PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Troy beat out Welker for any roles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with the fact that Troy will not only bump someone off the final 53 but also off the final 45 actives. He will not be on the team in his last year as an inactive every week, so someone else will be on the 8 inactives. So, his making the team after TC will affect two other guys.

I understand what you are saying, but if he can produce on the field at 35 years old, add value, leadership and versatility to the team he deserves that game-day roster spot.

Is that the arguement you are trying to make?

Troy will dominate Wes as "Team Spiritual Leader". :)

consistent has to go to brady hes never missed a game and hes on target most of the time

I won't argue that.
I should have qualified the statement with "One of the most...".

Brown still may end up being the third QB (depending upon what happens with Vinnie and assuming that Gutierrez goes on the PS)... I know that Welker can do a lot, but I doubt that he can that!

With the official return of Troy Brown to the roster, I've been wondering if he can possibly beat out Welker for any roles. There seems to be a general assumption that Welker will take all of Troy's former roles, except DB, and therefore Troy becomes a good backup to Welker and a great compliment (e.g., for 4-WR sets).

However, is Welker really better than Troy at the following roles in 2007? Basically these are roles where savviness, experience, and reliability trump speed and break-away potential.
- 4th and short: similar to 3rd and short, but over the the years the Patriots have so often gone to Troy on 4th down--can Welker really be more reliable than Troy? Last year, Troy was a target on just 1 4th down play. Welker, was 4 of 6 on 4th downs for Miami.

- Inside the 10: Welker doesn't have many career TDs, Troy has a knack for getting open in the endzone. If you look back over Troy's career, he didn't have his 1st receiving TD until his 5th year as a Pro. Welker wasn't used much inside the red zone. He was only in on 15 plays by Miami. Of course, Brown wasn't used much either with only 21 plays.

- Short-field punt returns: Welker has great hands, but are his decision-making/hands better than Troy's? I think they are just as good as Troy's. He had 29 fair catches last year, mainly because of the lousy return blocking by Miami. He didn't try and force things that just weren't there.
- Others?

Note that I don't believe that Welker would be a disappointment even if Troy ends up beating him out for a lot of playing time in 2007--it'd be fine to have him backup Troy for a year and learn. Don't think that'll happen though.

On the flip side, if Troy can't beat out Welker for any of these roles, it's going to be hard to get him on the game day roster if the DBs and WRs are healthy.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if Troy retired during training camp. Also, there could, easily, be a trade of someone like Gaffney. And, unless Washington finally starts living up to the billing he had coming out of school, he may not make the team.

Although Welker is often compared with Troy Brown, it's the Troy Brown of 1999 - 2001 - not the Troy Brown of 2007. As such they are not playing the same role anymore.

Troy hasn't been expected to return kicks for quite sometime... he's the sure hands guy, who only needs to catch and not fumble.

Additionally look for mulitple WR sets - especially in some 3rd and long situations... Welker, Moss, Stallworth, Caldwell - AND Troy could all be out there... and don't be surprised to see the ball go ten yards to Troy with so many diversions out there for the Defense to contend with

My concern is that Troy, as much as we all love him, may not help the team so much with leadership and mentoring and other great intangibles, if that comes at the cost of two talented players who have both present and future value for the team. Do we lose a Garrett Mills and/or a Chad Jackson and/or a Gaffney to have Troy around this year?

It may be a slot WR by committee sort of thing. If welker just returned a kick Troy could take his place for a down or two and vice versa.

We have bingo -- as it were.

Welker will get fewer reps than he would if Troy weren't on the team, but that won't mean Troy is ahead of Welker as an option for any particular role.

And when you really, really need a first down, and you send out Moss, Brown, Welker, a tight end, and Faulk -- just how are they going to defend against that?

Troy can play DB in a pinch and he has a lot of experience and savvy. He is also the consummate professional and will be a good example for the young guys. Welker is a skilled return man that is a very good slot receiver, however I am not as sure about his leadership skills. I could imagine seeing both Troy and Welker on the field in say 4 man sets on 3rd down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back