PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Woodson agrees to 7 yr. $52 mil. deal with Lord Favre's Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour93

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=4/26/2006&id=5329

The Green Bay Packers have agreed to terms with free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson on a seven-year, $52 million contract, agent Carl Poston said this afternoon.

The Packers were in a heated battle with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for Woodson's services and had been in discussions with Poston over the past several weeks. Talks picked up the past couple of days and Woodson apparently was both encouraged by the money the Packers were offering and the return of quarterback Brett Favre.

There is no way in hell that Woodson plays out this entire contract.

7.4 mil a year average, probably scaling up over time? I predict he's cut by 2009.

drpatriot said:
There is no way in hell that Woodson plays out this entire contract.

7.4 mil a year average, probably scaling up over time? I predict he's cut by 2009.

:agree:

He'll get kicked out with McCarthy and Thompson. He's too prone to injury, has a "me first" attitude, and will fold under the pressure to run that defense.

So does this make them 'competitive' enough for Favre to return? Well, I hope not, but I'm sure Favre will return anyway.

$52M, 7 years looks like vanity numbers to me. wonder what the guaranteed money looks like.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
$52M, 7 years looks like vanity numbers to me. wonder what the guaranteed money looks like.

PFnV

Exactly!

I bet when it is all said and done he averages maybe 5 mil per year.

The rest is window dressing for the backside of the contract

That he likely won't see all the money in the deal is true of just about every deal like this. ESPN sayd he gets 10.5 the 1st year and 18 over the 1st 3 years which is likely what he'll actually get.

If you were a CB, the lat place you should sign is Green Bay, because it automatically puts you out of the running from being on the receiving end of one of Lord Favre's thirtysomethin ints a year.

This is a deal where you have to give the Postons some credit. They got and underperforming, alcoholic, malcontent 10.5 million this year and structured a deal that will probably result in him getting cut after 1 year (since he can't play and it won't cost the Pack a dime to dump him) so they can go out and do the same next year to some other dumb team.

According to ProFootballTalk.com, the deal contains ZERO Signing bonus, so it's very easy for the Packers to cut him after this year.

Sounds like a win-win, actually. Lots of money in his pocket for one year, lots of incentive to stay around for the first three, lots of money against this year's cap so the Cap doesn't screw them in the coming years (they will need to solve their QB issue, don't forget.)

The value of the deal depends on how you evaluate Woodson... evidently the Pack think he's pretty high up on the food chain.

PFnV

This reminds me of "A Christmas Story", but instead of a leg lamp, Woodson is in the box:

Father (or Packers GM, take your pick): "Fra-gee-lay...must be italian."
Wife (or Packers scout): "I think it says 'fragile'."

The Packers better hope the guy doesn't get banged up once again.

Regards,
Chris

Correctomundo!

Bostonian1962 said:
That is SO foolish. Woodson is one of the single most overrated players in the NFL. I see him get burned more often..............he is NO lockdown CB. What a foolish signing, at that kind of money. Could make Ty coming back a non-starter.

Yup, Ty Law was spotted checking out restaurants to buy to feed his family.
Even at the "real" deal numbers of probably 3 yrs $18 million this puts Law, at least in his mind, WAY out of Patriots value land.

Man, I wish I could be overrated... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

What we want to say here, guys, is that Woodson has consistently outperformed Law, is a one man wrecking crew, and has years left ahead of him, whereas Law has nothing left in the tank, tackles like a girl ever since the 04 injury, and will be out of the game in 2 years. Then give Law $9M over 3 years guaranteed with lots of incentives to "feed his family" on.

My hat is off to you, Mr. Woodson, you deserve every penny of it.

Now, Ty, you see what a real corner is worth... it's time to reassess.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference