PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics Draft

I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

Look back over the history of the picks in the 20s. Each year, you are lucky if you get 1-3 players who end up being legitimate NBA players, whether that's just role players or starters.

Overall, you're probably looking at a 1:4 chance of this guy even being on your squad in three years.

Take the highest upside guys for your team. It's not tricky.

Sullinger's body and game are NBA ready. If he improves his shot and defense, then you have a much better version of Big Baby or Bass. Not bad at 21.

Fab Melo's body is NBA ready, his game is not. If you can develop him like you did Kendrick, then you probably have a better version of Perk. If you don't, you wasted the 22nd pick. Oh well.

And consider how well Rondo worked with Shaq and Perk - two big guys who can set hard picks and roll. If Fab Melo is going to succeed offensively anywhere, it's going to be with a creative, penetrating point guard who can attract defenders in the lane and get Melo the ball in a place where he will score.

At worst, you wasted two picks that were likely to be wasted anyway. At best you have a legitimate 4-man, and potentially a Perkins like 5. That is not bad at all.

My only knock is neither fits the athletic mold we have in Bradley/Rondo, or potentially in Jeff Green. It would be ideal if these guys could run the floor with those two. Maybe Melo can relative to a 7-footer, I don't know, I tend to think his athleticism seems underrated based on what I see.

I agree with just about everything you said except the Fab Melo and Perk comparison. I just don't see many similarities between them, to be quite honest, I see Fab Melo as more of a Bynum type player. (Assuming he develops his skill set)

I agree with just about everything you said except the Fab Melo and Perk comparison. I just don't see many similarities between them, to be quite honest, I see Fab Melo as more of a Bynum type player. (Assuming he develops his skill set)

Good point. The comparison probably only goes as far as being hopeful of Melo's development in this system b/c of Perk. In terms of game, you're right - Melo's is pretty different.

I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

Look back over the history of the picks in the 20s. Each year, you are lucky if you get 1-3 players who end up being legitimate NBA players, whether that's just role players or starters.

Overall, you're probably looking at a 1:4 chance of this guy even being on your squad in three years.

Take the highest upside guys for your team. It's not tricky.

Sullinger's body and game are NBA ready. If he improves his shot and defense, then you have a much better version of Big Baby or Bass. Not bad at 21.

Fab Melo's body is NBA ready, his game is not. If you can develop him like you did Kendrick, then you probably have a better version of Perk. If you don't, you wasted the 22nd pick. Oh well.

And consider how well Rondo worked with Shaq and Perk - two big guys who can set hard picks and roll. If Fab Melo is going to succeed offensively anywhere, it's going to be with a creative, penetrating point guard who can attract defenders in the lane and get Melo the ball in a place where he will score.

At worst, you wasted two picks that were likely to be wasted anyway. At best you have a legitimate 4-man, and potentially a Perkins like 5. That is not bad at all.

My only knock is neither fits the athletic mold we have in Bradley/Rondo, or potentially in Jeff Green. It would be ideal if these guys could run the floor with those two. Maybe Melo can relative to a 7-footer, I don't know, I tend to think his athleticism seems underrated based on what I see.

solid post. I think we did great considering we picked 21 and 22. Sullinger is a solid player. Yes, he has a back issue, but you take a chance on a guy at 21/22. He will help big time on the second unit right away. Melo is already better than Stiemsma. He needs to polish his offensive game, but he can block shots and will have an impact on the second unit as well. Both picks can improve and be starters imo. I really dont know who else i would have chosen with the 21/22 picks...these guys seem to have been the best players on the board when we were on the clock. Maybe Perry Jones III, but he has knee issues, so we would have been taking a risk with him too. I think we did alright.

Considering where we were picking, and the availability of talent in that slot I like the picks..

Both these guys are somewhat risky, but both have high rewards if they work out..

These picks remind me of Patriots type picks, probably will not help all that much this year... but could develop in this system.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back