PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Darrelle Revis declares...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like..2nd best CB behind Hall

i have a question for CBs however..i dont quiet understand something..when people say a CB is not fast enough..better suited for Cover 2.

do "slower" CBs fit us? Law was never really a burner and Samuel coming in and other situations..do you think guys like Hughes can fit here? Supposivly his speed isnt very good but hes a playmaker. Would we take a "slower" CB and still get him to fit?

I have heard some things about Hughes, Hall, Revis that they might not be fast enough in certain schemes..are we 1 of those schemes some of these would succeed in?

do "slower" CBs fit us?

If by slow you mean a 4.5 guy vs a 4.4 guy the answer is YES. The 4.6 guys may have to play Safety in this league.

Law was never really a burner and Samuel coming in and other situations..do you think guys like Hughes can fit here? Supposedly his speed isnt very good but hes a playmaker. Would we take a "slower" CB and still get him to fit?
Ball skills and hands. BB raves about these qualities in a CB.

Just look at Ty. He doesn't just tip passes...HE CATCHES THEM. A real playmaker and game changer.

Samuel holds his school record for passes defensed. Always around the ball. Up until this season, he's led the team in passes defensed (tips and ints) -- but some of those tips should've/could've been caught. This season -- he's catching them. Fact remains, throughout his college and pro career, he's proven to have those excellent "ball skills".

Wilson -- led the nation in passes defensed as a CB. Once again -- exc. ball skills.

So to answer your question, YES, we'd pass on a faster CB if he didn't have those skills that BB covets.

I have heard some things about Hughes, Hall, Revis that they might not be fast enough in certain schemes..are we 1 of those schemes some of these would succeed in?
All the DBs are responsible to their assigned areas as part of a team D. Find a CB who's into film study, fast enough to play the position, not a liablility vs the run -- but smart enough to grasp our D.

BTW, great questions. :)

Ty played at Michigan in front of 110k each week. Revis played at Pitt in front of a small gathering of friends and family. Couldn't resist the shot at Pitt.

And you know what -- I knew that! I was a Dorsett fan -- can't get that Pitt from my memory! Thanks for the correction...:)

If by slow you mean a 4.5 guy vs a 4.4 guy the answer is YES. The 4.6 guys may have to play Safety in this league.

Ball skills and hands. BB raves about these qualities in a CB.

Just look at Ty. He doesn't just tip passes...HE CATCHES THEM. A real playmaker and game changer.

Samuel holds his school record for passes defensed. Always around the ball. Up until this season, he's led the team in passes defensed (tips and ints) -- but some of those tips should've/could've been caught. This season -- he's catching them. Fact remains, throughout his college and pro career, he's proven to have those excellent "ball skills".

Wilson -- led the nation in passes defensed as a CB. Once again -- exc. ball skills.

So to answer your question, YES, we'd pass on a faster CB if he didn't have those skills that BB covets.

All the DBs are responsible to their assigned areas as part of a team D. Find a CB who's into film study, fast enough to play the position, not a liablility vs the run -- but smart enough to grasp our D.

BTW, great questions. :)

well in that case Daymeion Hughes can fit..hes 6"0 190..8 INTs on the season...2nd all time in picks @ Cal with 15 behind Deltha O'Neal if i remember correctly. A ball hawk and playmaker but timed speed is holding him back and people dont think he can do it in NFL unless hes in the Ronde Barber type of defense, Cover 2
he supposivly, not officaly runs a 4.5ish.

Last edited:
When they say "cover 2" CB, I think they mean plays more zone, less man to man. Man skills require quickness which some people confuse with speed.

Hughes isn't the quickest which is why he's said to be more cover2.

The key, I think, is ability to plan man. Law played good man, so does Samuel. In a cover2 there's less need for that. I don't think the Pats would draft a CB who didn't have good man skills.

The best "ball skills" (Playing the ball in the air) out of any CB in this draft.

Not the toughest CB in the draft or even close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes