PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBA Update: Kraft sees 2010 solution 'realistic'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Robert Kraft: CBA solution in 2010 realistic - BostonHerald.com

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft says it’s a realistic goal to reach a new collective bargaining agreement with the players before the end of the season.

At the conclusion of the NFL owners’ fall meetings Tuesday, Kraft said "we’re moving ahead" and he’d "like to see this get done before the season ends." Asked if that was a realistic objective, he added "to me it is."

Indianapolis Colts owner Jimmy Irsay said it’s not "doomsday," even though negotiations have gone slowly with the union.

Tough to say if that's just posturing to sway public opinion to the owner's side, or if something in the discussions between the owners has changed that should lead us to believe a new agreement is not that far away.

Hopefully he's telling it like it is. Both sides have got to see how bad a work stoppage will make all parties involved look.

Kraft rose to his high level of respect through being a shrewd, but fair and honest businessman. Every article I've read by businessmen who have dealt with him say his word is as good as gold.

If he believes that this can be done, then there's a very real likelihood of that happening, and THAT would be good for ownership, players, and fans alike.

Let's hope it gets done, and that right sooner than later. :rocker:

BEFORE the end of the season seems next to impossible to me,the time for getting the two sides on an even keel would not be until after the Super Bowl

Kraft is hoping sooner...I would be shocked if a deal is in place before February

I would think both sides need time to work on it....late in the season does not seem like the time to negotiate

Last edited:
BEFORE the end of the season seems next to impossible to me,the time for getting the two sides on an even keel would not be until after the Super Bowl

Kraft is hoping sooner...I would be shocked if a deal is in place before February

I would think both sides need time to work on it....late in the season does not seem like the time to negotiate

This... almost impossible to get this done before football season is over even if both sides were close which they aren't. This is quite complicated.

they just need to get it done, but Demaurice Smith is the devil when it comes to this.. he will be the reason for the lockout...

This always confuses me. Why do people think that the season has anything to do with the negotiations? The people doing the negotiations have absolutely nothing to do with the daily running of the football teams. Yes the owners side reports to the owners and the players side reports to the union but the season being played has absolutely no effect on the timing of the negotiations at all.

Then on the other hand, the owners are also prepared for a lockout as well.

NFL owners, Roger Goodell say negotiating a new CBA agreement by end of season is realistic

That said, Goodell also admitted that a potential lockout when the current CBA expires on March 1 was discussed at the meetings, which were the last ones scheduled for owners before the CBA expires. However, he insisted that discussion doesn't mean that a lockout is in the owners' plans.

"I would put it as we're prepared for all alternatives," Goodell said. "That's what we've focused on for the last several years. Our hope and our plan is to reach a collective bargaining agreement before the expiration. But we're prepared for all alternatives, like any business would be."

This always confuses me. Why do people think that the season has anything to do with the negotiations?
Well, there may be contractual things that might happen after March 1 because the current CBA expires then, but did Kraft say the season had anything to do with negotiations? All he said was it could be done by the end of the season. He could have said done by Christmas or done by summer. It doesn't mean they are connected, only that it is the time he is projecting.

Last edited:
Then on the other hand, the owners are also prepared for a lockout as well.
I would hope both sides are preparing for a lockout. Doesn't mean it will happen but when faced with the possible loss of income for a year, they would have to be total morons (players and owners) not to prepare for that contingency.

That's what I don't understand about Smith. He extorts the players to prepare for a lockout, while accusing the owners of preparing for a lockout. I realize it is all rhetoric, but come on. Just because the owners and players are perparing for a lockout doesn't mean one will happen. Only that they won't be caught unprepared should the worst happen.

I hope they settle before Mid-January. That's when college juniors have to declare for the draft. It's in our best interests to have as many as possible come out. Makes our picks more valuable. Hard for a kid to declare if he's not sure there is going to be a NFL season. You know their college coaches are going to be chirping in their ear to stay. Why leave if you're not even sure you'll get paid.

How realistic the "end of the season" is in part depends on how you define end of season. If you mean the last regular season game --- I find the likelihood very remote. If you mean before the superbowl -- I am still very doubtful. If you mean the eve of the combine-- which is the kick off of the next season -- I think we are starting to get realistic. If you mean the eve of the draft -- would not really surprise me.

I don't see much happening until roster bonus start not being paid. But neither side gains much by interfering with football going forward.

You can read almost anything you want into "to me it is," but, all in all, I'd put this in the "not bad news" category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back