PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs confidence in Cassel to be tested Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
The article below makes a compelling argument that next Sunday we will find out just how much confidence the Kansas City Chiefs have in Matt Cassel as their quarterback.

Wonder what the Chiefs really think of Cassel? We might find out Sunday | Red Zone

Houston has the league's worst-ranked pass defense, allowing 329.6 yards per game. Meanwhile, the Texans have the fifth-ranked rush defense, having surrendered 79.6 yards per contest. If the Chiefs are as confident as they say in their quarterback, an obvious game plan is to attack Houston's deficient pass defense and rack up major yards and big points. But if the coaching staff is like many of us and isn't sure about Cassel's reliability as a passer, the Chiefs are more likely to stick with a game plan they've used well in the first fourth of the season: using their running backs and minimizing the team's reliance on the passing game -- which, by the way, is ranked 27th after averaging 158 yards in four games.

This is the way game plans work: If there's a clear weakness, the opponent attacks it. The only way it doesn't is if it just doesn't trust itself to properly go after that weakness.

The Chiefs can say what they want about Cassel and their confidence in him, for now and later. But if the game plan never lies, Kansas City will have to show its hand against the Texans.

Last edited:
They're arguing that the only reason they don't have faith in the passing game is Cassel? Really?

I would think that the horrible receiving corps and the sub-standard offensive line had something to do with it myself.

Anyone think Cassell is for real and will improve into an elite quarterback in the league?

Anyone think Cassell is for real and will improve into an elite quarterback in the league?
Personally I don't think he'll ever be an 'elite' quarterback.
However, I do think he is capable of being an above average QB.
There are many other starting quarterbacks in the NFL that are far more worthy of being replaced than Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back