PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cleveland Browns RB Nick Chubb

Based on their college film, Sony, easily; he looked like Kamara 2.0.

He's been a totally different player since coming to the NFL, regardless of OL struggles (two separate issues), and in spite of his postseason success last year. Chubb has looked like the better NFL player.

Sony still shows good vision and power at times, but nowhere near the shifty, explosive playmaking ability he showed at UGA; he's much more upright and seems stiff. It's not really debatable that he's been a totally different player at the NFL level when compared to UGA -- just go watch some highlights of Georgia compared to Pats side-by-side and you'll see the difference.

That's not to say he hasn't been productive, he's been a productive contributor, but a totally different style of play.

I really wonder if it's a mental/coaching thing related to ball security, and he's so focused on protecting the ball that he isn't playing loose and aggressively. In the preseason game against Carolina this season he looked like his explosive self at UGA, and I remember posters being blown away and excited by how he looked. But since the start of the regular season that explosiveness hasn't been there.

I don't think it's injuries or a lack of physical ability -- I think it's mental/coaching.
Real good post. A lot to think about. He has looked different from what we saw in Carolina.

Chubb is better but Michel will get to his 4.5 ypc games when the run blocking is at least somewhat competent which it is not.

Week 8 will be funny if/when Chubb dominates and Sony does nothing head to head.

What the hell are you talking about? Yeah I'm real concerned that Chubb and the Browns are going to dominate the Pats.

Chubb: better then...better now...obviously.

Sony Michel is not a bust by any means, he has already proven that during last year's Playoffs.

But this is probably why you never draft a RB in the first round unless you have a generational RB like Saquon Barkley, and even those guys are not guarantees (ex. Leonard Fournette). Had we drafted Nick Chubb in the second round instead, who's to say that Chubb wouldn't replicate what Sony did last Playoffs? The Patriots have been to four Super Bowls in the 2010s, and we've featured a mix of LeGarrette Blount, James White, Brandon Bolden, Dion Lewis, etc. The team never needed a great RB to succeed. Again, I don't think Sony is a bad pick, but it wasn't necessary IMO.

Sony Michel is not a bust by any means, he has already proven that during last year's Playoffs.

But this is probably why you never draft a RB in the first round unless you have a generational RB like Saquon Barkley, and even those guys are not guarantees (ex. Leonard Fournette). Had we drafted Nick Chubb in the second round instead, who's to say that Chubb wouldn't replicate what Sony did last Playoffs? The Patriots have been to four Super Bowls in the 2010s, and we've featured a mix of LeGarrette Blount, James White, Brandon Bolden, Dion Lewis, etc. The team never needed a great RB to succeed. Again, I don't think Sony is a bad pick, but it wasn't necessary IMO.

you do realize that Chubb was picked with pick 33, right?

you do realize that Chubb was picked with pick 33, right?

My point is that you can always grab a starting quality RB later in the draft, doesn't necessarily have to be Chubb. Kerryon Johnson has been doing well for the Lions, and Phillip Lindsay went undrafted and had a 1000 yard season last year.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back