PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS split video of Kelvin Benjamin TD overturn NOT in sync

How can it still look like a TD to you when riveron made a video saying HERE is when he has control of the ball and SEE the foot is off the ground then comes down out of bounds.
It really is crystal clear unless you are saying the eye test says it’s close snuggle so give it to him.

I didn't see the "definitive" video, and I don't have the time to go find it, honestly. Looked like a catch - the official on the field was mystified that it was reversed. The standard being touted it "conclusive evidence." If they're going to tout that standard, they should probably show the conclusive evidence at the time of the overturn, or this crap will keep happening.

My point remains: there are bad calls all the time - that TD would have been upheld a year ago, right? So it would have been a "bad call" if Riveron is definitive.

Picking up the flag on the first Pitt TD was a BAD CALL. Not calling holding on the helmet catch was an atrocious non-call. It happens.

I didn't see the "definitive" video, and I don't have the time to go find it, honestly. Looked like a catch - the official on the field was mystified that it was reversed. The standard being touted it "conclusive evidence." If they're going to tout that standard, they should probably show the conclusive evidence at the time of the overturn, or this crap will keep happening.
It’s right in this thread.
Riveron shows the play. Freezes it at control. Explains how with 100% certainty he knows the back foot is off the ground and then shows it land out of bounds.
It is as conclusive as conclusive can be.

My point remains: there are bad calls all the time - that TD would have been upheld a year ago, right? So it would have been a "bad call" if Riveron is definitive.
It only would have been upheld EVER if the review official blew the review. It is clear and entirely conclusive.

Picking up the flag on the first Pitt TD was a BAD CALL. Not calling holding on the helmet catch was an atrocious non-call. It happens.
So we should have more bad calls since we have some?
Are you arguing that even though he didn’t have control and 2 feet down they should give it to him because bad calls happen so review should let them stand?

They did it’s in this thread.
Right, and as I pointed out, the NFL's tweet came at 4:47, long after the game was over. Also I'm not sure we can presume we're seeing exactly what is presented to Riveron. For instance what he sees probably does have some timestamping info on it that we don't see.

Are you saying it’s a horrific thing that the league doesn’t get around to doling out explanations until Wednesday?
+1 for exaggeration. What I did say was: "We should have the evidence at the same time it gets pushed to the referees."

I mean there are a bunch of other games going on so asking them to stop and hold a press conference after each review is unreasonable.
I think the goal I stated is very obtainable. Just show us what he's showing the ref on the tablet.

But so I’m clear what exact problem are you trying to address?
I was following on from ( link: CBS split video of Kelvin Benjamin TD overturn NOT in sync ) which is about the lack of clarity in what is being reviewed, which leads to all kinds of crackpot conspiracy theories.

but they got the call right..

maybe loosen your tinfoil hat a smidge.

And what happens when stitching up two video angles is the only way to make a call?

Did CBS do this on purpose to goad the audience into a frenzy over this? Or is it just incompetence?

Is the replay system subject to the same problem?

There were cues for this instance to tell the two video angles were out of sync but there won't always be.

I think this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

They just showed on live TV that they're not capable of syncing up video correctly. Even if one asked the NYJFL* if their replay system is properly synced up, given their behaviour, would anyone even believe them?

How is one supposed to have confidence in the replay system now?

It’s right in this thread.
Riveron shows the play. Freezes it at control. Explains how with 100% certainty he knows the back foot is off the ground and then shows it land out of bounds.
It is as conclusive as conclusive can be.

It only would have been upheld EVER if the review official blew the review. It is clear and entirely conclusive.

So we should have more bad calls since we have some?
Are you arguing that even though he didn’t have control and 2 feet down they should give it to him because bad calls happen so review should let them stand?

The one in the thread can't be played.

Not sure why you're arguing with me - of course, I want the calls to be right.

But it's part of game theory: adding layers creates equal controversy around the edges...and there will always be edges. The big mistake by the NFL, imo, was giving the power to New York, because that creates suspicion and CTs.

Yup. I really think the perception problem is that CBS focused too much on the split screen. That sort of thing will never be conclusive. The angle they show starting about 35 seconds into the video below shows it all, just fine. And yet CBS only showed it once Sunday.

Is it really that hard for multi billion dollar behemoth like the NFL to produce and package this to be shown at the latest after the next AD break on the channel that is broadcasting the game ?

It would stop a lot of people from emotionally getting riled up about something they felt was handled wrong, it would stop the network crew from going back to the play and continuing on falsehoods...

But it's part of game theory: adding layers creates equal controversy around the edges...and there will always be edges. The big mistake by the NFL, imo, was giving the power to New York, because that creates suspicion and CTs.

You can make those edges smaller by making the rules stricter and that is what they need to do in general. More black and white, less grey areas..

e.g. remove the dragging of feet from the rulebook and make people actually touch both feet inside and the rule becomes immediately simpler for everyone involved.

But of course consistency and reasonable rules were all sacrificed on the altar of Fantasy Football. More scores and more tight catches were the mandate..

Is it really that hard for multi billion dollar behemoth like the NFL to produce and package this to be shown at the latest after the next AD break on the channel that is broadcasting the game ?

It would stop a lot of people from emotionally getting riled up about something they felt was handled wrong, it would stop the network crew from going back to the play and continuing on falsehoods...
NFL of course makes strange choices on how to spend their money. They spend a lot of money on Roger's salary and Roger's witch hunts, and relatively speaking, seem to avoid spending money on improving the game experience. For instance, why can't we have the goal line cameras that BB has been asking for for many years now? NHL can put cameras in goals, we can't seem to get cameras on goal lines.

For instance, why can't we have the goal line cameras that BB has been asking for for many years now? NHL can put cameras in goals, we can't seem to get cameras on goal lines.

To be fair, from a practical point of view I wonder how many times in a season would we get into situations where those are needed and then in that subset how often would the view be obstructed by other players anyway.

But yeah they should be able to finance **** like that even if it is just used 3-4 times a season.

The one in the thread can't be played.

Not sure why you're arguing with me - of course, I want the calls to be right.

It also creates consistency and a better record of getting it right. Better decisions with moronic conspiracy theories is an improvement over worse decisions.

The NFL is hurting itself here because the justification for the call was so sloppily done. Twitter is an idiotic forum to analyze a call because the video format is terrible, and because the forum doesn’t lend itself to reasoned analysis. The justification itself was just sloppily presented.

The NFL should have made a dedicated web page, with time stamps, high res video, high res stills, and graphics. That at least would have made it seem like they were taking the issue seriously and treating it professionally.

Probably Riveron just doesn’t get social media and the social media folks at the NFL aren’t used to analysis.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back