Chad Jackson will try out with the Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

The Raiders will try out free agent WR Chad Jackson.

Jackson officially cleared waivers on Monday and is an unrestricted free agent. He is the type of size/speed reclamation project that Al Davis loves.

Jackson officially cleared waivers on Monday and is an unrestricted free agent. He is the type of size/speed reclamation project that Al Davis loves.

he cleared waivers? that to me in itself is a surprise...

(tip to chad jack though...i wouldnt go to raider land in order to emerge as a pro....)

I already posted this in the other Chad Jackson thread, he's gone now we don't need 10 different threads on him anymore: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=995515#post995515

Re: Chad Jackson visiting the Raiders on Tuesday

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/01/chad-jackson-visiting-raiders-on-tuesday/
The Raiders just signed Ashley Lelie.

I think Jackson is a perfect fit for the Raiders.

Let's see how many threads we can get going tonight on this stiff. Enough, it's been posted in 2 other spots that he is visiting the Raiders, who cares.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-...515#post995515

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=109828

I called this eventuality back in the spring, the beginning, and end of training camp. Ironically, it's too bad for us that BB gave Jackson a real chance to make the squad - Chad ended up with zero trade value by the end. The Raiders needed Jackson all along - too bad we couldn't have wrenched a 5th or 6th out of the Black and Silver. The Titans are another team sure to be calling Jackson. Good Luck, kid, I mean it.

Last edited:
I called this eventuality back in the spring, the beginning, and end of training camp. Ironically, it's too bad for us that BB gave Jackson a real chance to make the squad - Chad ended up with zero trade value by the end. The Raiders needed Jackson all along - too bad we couldn't have wrenched a 5th or 6th out of the Black and Silver. The Titans are another team sure to be calling Jackson. Good Luck, kid, I mean it.

Yeah, they got a 3rd for Duane Starks, but after the Moss trade, can we really complain? :)

Last edited:
he cleared waivers? that to me in itself is a surprise...

(tip to chad jack though...i wouldnt go to raider land in order to emerge as a pro....)
IIRC, if a player is claimed on waivers, he must be paid under the terms of his existing contract. I don't know how much his salary was slated to be, but I can imagine as a high second round pick it might be more than any team was willing to risk on him. Now that he has cleared waivers he is a free agent and can be had for any contract he is willing to play under, consistent with the CBA.

Re: Chad Jackson visiting the Raiders on Tuesday

I think Jackson is a perfect fit for the Raiders.

I agree. If he brings a better work ethic than Doug Gabriel to Oakland, he should be okay.

If you can't look good with Brady throwing you the ball, you ain't gonna look good Jamarcus Russel throwing it either. I bet Chad gets cut by Thursday. He's a draft bust if I ever saw one.

Al spends most of his time these days sitting with an afghan pulled up around his neck and drooling. The only reclamation project Al is involved with is getting his vital signs back. What a joke.

It would almost be a twist of irony if, for some reason, he pans out and the Raiders get a great deal out of him. Oakland's offense could suddenly become scary: Jamarcus Russell with one year under his belt, Darren McFadden in the backfield, and a Chad Jackson who has lived up to the hype and Ashley Lelie in the receiver positions. Doubt it will happen, just saying....

Chad is in a tough spot today. The decision he makes could spell the differece between restarting his career as an NFL WR and bouncing around as a JAG or emigrating to Canada. He needs to land in a fairly simple pass oriented system with an actual functional QB on the roster. Otherwise he will be a goat, rightly or wrongly. He has tools and skills and according to Bill he does work hard. What he lacks is complex capacity. That means he is what he is and all that is is an outside threat.

He has tools and skills and according to Bill he does work hard. What he lacks is complex capacity.
Heh. I haven't heard it called that before.

Not sure if he lacks it or didn't apply it. Maybe getting cut will knock some sense into his 'complex capacity.'

If you can't look good with Brady throwing you the ball, you ain't gonna look good Jamarcus Russel throwing it either. I bet Chad gets cut by Thursday. He's a draft bust if I ever saw one.

The Patriots have a more complicated passing system then most and obviously Jackson couldn't get a grasp on it. If he goes to a simpler system, he might find some success.

Interesting that not one of the players that the Pats cut was claimed off of waiver's by another team. Do you think that the failures of other ex-pats(patten, givens, wilson, branch, etc) is making other teams wary of grabbing pats players?

Heh. I haven't heard it called that before.

Not sure if he lacks it or didn't apply it. Maybe getting cut will knock some sense into his 'complex capacity.'

Listening to Bill yesterday and reading between the lines I gather he did. His college coach said he was slow on the uptake. Had a good grasp of principles but it took him time to apply them on the field at game speed. That was in college where concepts pale in comparison to what we do here in a sight adjusted offense. Add to that our preference for versatility, which as Bill noted requires both physical and mental flexibility. He was talking yesterday about Ventrone and how some guys relish the challenge or opportunity to do more and new and different things while others are uncomfortable when asked to try things outside their regemented comfort zone. Doesn't mean one has more or less talent than the other, just their talents are markedly different. Bill is drawn to those who are very good in many areas while remaining intrigued by those who excell in only one. Because you never know when one of them might have latent versatility that has merely gone untapped or undiscovered. He is willing to take certain limited risks in hopes he and this staff and system can untap some...

Ben Watson is a very smart kid and yet he has struggled mightily with all we do here. He's still here not only because of his raw talent but because we can't find complete TE's who can master this system and he does keep trying. We've managed to locate WR's who can... Even old Reche had capacity, he just lacked consistently good hands!!!

Look at Welker. Couldn't get drafted to save his soul. Not nearly as physically gifted as most of the guys who manage to make an NFL PS. But he's a football player and he has the skill set that fits us to a tee. He's as quick mentally as he is physically. He can make three adjustments at once without pausing to think. Same deal with Brady. Ultimately, that is what the elusive IT is... capacity. You don't have to have it to succeed in the NFL. You just have to have it to succeed here. Lots of other systems are predicated on sheer talent. They just tend to be a bit more difficult to maintain out of the gate from a purely financial perspective. Physical tools wear down faster than mental capacity. That actually increase with age. See Troy Brown. And to BB it's not nearly as much fun to manage physical just talent - any dope can do that and have a shot at succeeding.

Last edited:
Interesting that not one of the players that the Pats cut was claimed off of waiver's by another team. Do you think that the failures of other ex-pats(patten, givens, wilson, branch, etc) is making other teams wary of grabbing pats players?
Maybe - certainly it would give me pause - but I think it was the fact that this year we signed the top 7 draft picks, IRed the next best. The guys we cut weren't very good. In a normal year, we'd cut decent talent (last year all four of our cut draft picks were claimed)

The only claimable guys this year were Redd and Gutierrez.

For a team that went 18-1, we certainly didn't stand pat in the middle/bottom of the roster, in fact claiming two off waivers ourselves.

I dont think that has anything to do with it.
I think that teams have scouting reports on players, and how they fit their system, and they look for guys cut that will help them. None of ours fit that, however, historically we have a lot of guys in camp that EVENTUALLY end up on someones rosters.

It would almost be a twist of irony if, for some reason, he pans out and the Raiders get a great deal out of him. Oakland's offense could suddenly become scary: Jamarcus Russell with one year under his belt, Darren McFadden in the backfield, and a Chad Jackson who has lived up to the hype and Ashley Lelie in the receiver positions. Doubt it will happen, just saying....

Lelie was cut.
I see little hope that Chad Jackson can be a go to guy with a QB who has shown nothing and a rookie RB that has shown nothing yet either,
Raiders are one of the couple of worst offenses in the NFL, C Jackson isnt going to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents