PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS Sports' Michael Hurley: "Tom Brady's age is irrelevant"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
An article I thoroughly believe is right on and worth a read.

Tom Brady Is Older, But That's Not Why He's Struggling For Patriots << CBS Boston

Brady’s been in the crossfire nonstop this season, and if it keeps up, he won’t make it through the season — not because he’s old, but because he’s a human being, and human beings have their physical limits. Getting hit by 250-pound linebackers on a regular basis takes its toll on the human body, whether it’s 25 or 45 years old.

To point at Brady’s performance in 2014 and compare it to any of Brady’s previous seasons as evidence that he’s aging and getting worse is a fool’s endeavor. The sport of football does not lend itself to such simple comparisons.​

Simply, there is no quarterback — active or retired, living or dead, real or fictional (what’s up, Shane Falco?) — who could succeed on this year’s Patriots team. Not one.

While I agree with the concept that Brady's perceived problems are related to issues on the line, I think this goes a bit overboard. This is a team that came out of camp as a consensus pick to contend for the AFC title, and a pick of many to win the Super Bowl. I think that, while the current struggles are very real, the team is generally good.

The offensive line has been poor, and TB has been getting hit so often that even when the line does their job, TB has looked frenetic on occasion, reacting to pressure that is not there. I'm not saying that this is the case all of the time, but it has definitely caught my eye a few times.

The offensive line has been poor, and TB has been getting hit so often that even when the line does their job, TB has looked frenetic on occasion, reacting to pressure that is not there. I'm not saying that this is the case all of the time, but it has definitely caught my eye a few times.

Yeah I have noticed he is jumpy even when he has protection because he is so used to the line failing. And then when he takes his time, he gets stripped or a sack.

Yeah I have noticed he is jumpy even when he has protection because he is so used to the line failing. And then when he takes his time, he gets stripped or a sack.

Indecisive is another word for how he has looked at times too.

Most conspicuous example IMO was during MNF when TB evaded a strong KC rush beautifully by stepping up in the pocket and had a lot of green in front of him. He could have run for the first down but, instead, hesitated, and threw a pass to a covered Edelman. In TB's defense, the pass was accurate and clanged off of Edelman's hands.

Most conspicuous example IMO was during MNF when TB evaded a strong KC rush beautifully by stepping up in the pocket and had a lot of green in front of him. He could have run for the first down but, instead, hesitated, and threw a pass to a covered Edelman. In TB's defense, the pass was accurate and clanged off of Edelman's hands.

He wouldn't have been able to get the first down without taking a big shot IMO. He was wise to get rid of it to Edelman, who had a great chance at catching it

His age is not irrelevant

He wouldn't have been able to get the first down without taking a big shot IMO. He was wise to get rid of it to Edelman, who had a great chance at catching it

Could be wrong, but there was a lot of real estate in front of him and my gut says he could have picked up the first with his legs.

While I agree with the concept that Brady's perceived problems are related to issues on the line, I think this goes a bit overboard. This is a team that came out of camp as a consensus pick to contend for the AFC title, and a pick of many to win the Super Bowl. I think that, while the current struggles are very real, the team is generally good.

That was with the thought that Dobson and Thompkins would be playing. And Revis would be locking down one side of the field. And Mankins as LG

Could be wrong, but there was a lot of real estate in front of him and my gut says he could have picked up the first with his legs.

Brady made the right read on that play. That play's on Edelman. He needs to make that catch. Brady is the most hit QB in the league through 4 weeks. He needs to avoid getting his ass kicked in the open field, not to welcome it over a 50/50 run.

Brady made the right read on that play. That play's on Edelman. He needs to make that catch. Brady is the most hit QB in the league through 4 weeks. He needs to avoid getting his ass kicked in the open field, not to welcome it over a 50/50 run.

Heh. Not sure about 50/50, and Edelman had tight coverage on his hip, but it looked like a lot of ground to me devoid of defenders. However, given the fact that TB is far from fleet of foot means he made the right decision to pass to not risk a knock out hit from a converging LB or DB.

Last edited:

He didn't have a lot of green. He had 2 linebackers 5 yards away from him. I do think he could have pulled it down and dove for the first down marker which was 3 yards away, but he surely would have gotten hit. This is an instance when the live camera is not doing the play justice. Brady could see the two LBs right in front of him 5 yards away. I think he could have made the first down, but only if he dove forward. A QB slide would not ave gotten the first down.

He didn't have a lot of green. He had 2 linebackers 5 yards away from him. I do think he could have pulled it down and dove for the first down marker which was 3 yards away, but he surely would have gotten hit. This is an instance when the live camera is not doing the play justice. Brady could see the two LBs right in front of him 5 yards away. I think he could have made the first down, but only if he dove forward. A QB slide would not ave gotten the first down.

Yeah, like I've already said, in real-time it looked like a lot of green to me. Already pointed out that I could have been wrong due to the subjectivity of the naked eye, as I only saw it live once, so those of you who have seen the replays probably are more accurate than I am in gauging how much uncontested ground TB could legitimately cover before taking a shot.

The pass was by no means a horrible play, as it was accurate and Edelman could not reel it in with a DB trailing on his hip pocket.

I stand by my initial reaction watching the play unfold live on the screen, that Brady looked like he made up his mind to run for the first down, but held back at the last instant as Edelman flashed across him beyond the sticks.

I suppose this was why I cited this as an example why he's looked a little hesitant or indecisive on occasion, doubtless the by blows of shoddy line play...

Last edited:

Pre-season picks carry absolutely no weight at all. People were picking the Bucs to be a wildcard team at worst, the Texans to win two games again and the Saints to continue where they left off last year. Look how things have turned out so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News