then Carter goes off and says- You can come up with a million what-ifs, but that's football. What if Dwight Clark drops Montana's pass?

He then goes on to say that if he has to win ONE game, Brady's his guy. He talked about how far Brady has come since he was a rookie and says he's the most complete QB in the game. Then, Peyton Manning comes up, and he insists Brady's better. Stronger arm- Manning may make quicker reads, but Brady can hold the ball longer because of his arm strength and smarts.

Overall- very complimentary of Brady and said he's earned his place as one of the best in this era.

Just wanted to share that for those who missed it.

Thanks for sharing. We all kow that but from C. Carter ?? wow that's nice.

What was that new medication that made you smarter? Must be doing animal testing on one of the better control groups.

Way to go out on a limb there, Carter. Should have said Chris Simms or Alex Smith.

I mean, at this point it's not even an opinion. Nobody active, and very few in the history of the NFL have delivered on that "One Game" test like Brady has.

Manning? Solid track record of failure.
Plummer? Ditto.
Roethlisberger? Failed miserably as a rook, succeeded bigtime last year. Jury still out.
Palmer? No record.

If any NFL fan/analyst/coach answers differently, it's sheer stupidity.

Last edited:
i wouldve had rather him not say anything like that. gives unwarranted credibility to a useless analyst. and this isnt too difficult to pick , who else would he have picked ?

dryheat44 said:
Way to go out on a limb there, Carter.

If any NFL fan/analyst/coach answers differently, it's sheer stupidity.

SVN said:
i wouldve had rather him not say anything like that. gives unwarranted credibility to a useless analyst. and this isnt too difficult to pick , who else would he have picked ?

You know what these responses remind me of? In the late '90s I worked for a company that had Microsoft for a client. I somehow found myself in a high-level client meeting with our CIO and a Microsoft executive. The Microsoft guy was whinging because our company used Oracle instead of SQL Server, and the Lotus Office suite instead of MS Office. Our CIO said "we're actually moving to MS Office, does that make you happy?" And the MS guy said "not really, we assume that's everyone's baseline." So our CIO said "suppose we switched to SQL Server, would that make you happy?" And the MS guy said "nah, we pretty much assume that too." So our CIO said "what would it take to make you happy then?" And the MS guy was silent for a little while and finally said "actually, I don't know. I'll have to think about that."

Do we Patriots fans now have such a sense of entitlement that we stick up our noses at effusive praise of our team, because it's simply what we assume we deserve? What would it take to make us happy?

Last edited by a moderator:
patchick said:
Do we Patriots fans now have such a sense of entitlement that we stick up our noses at effusive praise of our team, because it's simply what we assume we deserve? What would it take to make us happy?
The patchick radio show would be a good start, objective analysis prior too pundit consensus.

Harrison37 said:
IThen, Peyton Manning comes up, and he insists Brady's better. Stronger arm- Manning may make quicker reads, but Brady can hold the ball longer because of his arm strength and smarts.

Now that's funny since the rap on Brady when he was drafted was that he had a 'weak arm'. go back and look at the draft forecasts/reviews and that's one of the reasons he lasted.......I'll post a link if I can find it....

Just my $0.02,

ah, an actual skills discussion rather than a ridiculous stats versus rings comparison.

Nice that Carter has finally seen the light but STRONGLY disagree with the assesment of PM doing a better job on reads.

It's one thing to look quick when you know exactly where you're throwing BEFORE THE SNAP, which with Manning happens 80% of the time. It's another thing to look quick, under pressure, with receivers flying everywhere in spread patterns.

Watching the Colts on occasion I've seen several instances of Marvin Harrison breaking free of coverage but Manning throws it elsewhere because the play wasn't designed to go to MH. Tom throws to the open man. Not saying we don't run timing routes (we certainly do, though they often include a hitch or two that add to the difficulty factor), but there is much more optionality built in...why?, because Tom's not afraid of a pass rush like Peyton is...Tom's the best I've ever seen at reading the field and finding the open guy...miles better than PM.

While it's true that QBs used to play like that all the time in the pre-Paul Brown days, please don't compare defense today to the 1950s.

Last edited:
patchick said:

Fair point.

But to me, asking someone which quarterback they want if they have to win one game is somewhat like asking someone who's the best lefthanded African-American quarterback that wears #7 in the NFC South.

One guy is nearly perfect in "must win" situations over the last five seasons.

Harrison37 said:
I know Carter is normally pretty critical of the Pats, but he was animated on the NFL Radio Opening Drive show this am.

OK- a caller starts it by asking him if Tom Brady is one of the all-time great QBs. Carter responds- (paraphrased):

He's in there. The only question now for him is longevity.

Then, the caller starts into a whinefest about what if- what if- what if the tuck rule, what if Vinatieri misses the FG and so on. He relates it to Carson Palmer's injury in the playoffs.

Then Carter goes off and says- You can come up with a million what-ifs, but that's football. What if Dwight Clark drops Montana's pass?

He then goes on to say that if he has to win ONE game, Brady's his guy. He talked about how far Brady has come since he was a rookie and says he's the most complete QB in the game. Then, Peyton Manning comes up, and he insists Brady's better. Stronger arm- Manning may make quicker reads, but Brady can hold the ball longer because of his arm strength and smarts.

Overall- very complimentary of Brady and said he's earned his place as one of the best in this era.

Just wanted to share that for those who missed it.

Thanks for the info...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes