PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Long says goodbye (won't be re-signing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand this. BB has built an environment that attracts aging veterans to come here to play for a ring at discounted salaries. That's a good thing. Whether they come here to resurrect their careers, to improve their value or to get a ring it's all good. It's a benefit. We'll see it again this year. So why do we need to berate them when they leave?

Because he is obviously a delusional moron. You know it's okay to call out overpaid athletes for being morons, right?

Aging veterans. In other words guys near the end and they know it. In this case, this Mensa candidate wants to "get back to the player he was". Meaning a broken down, stats declining defensive end on a team that constantly circled the drain. However, his delusion has driven him to basically sh*t on BB and the Pats because obviously they don't know how to a) keep him healthy to make it though a season and b) employ him effectively. Oh, and in by doing so it contradicts his previous BB is the goat statement.

This is why I am "berating" him. All he had to do was say I'm happy to have been here but I will be moving on. No one knows who's decision that was, his or the teams' It would be anyone's guess

Instead he had to make his delusion public.

As numerous people pointed out nobody said that. This is people twisting and turning his words just to find something to whine and ***** about. He never criticized how he was being used but only said that he personally wanted to get back being more focused on pass rushing than the multitude of responsibilities he had here (setting edge, dropping into coverage..). Now whether this is a good move for himself and his longevity is his problem but while he was here he was all-in from the first day until the last day.

Which is basically a different way to say he think he could be used more effectively elsewhere.

Thanks for making my point for me

Which is basically a different way to say he think he could be used more effectively elsewhere.

It is absolutely not the same thing. But maybe the nuances of the words you are using are not clear to you.

He is saying that he enjoys/prefers a certain role. There was not even a single word uttered by him about effectiveness. Just because you are more comfortable doing the one thing you have been doing your entire life doesn't mean that you will be more effective in terms of affecting outcomes of games.

You are implying that he thought he could have contributed more if the coaching staff would have used him in the role that he envisioned for himself. This would be a not-so-subtle hit on BB which Long didn't do at all.

I wasn't sure. I was hopeful that Long saw the opportunity to extend his career by being a rotational player here ala Anthony Pleasant.

With that said I think he's full or crap. He's going after more money. If the Pats paid him starter money but gave him 50% of the snaps I bet he'd stay.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe he found out what the Pats were willing to pay,decided to leave and the rest is part of his exit strategy.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe he found out what the Pats were willing to pay,decided to leave and the rest is part of his exit strategy.

Yep.

While I think he was being truthful regarding his preference on how he is used, for that to be the only reason I'm just not buying. Im supremely confident he and BB had a discussion about use (role player) and $ and Long felt he could do better.

He played for small dollars last year as his stock was down. He played well last year and his stock is up. He wants to play more. Playing more means more money. Pats only pay for how much they use players.

I respect the hell out of Long and wish him well. Nothing wrong with wanting to make more money.

Because he is obviously a delusional moron. You know it's okay to call out overpaid athletes for being morons, right?

Aging veterans. In other words guys near the end and they know it. In this case, this Mensa candidate wants to "get back to the player he was". Meaning a broken down, stats declining defensive end on a team that constantly circled the drain. However, his delusion has driven him to basically sh*t on BB and the Pats because obviously they don't know how to a) keep him healthy to make it though a season and b) employ him effectively. Oh, and in by doing so it contradicts his previous BB is the goat statement.

This is why I am "berating" him. All he had to do was say I'm happy to have been here but I will be moving on. No one knows who's decision that was, his or the teams' It would be anyone's guess

Well, I'm trying here to find something in your statement I agree with, because on principle, that's what makes civilization possible and conversation worthwhile. So I've settled on this: yes, there is delusion represented in this thread.

No, it's not.

You and the bitter idiot want to keep twisting his statement that he prefers to play a different style into some "That fool BB didn't know how to use me" slam.

It is quite possible and in fact likely for both of the following to be true:
  • On the Pats, the best way to get the best value from Long is to use him how BB did, and Long knows it.
  • On some other team, that has different personnel and a different defensive philosophy than NE, the best way to get the best value from Long is to use him in a way that's closer to his preferred style of play, and Long knows that, too.
Long (a) put his personal preferences aside to help the team get a ring and (b) now wants to finish his time in the NFL playing the way he has the most fun playing.

What the effin' hell is the least bit objectionable about that??

No, it's not.

You and the bitter idiot want to keep twisting his statement that he prefers to play a different style into some "That fool BB didn't know how to use me" slam.

• On the Pats, the best way to get the best value from Long is to use him how BB did, and Long knows it.
  • On some other team, that has different personnel and a different defensive philosophy than NE, the best way to get the best value from Long is to use him in a way that's closer to his preferred style of play, and Long knows that, too.
Long (a) put his personal preferences aside to help the team get a ring and (b) now wants to finish his time in the NFL playing the way he has the most fun playing.

Are you ok?

You seem seriously flustered that someone has a different opinion than you.

"This defense sucks and the Patriots will never win a SB as a result."

I think we can all wipe our ass with literally anything you've got to say, kiddo.

Classy as classy can be. Great player and leader. His presence will probably be missed by the guys in the locker room. Wish you well, Chris.

Agree. Class act and does great charity work too. Best of luck to him. I wonder who will be next year's Chris Long?

"This defense sucks and the Patriots will never win a SB as a result."

I think we can all wipe our ass with literally anything you've got to say, kiddo.

What's it like to have never been wrong, ever?

Well, I'm trying here to find something in your statement I agree with, because on principle, that's what makes civilization possible and conversation worthwhile. So I've settled on this: yes, there is delusion represented in this thread.

Lol. So a 31 year old defensive end who has delusions of grandeur being a moron isn't something you can agree with?

If you can't then that doesn't say much for you and you're ability to apply critical thinking to any situation.

I also suggest you remove yourself from civilization due to the former.

No, it's not.

I'm not bitter. I'm pointing out how delusional he is. His "better usage" will get him on IR especially at his age. This is not a hard concept.

Lol. So a 31 year old defensive end who has delusions of grandeur being a moron isn't something you can agree with?

If you can't then that doesn't say much for you and you're ability to apply critical thinking to any situation.

You continue to sound like a f###### jackass. I suppose it's great to be good at something.

I'm pretty sure he saw the writing on the wall

Yet another moron. He makes no sense. He finally played on a playoff team. Won a SB. His Dad thought it's a great place for him.

Glad to show you the door. Appreciate everything you did, but you are a moron. Nowhere else is going to give you what you want. And for less money even?

Have fun when the realization that you are .500
or worse come December and most likely missing the playoffs.

He's a moron for wanting to play more and make more money after winning a ring?

To be fair, even if he just wants more money, more power to him. But my guess is there's mutual interest in moving on.

I thank him for everything he did to help this team win, I wish him nothing but the best and he's certainly free to make his own decisions.
That being said, if it's not about the money, it doesn't make any sense.

Former Chris Long: got to play in his favored role=didn't win jack

Patriot Chris Long: Was shown a system and role that proved to be successful= won it all

For whatever reason he decides to go back to the old way thinking maybe now it'll work better?

Like I said, I respect him and thank him but it doesn't compute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back