PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coaching Against Our O-Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakadave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Others will be able to answer this better than I can, and I expect the answers will be really interesting....

OK, you're an opposing DC or Defensive line coach. How do you attack the O-Line of (let's just say) Light (LT), Mankins (LG), Koppen (C), Neal (RG), Kaczur (RT)? To what extent do you move one of your D-linemen around to get him opposite a particular part of our O-line? Do you just engage and figure you won't get blown off the line, and thereby contain our running game? Through whose territory does a blitzing LB have the best chance of reaching Brady?

Then after answering, ask yourself "Now what do we try to accomplish with our O-line in this year's draft?"

Last edited:
I think Light may be "vulnerable to power."

The middle of the line

The Pats seemed to be very vulnerable to blitzes up the middle of the line. Could be that with Mankins being a rookie, Neal being very inexperienced and with a sub center for much of the year, blitz pickup was a real problem. Hope the return of Koppen and Mankins maturation will help. Neal does not seem to have a real feel for pass protection though.

Hmmmm.... Line should be pretty solid, with a full camp and no injuries. Even Neal. MAYBE, just maybe, you attack the right side of the line. Lack of experience and technique there may be exploited if not properly coached up before the season starts :)rofl:).

So I guess I draft for depth and competition, all second day stuff.

re

shakadave said:
Others will be able to answer this better than I can, and I expect the answers will be really interesting....

OK, you're an opposing DC or Defensive line coach. How do you attack the O-Line of (let's just say) Light (LT), Mankins (LG), Koppen (C), Neal (RG), Kaczur (RT)? To what extent do you move one of your D-linemen around to get him opposite a particular part of our O-line? Do you just engage and figure you won't get blown off the line, and thereby contain our running game? Through whose territory does a blitzing LB have the best chance of reaching Brady?

Then after answering, ask yourself "Now what do we try to accomplish with our O-line in this year's draft?"

A good question.
I think an important factor is Tom Brady's quick release, pocket presence, and movement. He always knows when the hit is coming, and is able to either dump it off or buy some seconds.

Call me foolish, but I think it's a lost cause to attack a healthy Patriots O-line. I would rather rush 4, have 7 sit back in zone, force Brady to throw underneath a lot, and PUNISH receivers and backs when they caught the ball.

I think with a healthy O-line and Brady's elusiveness, it is not worth trying to blitz or stack the line.

Last edited:
The Patriots use a zone blocking scheme as opposed to man to man. The only sure bet are the outsides where you can isolate the tackles.

It's going to be interesting to watch the line this year. This could well be the most mobile and athletic line we have had since John Hannah was here.

The Patriots had one of the most effective screen play last year. That looks likely to improve even more. So, any coach who thinks he has the grand scheme better pick the right play. This line can get out and block on the screens better than we have had in many years...so go ahead...blitz...Brady will make you pay...real large.

What worked for Denver was when they sent John Lynch blitzing on the edge. That seemed to disrupt us for awhile. Just for the record I think John Lynch is one of the most overrated players in the NFL.

re

nickw308810 said:
What worked for Denver was when they sent John Lynch blitzing on the edge. That seemed to disrupt us for awhile.

What happened last year has no bearing on this season. We were playing with half our starting line missing in 05, and two rookie starters. Before last year, the Patriots O-line was very strong against any kind of pressure, especially in the playoffs.

If I were a D-coordinator, I would force the Pats into long, grueling drives where they would have to grind out points. I wouldn't play risky and I would hardly blitz. I would basically hope that the Patriots would not be able to put together multiple long drives consisting of short gains per play.

nickw308810 said:
What worked for Denver was when they sent John Lynch blitzing on the edge. That seemed to disrupt us for awhile. Just for the record I think John Lynch is one of the most overrated players in the NFL.

Agreed. We didn't make him play honest, we were passing WAY too much. Lynch sucks as a safety, they send him to blitz or he takes someone's head off and people think he's great.

Assuming Light and Koppen are 100% recovered, I think Neal is the weak spot.
I would have several plays ready to take advantage of him and pull the
trigger when I most needed to make a play. Kaczur still needs more experience
and may have problems at times. I would test him often.

On passing downs:
Unless I have a very good speed rusher or Light is not fully recovered he is not going to be easy. It really depends on the defense guys you got. Sometimes Blitzing may be very effective sometimes just bringing 4 will work well. But in general I would work the middle of the PATs Oline.

On rushing downs:
I would be more concerned with the off tackle runs. Force the PATs to run
up the middle and you should keep them to 80yds or less. If they get an
upgrade for neal that may change.
IMO.

With the zone blocking, this isn’t as powerful as in man, but i think running stunts with bigger D-Ends and looping your Athletic/Fast D-Ends would be effective against the pats this year, Matt Light is a great player, but he could still be effected by the leg injury even if he is 100%

maverick4 said:
A good question.
I think an important factor is Tom Brady's quick release, pocket presence, and movement. He always knows when the hit is coming, and is able to either dump it off or buy some seconds.

Call me foolish, but I think it's a lost cause to attack a healthy Patriots O-line. I would rather rush 4, have 7 sit back in zone, force Brady to throw underneath a lot, and PUNISH receivers and backs when they caught the ball.

I think with a healthy O-line and Brady's elusiveness, it is not worth trying to blitz or stack the line.

Mav, both your posts in this thread are dead on, an excellent strategic job! :rocker:

JR4 said:
Kaczur still needs more experience
and may have problems at times. I would test him often.

Happily, this testing will help him mature that much quicker.

maverick4 said:
A good question.

I think some teams with the personnel to do it will still blitz heavily. A 4 man rush won't keep Graham and Watson in to block and what DB is going to punish them? Keeping those two busy is key to defending the pass, IMO. Also, there is a perception that you have to try to rush and hit Tommy. If you don't he'll pick you apart.

Also, while many think our O-line was hampered by injuries and their return will make a big difference, I just don't see it. I didn't think we had that much of a drop off due to lesser talent. If anything, co-ordination may have been weaker than with our starters. Count me as one who thinks Dante needs some additions to the gene pool.

Last edited:
I think Pats1 (forgive me if this is the wrong member - all the Pats37-pats55 wind up running together in my head) had done some tape breakdown this past season and he cited instance after instance in which Neal had been the weak link and allowed a lineman through

I take that with a grain of salt because the entire line was stretched thin by injuries -

JoeSixPat said:
I think Pats1 (forgive me if this is the wrong member - all the Pats37-pats55 wind up running together in my head) had done some tape breakdown this past season and he cited instance after instance in which Neal had been the weak link and allowed a lineman through

I take that with a grain of salt because the entire line was stretched thin by injuries -
Neal made his share of mistakes when I broke down series, I just didn't notice the same problems Pats1 did.

The old rule of thumb was blitz the average and inexperienced QBs and drop 7 or 8 against the Bradys and Mannings. But last year, teams were blitzing Brady and Manning all year long -- far more often than before -- a whole change of strategy. It would appear that unpredictability has now become the strategy of choice against the best QBs. Would you agree?

Too Late!

Count me as one who thinks Dante needs some additions to the gene pool.[/QUOTE said:
You are a year too late!

Once again BB is a step ahead and augmented Dante's gene pool with a first and third and snagged a injured Gem before San Diego could hide him on their PS.

Without a broken leg, Wesley Britt is a second round pick, and programmed for the drive blocking, mauling, ORT position that establishes the running game and that is the weakest part of our Offensive line. He played some OLT at 'bama,blocking for brady Croyle, so he is not a total loser at pass blocking, but is a much better run blocker, so ORT beckons.

Most teams run right, but the Pats did better going left, before the injuries. Light is a great run blocker for a OLT. Now teams won't know, will they run left? run right?

Dante has already gotten the upgrade to his gene pool.

AzPatsFan said:
You are a year too late!
I'm with you on Big Britt, I've said it before, I've got a funny feeling about this guy... but lets not jinx it by talking too much about him. ;)

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I'm with you on Big Britt, I've said it before, I've got a funny feeling about this guy... but lets not jinx it by talking too much about him. ;)

Hope you guys are right about B***t. :D

Neal, IMO, suffered from the sophomore jinx and will be better this yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes