PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Concerns going into 2012 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stats are not everything.

Sure they NFC East didn't produce a team with double digit wins.... but it also produced a Super Bowl winner.

Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys are always tough games.

The Redskins were a tough game too, if I remember correctly.

I think the Patriots have questions going into this season but i'm really not that concerned about them because i feel like the answers are going to be positive. there are questions about O-Line, RB, pass rush, and secondary but I'm confident that they have the depth to still play well on O-Line, the young RB's, will step up, that the additions of the young defenders and return of A. Carter will bolster their pass rush, and that the secondary and defense as a whole will be much improved over last year. My only real concern is how healthy they will be when the play-offs arrive and that is always out of everyones control. Should be a great season and if they get through it with their best players intact then i think they win it all.

I think the Patriots have questions going into this season but i'm really not that concerned about them because i feel like the answers are going to be positive. there are questions about O-Line, RB, pass rush, and secondary but I'm confident that they have the depth to still play well on O-Line, the young RB's, will step up, that the additions of the young defenders and return of A. Carter will bolster their pass rush, and that the secondary and defense as a whole will be much improved over last year. My only real concern is how healthy they will be when the play-offs arrive and that is always out of everyones control. Should be a great season and if they get through it with their best players intact then i think they win it all.

We only win it all if Brady gets over his mental block in the playoffs.

He hasn't been the same in the Playoffs since the 18-1 Super Bowl loss.

My main concern is how healthy the team is 5 months from now and how much the team has improved, going into the stretch run and playoffs. This team is so deep and strong that it can probably win 11+ games against a relatively easy schedule even with a lot of injuries or areas of question. But by mid-December this team needs to be fairly healthy and to have raised its level of play on both sides of the ball in order to be ready for the playoffs. I'm not terribly worried about injuries to start the season - there's enough depth to overcome almost any of those. But key injuries down the stretch could be deadly.

We have best talent. We have the best coaching. We have the best front office. We have the easiest schedule.

MY CONCERNS

1. injuries

2. injuries

3. injuries

4. injuries

Same here. Injuries are my only concern as well. We don't have infinite talent at every position but if injuries aren't an issue, we aren't weak enough at any one spot that we can't overcome. It all comes down to health this year.

lol Last year's team was far from battle tested. They beat 1 team with a winning record all year (Ravens).

My main concern is obviously pass defense. We made good moves but we also lost our top 2 pass rushers. Even if we get Carter back there's no guarantee he'll be near as effective. The secondary has potential to be very good but also could suck once again.

Vollmer's back is another concern until I see him perform in real action. And that would be about it, I feel good about the RB's.

I have little concern about the Defense, beleive it or not.

I think it is highly significant that the Defense near led the League in turnovers the last few years. To me that established the Team speed and talent are there. Last year the Defense suffered froma rash of injuries in the secondary, while the linebacking was maturing.

Now the current linebacking has matured; and talented new comers have been added. We now know we can trust the talented Mayo, Spikes and Ninkovitch and I await the contributions coming of Hightower Carpenter, Cunnigham, and Fletcher. Aside from the career ender to Leigh Bodden, all the secondary are back and several new talents have joined.

This is the year the Defense moves up in the standings, just as it did over the last games last year.

My concern is the Offense, beleive it or not.

I am concerned how rapidly the Offensive line matures, as the schedule has most of the real tests in the first five games. I beleive there is ample talent there, but it may take a while to jell.

That and the possible signs of aging, or injury, to our elite Quarterback.

Still I think this team is fully prepared to pursue a Lombardi Trophy and look forward to the pursuit of it.

Will Brian Waters report to camp or retire?????????? :eek:

Last edited:
My main concern is the offensive line. My next biggest concern is injuries. Other than those two, I am not too concerned with anything.

If the O-Line keeps Tom clean, you can turn out the lights and book New Orleans.

1. Health of the OL.
2. RB situation (given the relative unknown or unproven status of the RB's).
3. Gronk's ankle.
4. Defensive back situation (how will they play together).

The major issue being the OL. The Patriots don't need Brady scrambling around looking to extend plays. Look after the franchise and he'll look after the franchise.

Honestly, my only concerns are keeping Brady spotless and Wilfork on the field.

Last edited:
Honestly, my only concerns are keeping Brady spotless and Wilfork on the field.

I'm hoping to see Wilfork's snap count go down a bit, hopefully to around 75% (IIRC it was mid-80's or so, but I'm too lazy to look it up). If we're able to build some leads, then maybe down even further to about 70%.

Brady's sack total was too high last yr, and there were times when he took too many shots, so yes--I certainly agree that keeping him upright is priority #1 by a country mile.

Injuries and bad luck are my 2 biggest concerns. I think some of the other things will continue as they were, thus keeping us very competitive; while some of the other problems (secondary) will be improved upon. If we can dodge injuries a bit more and also get the right side of a few timely breaks, then we have a shot.

4. Defensive back situation (how will they play together).

The major issue being the OL. The Patriots don't need Brady scrambling around looking to extend plays. Look after the franchise and he'll look after the franchise.

I think the d-back situation will be improved upon due to a few things:

--improved talent (no more Molden's and hopefully Brown's, replaced by better overall talent)

--versatility (if the winning formula has not been discovered then we have the option to mix things up a bit)

--return to health (Dowling and McCourty, not to mention Chung)

I couldn't agree more on the state of the o-line. Love the wording, that's deep man..deep ;)

I think the d-back situation will be improved upon due to a few things:

--improved talent (no more Molden's and hopefully Brown's, replaced by better overall talent)

--versatility (if the winning formula has not been discovered then we have the option to mix things up a bit)

--return to health (Dowling and McCourty, not to mention Chung)

I couldn't agree more on the state of the o-line. Love the wording, that's deep man..deep ;)
Concern really isn't the right word for the DB's supa you're quite right. It's more waiting in anticipation for the reasons you've mentioned.

Given my fondness for D, I am hopeful the Patriots Defense continues their playoff form (and them some) into the season proper given the additions.

For the record, I channeled my inner ~ Grid ~

aab63e12f806528d8676c739974c58c976b6c95bc7c8673c32984098.jpg

Last edited:
My biggest concern is the O-line. It makes me uncomfortable to see Light gone and Mankins and Vollmer injured.

I am slightly concerned about starting the season with a lot of injury in our TE depth but I imagine Gronk and Hernandez will be able to handle it.

Edit:
But mostly I am just plain excited for another season to start!

Last edited:
Finally the non-football season is drawing to a close, pity we have to bid a slow farewell to the summer as well, but give me football any day over boringball aka MLB.

My concerns for the team are similar to many of the other posters:

1. Injuries - while these are part and parcel of the season I would like to avoid them as we head into the playoffs. Injuries have played a significant role in making the post season quest for the 4th Lombardi so much more difficult. Welker in 2009, Hernandez (played injured) in 2010 and Gronk/Spikes/Mankins in 2011 (not to mention what happened in 2008). An injury free post season is on my Christmas list.

2. The strength of character in the secondary. Yes they got to the SB, but the path was less than pretty. Now with all the available analysis it seems that confidence was a major factor. That of course can be attributed to a lack of strong leadership (step forward please Mr Chung), loss of players with knowledge of the system (Sanders and Merriweather), limited training especially on changes from man to zone coverage. We haven't brought in any major talent in FA and we are dependent on McCourty returning to 2010 form, and Dowling being able to contribute a full season. Gregory and Allen may be a step up from Brown, Barrett and Ihedigbo but its not a big one. I am looking for more steel from the vets.

3. Stability on the OL - I would prefer that we make the transition to Connolly being full time Center instead of him filling in for injuries on the line. Problem is that Koppen is not so flexible, making him an expensive backup. Mankins and Volmer injured, Waters not back in the fold and Solder left to be the anchor in the group. I fear that Gallery will be an interesting experiment but little else. The thought of Solder, Gallery, Koppen, Connolly and Cannon facing the Ravens(even without Suggs) and Bills in weeks 3 and 4 leaves me feeling uneasy.

Concerns for the media and fans

4. Hype and high expectations are the killers; media feeds the fans, the fans fuel the media. I think too much is being expected from Hightower. Yes I am excited about what he offers, but to believe that he will have as immediate an impact as Mayo in his first season is optimistic. Part of Mayo's success could be that less was expected from him (reasonable college career as opposed to a stellar one from Hightower). Same goes with Dowling and McCourty, where the expectations that they will perform at or close to pro-bowl level and lead to a dominant secondary is ill founded. I will be happy with an improvement but to expect a change from 31st to top 5 is unwarranted.

The AFC East is going to be closer than some think, although the only division sweep I see the Bills getting is against Miami. The Jets do have plenty of problems, but they still have a good defense and while they are wildly inconsistent on offense they can sometimes lead a charmed life (same can be said of their QBs). Say what you will about Rex Ryan, he is a good Defensive Coach and plans well. Sparano is an upgrade over Schottenheimer so expect two close games. You know they are putting the majority of their play designs into beating the Patriots.

That said I am expecting a winning season and will be happy with 12-4 or even 11-5. Anything more is icing on top of the cake, and yes more than welcome if we can get there with a trophy in February.

I don't agree that we had an easy schedule last year. Maybe the teams didn't have a winning record at the end of the season but they had a winning record or on a winning streak before they played the Patriots. Both the Jets and Broncos had winning records at the time the Patriots beat them. Dallas and Oakland were on hot streaks. It seemed that the Patriots had a tough game scheduled from week 2 to week 9. It's like they are getting criticized for the failures of the other team.

This years schedule will become harder or tougher as the season goes along. Last years record will have nothing to do with the "ease of schedule" this year. Just look at the Colt's record the year before compared to last year.

wrong thread..oops

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft