PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns' C Bentley possibly tears ACL today in camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2531239&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Updated: July 27, 2006, 10:38 AM ET

Browns center Bentley hurts knee first day of camp

ESPN.com news services

BEREA, Ohio -- Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley sustained an injury to his left knee during the Browns' first 11-on-11 drill of training camp on Thursday.

Bentley got tangled in a pile of players as he was blocking on a running play for Reuben Droughns.

Bentley screamed, "No," before remaining on his knees as the Browns moved their scrimmage up the field so trainers could attend to the 6-foot-2, 309-pound player.

He stayed on the ground in a seated position for several minutes before Cleveland's medical staff immobilized his left knee and carted him to the locker room.

Bentley covered his face with a towel on the short drive to the field house as Browns players and fans looked on in shock.

The extent of Bentley's injury is not yet known.

Bentley, a five-year veteran, signed as a free agent with the Browns in March.

Certainly sounds like an ACL:

1127739996_6168.jpg

Last edited:
Tough break for Romeo. Didn't they just throw a boat load of money at that guy? Let's hope he's OK.

he's worth any money they threw at him

i hope he is ok, i'm pulling for romeo to do well this year (and by well i mean somewhere behind the patriots)

imagine that, new team, new city, new season, first drill of the first day of training camp....that really stinks

The knee could be sprained or broken. It wasn't necessarily a ligament tear.

Damn I hate injuries :(

pats1 said:
Browns fans are claiming the curse lives:
We need to give them our list from the past few years :bricks:

Sounds like it MIGHT be the Patella Tendon which is a lot less bad. We'll see - I get tired of other teams' fans' woe is me act, though, after what we go through. Every team has injuries - except the Colts it seems.

I just had ACL surgery 2 weeks ago, this is one injury I wouldn't even wish upon an enemy. Lets hope its nothing more than a sprain.

The story has been updated:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2531239&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Updated: July 27, 2006, 12:10 PM ET

"I don't know what happened," quarterback Charlie Frye said. "You just hope it's not too serious. Right now, we're just praying for LeCharles."

Coach Romeo Crennel said Bentley was taken to a hospital for an MRI. Crennel wouldn't speculate on the nature of Bentley's injury.

"I'm going to wait until after the doctors see it," said Crennel, who wasn't sure how Bentley got hurt. "I hate to see anybody go down. Sometimes feet get tangled and guys end up on the ground."

Crennel had his players only in shoulder pads for the two-hour morning workout, hoping that staying out of full pads on Day 2 of camp would help them avoid injuries.

The Browns have been cursed with serious injuries the past few seasons. On Thursday, tight end Kellen Winslow practiced for the first time in two years in pads after missing the past two seasons with leg injuries.

Bentley, a two-time Pro Bowler who was regarded as one of the offseason's premier unrestricted free agents, signed a six-year, $36 million deal in March that included $12.5 million in guaranteed money.

Last edited:
ESPN said:
The Browns have been cursed with serious injuries the past few seasons.
You see, this is the sh!t I get tired of.

Harrison, Light, Koppen, Bruschi, etc. Quit the crying for other teams.

BelichickFan said:

Yah, but they are losing guys in really stupid ways. Like in practice, and in motor cycle accidents. Not actually playing in football games. That is what makes in a funny sorta sad.

Glad to hear it wasn't a tear, but they gave six million a year to a center?? WOW.

Yeah, he's awfully good but that's too much for a Center IMO. Injury isn't worst case but they'll be out of it long before he's back.

BelichickFan said:

So we're supposed to not feel bad about a team losing a pro-bowl player to serious injury just because the Patriots have had injuries in the past?

BelichickFan said:

Exactly. Nobody shed any tears for us.

patchick said:
So we're supposed to not feel bad about a team losing a pro-bowl player to serious injury just because the Patriots have had injuries in the past?
No, I said at the top that injuries suck. But you put the next guy in and move on.

ESPN confirms he's likely out for season with torn patella:

nfl_a_bentley_275.jpg

Updated: July 27, 2006, 6:27 PM ET
Browns center Bentley out for season with torn tendon
Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- Stretched out on a flatbed cart, LeCharles Bentley covered his face with a towel to hide his disappointment and tears.

This wasn't the homecoming he had planned.

His first season with the Cleveland Browns ended before it began.

Bentley, a two-time Pro Bowl center and one of the team's prized free-agent signings this winter, sustained a season-ending injury to his left knee on the first 11-on-11 drill of training camp Thursday -- a crushing blow for a club cursed by major injuries the past few seasons.

"He was the face of our free agent class," general manager Phil Savage said. "We feel terrible for LeCharles, but life goes on."

Savage said Bentley tore his patellar tendon and will undergo surgery as early as Friday. Savage declined to say if Bentley's tear was partial or complete and would not speculate on a timeframe for recovery.

Blocking for Reuben Droughns on an off-tackle running play to the right, Bentley, who played four years at New Orleans, was briefly engaged in a block up front with nose tackle Ted Washington when his left knee buckled.

Bentley screamed, "No!" and grabbed his knee as Cleveland coach Romeo Crennel and his staff blew their whistles to halt play. While on his knees, Bentley, one of the NFL's premier centers, punched the ground in disgust as the Browns moved their scrimmage up the field so the club's medical staff could attend to him.

Florio confirms:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 5:22 p.m. EDT, July 27, 2006

BENTLEY HAS TORN PATELLA TENDON

A league source tells us that it's "99.9 percent certain" that Browns center LeCharles Bentley has a torn patella tendon. He is expected have surgery within 24 hours and most likely will miss the entire 2006 season.

Ordinarily, we'd talk a little bit about the team's other options for replacing Bentley, who signed a big-money deal with the team on the first day of free agency after backing out of a wink-nod arrangement with the Eagles that had been negotiated prior to the "official" launch of the signing period.

We'd also take some time to comment on the possibility that karma might be to blame for the injury.

But, hey, we're on vacation. We'll leave it to whoever reports this story after us (and who doesn't give us credit for it) to deal with those details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft