PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charley Casserly's 4/13 Two-Rounder: Chandler Jones, Harrison Smith, Upshaw, B Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. After watching a lot of Upshaw video, I see a guy who relies heavily on his bull rush. He doesn't have an advanced reportoire of pass rushing moves, and gets blocked fairly easily. He won't be able to take advantage of his physical ability as much in the pros.

Casserly isn't too far off in my opinion.

Upshaw as a college player was a beast, don't ever doubt that. He excelled in the SEC by being versatile. The reasons I think we pass on Upshaw are because he is short and slow. He's not athletic enough to play OLB; small for DE and maybe too slow for ILB. But theoretically he can play all three positions.

Consequently if we did take Upshaw at #48, you have to think BB is sending a clear message to Cunningham and/or Spikes (If we move Upshaw to ILB) that he/they need(s) to bring their game up a notch or two, big time.

Upshaw as a college player was a beast, don't ever doubt that. He excelled in the SEC by being versatile. The reasons I think we pass on Upshaw are because he is short and slow. He's not athletic enough to play OLB; small for DE and maybe too slow for ILB. But theoretically he can play all three positions.

Consequently if we did take Upshaw at #48, you have to think BB is sending a clear message to Cunningham and/or Spikes (If we move Upshaw to ILB) that he/they need(s) to bring their game up a notch or two, big time.

If anyone needs a message, it would be Cunningham, who have done nothing in his two years here. Spikes seems fine to me, other than the fact that he gets injured a lot.

He's started every game of his two years in the league and is arguably the single bright spot on that Jaguars defensive line. Idk about you but there's nothing better than an immediate starter out of a top 10 pick, especially at DT/DE.

He's a decent player but again it's the Jags. Blaine Gabbert's selection also came out of nowhere and I think we can all agree that's a disaster and granted only one season but it doesn't look like it'll turn around. I have a hard time saying their scounting department is better than half the posters on this site when they've had:

10th Gabbert
10th Alualu
8th Monroe
8th Harvey
21st Nelson
28th Lewis
21st Jones
9th Williams
7th Leftwich
9th Henderson

So igoring the other rounds where they've been equally bad they've had two pro bowlers in Lewis and Henderson, two solid starters in Alualu and Monroe and a pile of crap in a decade in spite of 7 of those picks being in the top 10.

So to my original point when Lombardi said they were taking Baron at seven I choked on my drink thinking no way and then thinking well it is the Jags.

Only negative for me with Chandler Jones is that he's got chicken legs similar to what Crable had. I wonder if that frame without another 20 lbs of muscle on it will stand up to the beating of a NFL season. Jason Taylor was a long lean outside rusher; but other than that, I cant think of another successful pro with this body type.

You remember Ted Hendricks with Oakland, don't you?

The Mad Stork was 6'7" 220. Gawd, I loved the Raiders back then.

Charley Casserly's picks for the New England Patriots are a joke.

I'd rather go the following route:

#27 Dont'a Hightower
#31 Kendall Reyes
#48 Ronnell Lewis or Bruce Irvin
#62 Alfonzo Dennard or Jamell Fleming
Hightower, Reyes, Irvin, and Fleming would be awesome. I think McCourty's regression has been so profound and permanent at CB that he'll spend most of his time at safety.

Speed in the linebacker corps, help for the secondary, and a rising star on the D-line to make this defense more aggressive and opportunistic.

I think the Manning boys will be scared of Irvin's prowess at coming in like a comet off the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3