PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CHB flip-flops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood his appeal. Mabye I'm too young but was there a point in the 80s-90s when he was a legitimate good read? Was his shtick always the arrogant douche? Or did he develop this as he got more old and bitter?
Guys like CHB and Bob Ryan are a little older than I am, but I sort of grew up in the 70s and 80s with the Globe sports section. Those 2 guys, along with Peter Gammons, Will McDonough, et al were part of what was generally regarded across the nation as arguably the best sports section anywhere, particularly on Sundays. In my opinion, what happened was some of these guys such as Ryan and CHB came to believe they were even better than they actually were (which was considerable) and slowly became arrogant and surly. CHB also became lazy and bitter. Ryan, while not lazy, became bitter also and increasingly unable to concede he could ever be wrong about anything. Today, the Globe sports department is a shell of what it once was, and that's putting it kindly. CHB, Cafardo (used to be the Pats beat guy), Volin, Gasper (at least he can write), to name a few, are condescending and clearly dislike the Patriots. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Guys like CHB and Bob Ryan are a little older than I am, but I sort of grew up in the 70s and 80s with the Globe sports section. Those 2 guys, along with Peter Gammons, Will McDonough, et al were part of what was generally regarded across the nation as arguably the best sports section anywhere, particularly on Sundays. In my opinion, what happened was some of these guys such as Ryan and CHB came to believe they were even better than they actually were (which was considerable) and slowly became arrogant and surly. CHB also became lazy and bitter. Ryan, while not lazy, became bitter also and increasingly unable to concede he could ever be wrong about anything. Today, the Globe sports department is a shell of what it once was, and that's putting it kindly. CHB, Cafardo (used to be the Pats beat guy), Volin, Gasper (at least he can write), to name a few, are condescending and clearly dislike the Patriots. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Good call on Ryan.

And yeah, there's a general trend to laziness among the older guys. But Borges was at least as lazy (bad reporting and eventually outright plagiarism). And Volin is already lazy while he's young.

Radio and TV people are commonly lazy too, except for the obvious non-lazy part of showing up to work with enough energy to give a performance.

Remember a discussion about how Boston Sports Media used to be the top of the throne in Boston, we all savored every word of Peter Gammons on Sunday morning and marveled at the info provided. However, when we started to get strong personalities as Coaches this all started to change.. BB, Doc and Terry F. ascended to a very credible throne and pushed them aside.

Now they are fueled by anger, as allegedly BB "lied" to Borges or other such nonsense.. their vitriol outweighs common sense and they believe that being edgy will give them favorable ratings on social media..

They still do not understand the method of the Patriots and do not try to understand BB.... they are content with being crotchety old bastards..

Thanks man appreciate the insight. It was crazy when deflate gate first broke everyone you mentioned including Jackie Macmullan whom I used to respect a lot went out on a limb against the pats and Brady. Pretty sad time when the local paper has to tear down one of the most remarkable runs of any sports team of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes