PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Calvin Ridley? No thanks. (EDIT: Signs With Titans)

Titans getting weappns for their young qb. Something Pats FO has not been able to accomplish. Pats got used by Ridley for his massive overpay

How’s that worked for the Chiefs?
They’ve drafted well, no argument here. I just think to build again, it needs to be both through FA and the draft. When you have this much cap space, you have the ability to pay for a known quantity, so why wouldn’t you? Drafting, your rolling the dice with an unknown

The old cliche about how our GM is so smart for not “overpaying” seems like its irrelevant.
Goal is to win games not be the most value conscious shopper
I do agree with your general premise, but not when it came to signing Ridley.

They’ve drafted well, no argument here. I just think to build again, it needs to be both through FA and the draft. When you have this much cap space, you have the ability to pay for a known quantity, so why wouldn’t you? Drafting, your rolling the dice with an unknown
The deal is Ridley isn’t that guy. FA has always been to sign players that put you over the top - not to build the team. You can’t build a team signing a player like Ridley.

Perfect example is Tyrek Hill. As great as he is, even he can’t put the team on his back. So I’m not paying a lessor guy like Ridley who has a history of quitting on his team.

Even if the Pats were in one of their Dynasty’s, this would’ve been a terrible signing.

Titans getting weappns for their young qb. Something Pats FO has not been able to accomplish. Pats got used by Ridley for his massive overpay
New Titans HC Brian Callahan bringing Cincy's O model south to Nashville.
Pollard, Ridley, teaming up with Hopkins....and the 7th pick in the draft to fill another big hole.

Another massive overpay. He’s top 5 in average per year, 2nd in fully guaranteed money and just shy of the top 5 in total value. Do teams even ask themselves is spending this type of money going to get us where we need to be?

This is why you build through the draft.
So the cap is based on money that players are getting, if one team overpays, but other teams have a salary floor they need to spend to.

So all teams are penalized by any team overpaying for a player.

Nice system.

The old cliche about how our GM is so smart for not “overpaying” seems like its irrelevant.
Goal is to win games not be the most value conscious shopper

And you win games by managing the cap effectively and not overpaying. This is especially true with the Pat's now with so may holes. Ridley was not going to be a game changer for the Pat's.

Lots of relievers available in the draft. I trust the current braintrust to identify value for the money based on what they have done so far.

I do agree with your general premise, but not when it came to signing Ridley.
I agree with you about Ridley. I do not think he wanted to pmay here as #1 receiver.
Still without that #1
Feels like Wolf is punting on this year.

I agree with you about Ridley. I do not think he wanted to pmay here as #1 receiver.
Still without that #1
Feels like Wolf is punting on this year.
Well I hope the plan is to build a team that will contend for years, rather than try for a quick fix that won’t hold up and will leave you worse than when you started.

The Pats would not be better by overpaying for a likely unmotivated Ridley.

The draft is a crap shoot, but this draft looks especially deep for WRs.

We just need to be patient, build a core base and resign your own and bolster culture and sign game changers as and when they come in and not every TDH .

49ers and chiefs are the ones to emulate.

Eagles are probably going to be in a 3 - 4 year rut down the line.

As for us we need to keep building a strong stable team till we find our qb and once we find that retire some mid tier players and sign few game changers and hope the qb can elevate the others. If we have the qb , I am spending only on 1 WR1 and 2 Offensive linemen. Rest all should be mix of rookies and 3- 5 million aav agents . That's how you can compete . You can stretch during rookie contract but not much outside of that. So in that vein texans are in great shape for next 4 years.

So, did Atlanta get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Ridley?

Didn’t we already see this movie? Sounds like they remade “The Hopkins Signing” again!

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back