PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CFB : Good to see Carroll hasn't lost his touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats/Hokies Fan

On the Roster
Reaction score
Pete Carroll didn't even get outcoached... he just managed to coach even worse than Mack Brown.

I cannot believe that USC went for it on 4th & essentially 2 in the 1st half when they were up 7-0 rather than kick a 30 yard FG. TAKE THE POINTS. Instead, stuffed.... momentum swings to Texas who gets points out of it.

And in the 4th ? Going for it again on essentially 4th & 2 ... stuffed... Momentum swings to Texas who gets the gamewinning TD.

And I don't even want to know what type of defense USC was calling. I could have completed those passes... there was no one around the receivers. Was that a prevent D seen for the entire 4th quarter ? There was no one covering in the 5-20 yard range on most of those plays. All the defensive players were either covering very deep or very shallow.

Also, there's this thing called a "spy". You use it to prevent mobile QBs from running on you. Considering Young was the only player from Texas who could consistently run the ball and had over 100 yds... maybe a spy would've helped.

Don't get me wrong folks, Texas played a great game and obviously deserved the victory.... overall the game was a good one. Unfortunately both coaches did so many dumb things it really hurt the level of the game in my opinion. The only difference was Mack Brown snapped out of it after the first half and got smart... while Carroll kept doing the same dumb things.

I have a quick related question but don't want to start another NCAA thread so I'll ask it here :

Everyone was talking about the "Threepeat" and I know two years ago USC and LSU shared it, etc, but wasn't the official BCS national champion LSU, not USC ? While I realize USC has a claim, I am under the impression that LSU was the official national champion and all the Threepeat stuff was a case of "if you say it often enough people will believe you" . . . or am I wrong ?

Pats/Hokies Fan said:
Pete Carroll didn't even get outcoached... he just managed to coach even worse than Mack Brown.

I cannot believe that USC went for it on 4th & essentially 2 in the 1st half when they were up 7-0 rather than kick a 30 yard FG. TAKE THE POINTS. Instead, stuffed.... momentum swings to Texas who gets points out of it.

And in the 4th ? Going for it again on essentially 4th & 2 ... stuffed... Momentum swings to Texas who gets the gamewinning TD.

Yes, and in defense of going for it in the fourth quarter, Carroll said it didn't matter where on the field Texas got the ball. Well duh, what was it, the Texas 44 vs., maybe, the 10 yard line? I think that would maybe make a difference!

????

Still confused why Reggie Bush was not involved in the 4th & 2 play in the 4th quarter. Isn't he the best college football player ever in the history of football?? According to the hype I've been hearing for the past 30 days.

Great job Pete.

Fanfrom1960 said:
Yes, and in defense of going for it in the fourth quarter, Carroll said it didn't matter where on the field Texas got the ball. Well duh, what was it, the Texas 44 vs., maybe, the 10 yard line? I think that would maybe make a difference!

I disagree. I don't think field position would have made much of a difference at all, since Vince Young would have gotten those extra yards (say 30 or so) in a matter of seconds. I think that's probably what Carroll meant in terms of "it made no difference".

Also, had they made the first down (not an unreasonable thought with LenDale in the game, who pounded Texas all day) that basically would have been the game. They knew giving the ball back to Texas and Young was a bad idea that should be avoided, whether at the 10 or the 44.

HoyaPats said:
I disagree. I don't think field position would have made much of a difference at all, since Vince Young would have gotten those extra yards (say 30 or so) in a matter of seconds. I think that's probably what Carroll meant in terms of "it made no difference".

Also, had they made the first down (not an unreasonable thought with LenDale in the game, who pounded Texas all day) that basically would have been the game. They knew giving the ball back to Texas and Young was a bad idea that should be avoided, whether at the 10 or the 44.

Disagree. Even if USC had John Elway (or Tom Brady) and Jim Brown or Jerry Rice in their primes, I would have punted. The odds of scoring a TD goes way up whether you're starting from the shadow of your end zone vs. near midfield. Anyway, a debate for the ages, for USC people that is. I'm glad Texas won, and that's probably the first time I'd say that about a Texas team.

Pats/Hokies Fan said:

Apparently, Carroll learned nothing from Notre Dame's blunder earlier this week. :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News