PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler & Saints working towards finalizing a deal (Thread now UFC Pats Fans Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next, Sean Payton tells us that water is wet.
This is a stunning development. The Saints are giving up the #11 for Butler, the Browns are giving up #1 overall for Jimmy G, and Cleveland will also retroactively send us #12 for Jamie Collins (because Bill Belichick is going to scowl at them and intimidate them into giving it to us).

By April 27th, we're projected to have all 32 picks in the first round of the draft.

Source: PatsFans.com message board

This is a stunning development. The Saints are giving up the #11 for Butler, the Browns are giving up #1 overall for Jimmy G, and Cleveland will also retroactively send us #12 for Jamie Collins (because Bill Belichick is going to scowl at them and intimidate them into giving it to us).

By April 27th, we're projected to have all 32 picks in the first round of the draft.

Source: PatsFans.com message board

People wanting the Saints to give up their #11 pick to sign Butler is not the same as thinking it's gonna happen. Also contrary to what some people believe Saints signing Butler to an offer sheet would mean they were giving up their #11 pick. Not #32 or some 2nd round pick.

and no-one at any point thought Pats would get #1 for Garoppolo

Piss off.

Won't stop the idiots who were so convinced that Butler was discussed
And when NE gets back their #31 pick for Butler, you will pound the table calling the trade a "coincidence."
I bet you get lots of invitations to play poker

Not a shock that they won't risk #11. I think we will be lucky to get a 2 because of his age and the $$ he wants.
Everyone will feel differently, and I don't necessarily agree with a 2nd, but I'd have to think that you're much closer to that than any of this ridiculous talk about the #11th overall pick. Ultimately, I think #32 is fair.

Even though there is absolutely no evidence that it was discussed. These are the people that believe things in their gut; like the earth is flat and the sun revolves around the earth.

I just don't see a trade happening then. Why when we can have him play for 3.9 million and have a ridiculous pass D.
Yea, that'd be sweet but we know BB is all about value & the team's future stability. Might as well get something for Butler now rather than see him walk next year for nothing.

Wow, I almost spit almost my drink reading this. This is hilarious. If the Patriots and Saints discussed Butler, are so utterly naive that you think Sean Payton would publicly reveal that? (Knowing that a wink-wink, nudge-nudge discussion would be skirting the rules in a harmless way?)

Hey, changing gears, I have a bridge to sell you -- are you interested?

Too funny
The Saints have just said: we can't discuss a trade until the tender is signed....but maybe we'll trade for him.
No signal there....LMFAO

Think McFly...Think

So Butler has zero reason now to holdout in signing the offer sheet. No team is willing to part with their first round pick, and no team is going to emerge from the shadows within the next three weeks. What may happen, is that within these next three weeks, the Saints opt to use their free agency money elsewhere or decide to go with a draft prospect instead. Ultimately, Butler will need to sign the tender, so he might as well just sign it now and hope the Patriots and Saints complete the deal. The Patriots also might gain draft capital in the coming weeks and decide to keep him in 2017. I think Butler is being stubborn, and I don't even know what he's trying to accomplish now. The Patriots aren't going to give you what you want long-term, and they cannot trade you until you sign the tender.

He is correct, he must sign the tender and be under contact first.

Let's review the quote:

"The Patriots could also work out a trade with another club like New Orleans, but such a deal could only be completed after Butler signed his tender."

Nobody disagrees that a deal can only be *completed* when Butler signs the tender. The question that this thread has been dealing with is whether a team can *discuss* a trade before Butler signs the tender. This guy, writing for the NFL's own official website, indicates that the Patriots COULD "work out a trade with another club", but that that trade could only be COMPLETED when Butler signs the tender.

So do you disagree with him?

You must be kidding me?! Is this guy serious?

Realistically it can be done, #42 and a 2018 3rd or 4th (more likely)

So basically you are saying you would trade Butler for pick #42, because even if he leaves in FA after next year the Pats will get a 3rd round comp pick in 2019. I would rather have him play out 2017 at the bargain price of 3.9 million. Still hold his rights (via the franchise tag) and then maybe see if they can negotiate some sort of deal, or let him walk.

Could be done, sure.

However, the real question is: are these two picks more valuable than a year of Butler at 3,9M. A year in which he would be teaming up with Gilmore, McCourty and Chung to form perhaps the best secondary in the league.

I have no answer, but it is a very important question.

So Butler has zero reason now to holdout in signing the offer sheet.

Depending on how much hardball he wants to play that isn't true.

He can hold out to week 9? Sign the contract. Get his year done here and move on.

Im not gonna do the math but I think he still makes more money in 7 games under that tender minus money lost for weeks missed than he made for the entirety of last season.

If he's willing to bet on him self than he can do this

Actually if I was Butler's agent, I wouldn't have him sign the tender until just before training camp. He is not under contract and could hold out all of training camp and not risk getting fined. Butler will not see a dime from the Patriots until he gets his first game check (which my fine WHRHS education tells me will be $243,750 (before taxes)). So he really has no need to sign it, until he starts practicing (to protect himself against injury).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents