Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting...

Post-Combine NFL Mock Draft - NFL Draft Preview - Rotoworld.com

31. Patriots -- Appalachian State wide receiver Brian Quick

Quick packs 220 pounds onto his 6-foot-4 frame, and his 34 1/4-inch arms were second longest among wideouts in Indianapolis. Answering questions about his long speed, Quick was timed "unofficially" as fast as 4.48 in the forty-yard dash. Patriots area scouts put a first-round grade on Quick's 2010-2011 tape, and he's every bit worth this pick for a team pursuing a vertical presence.

Very interesting...

Quick packs 220 pounds onto his 6-foot-4 frame, and his 34 1/4-inch arms were second longest among wideouts in Indianapolis. Answering questions about his long speed, Quick was timed "unofficially" as fast as 4.48 in the forty-yard dash. Patriots area scouts put a first-round grade on Quick's 2010-2011 tape, and he's every bit worth this pick for a team pursuing a vertical presence.

My favorite receiver in this draft, if we drafted him and traded for wallace or signing Jackson our deep threat percentage would skyrocket.

Very interesting...

While I don't want him at #31 I do like the kid in the 3rd, he got some very nice skills and is my favorite receiver in this draft.

While I don't want him at #31 I do like the kid in the 3rd, he got some very nice skills and is my favorite receiver in this draft.

Nice name but has he ever played against good competition?

Taylor Price never played against good competition.:cry2:

Nice name but has he ever played against good competition?

Taylor Price never played against good competition.:cry2:

He played for Appalachian State and constantly played against a lot of the top tier FCS programs. I think the whole "good competition" argument is flawed, especially at the FCS level. Granted, those teams aren't SEC caliber but a lot of them have multiple players from FBS programs who've transferred down (see Joe Flacco at Delaware and even Janoris Jenkins in this year's draft).

If you can play football, you can play football, period. Maybe there is a greater learning curve coming from a lower division or a bigger transition simply in terms of working out/adjusting to the general size of players at the NFL level but I think that's the real extent of it.

Worth noting: Randy Moss played at Marshall which was originally an FCS school. Terrell Owens also came from an FCS school in Tennessee-Chattanooga.

Last edited:
I've been doing a lot of reading and watching on Quick in the last week. Love this guy in terms of measurables.

Hoeevvvverrr...I look at this guy as another Taylor Price. Is this guy going to get a complex NFL system coming out of a pretty basic college one? I have my doubts and, right now, I have little faith in the Patriots drafting ability of WRs. Belichick hasn't a clue IMO.

Interviews will be big for him.

Last edited:
After rewatching the highlights of his game film from the past year, I think one of the most impressive things Quick showed was a very good ability to pick up yards after the catch. He has very good moves and balance while running with the ball, and shows some similarity to Hernandez's ability to juke defenders. With the Pats emphasis this past season on YAC, I wouldn't be surprised if they graded his film tape at a 1st round level. That said, he can grade out as a 1st round talent on tape, but he will also need good interviews.

All in all, he's going to be an interesting player to watch on draft day, since Stephen Hill is getting all of the attention as the big, fast, athletic WR with system questions at the moment. Could be another Mankins-like "reach" for the Pats at the end of a round for a less publicized prospect.

Appalachian St runs a spread option style offense like Urban Meyer or Oregon runs. Very different than the O that is run at Ohio U. There coach was at Nebraska prior to going to Ohio U in 2005.

Sounds like this kid was in a very different O that Price.

Appalachian St runs a spread option style offense like Urban Meyer or Oregon runs. Very different than the O that is run at Ohio U. There coach was at Nebraska prior to going to Ohio U in 2005.

Sounds like this kid was in a very different O that Price.

Not saying he was in a similar offense in terms of formations and plays but what they do have in common is this; basic route tree and offensive system.

These were run first offenses with simple reads and simple routes. My big question mark will be can he pick up a complex Patriots system?

Impressive 2011 stats I will say though. Again, interviews will be huge for this kid. The Pats will probably entertain a workout with him and sit him down in a classroom and see if he knows what he's talking about.

Again, interviews will be huge for this kid. The Pats will probably entertain a workout with him and sit him down in a classroom and see if he knows what he's talking about.

I don't know if he has a command of the Route Tree but he is peppy.

Combine Interview Studs and Duds - Cat Scratch Reader

"Brian Quick, Appalachian State WR: One front office man said he thought he was a refreshing young man who is full of energy and life."

I don't know if he has a command of the Route Tree but he is peppy.

Combine Interview Studs and Duds - Cat Scratch Reader

"Brian Quick, Appalachian State WR: One front office man said he thought he was a refreshing young man who is full of energy and life."

I've heard he interviewed extremely well at the combine. I would definitely go for a guy like this if the team felt he was able to pick up our system. He makes some beautiful grabs.

Not saying he was in a similar offense in terms of formations and plays but what they do have in common is this; basic route tree and offensive system.

These were run first offenses with simple reads and simple routes. My big question mark will be can he pick up a complex Patriots system?

Impressive 2011 stats I will say though. Again, interviews will be huge for this kid. The Pats will probably entertain a workout with him and sit him down in a classroom and see if he knows what he's talking about.

I like the Arkansas receivers because of their level of competition and the pro-style offense they pay in. Mallet may be able to offer some perspective as a teammate which should add another layer of comfort.

I would take WR Danny Coale in the later rounds. This guy put up 2 "unofficial" 4.40 in the 40 at the combine, showed great agility in the 3-cone with the second best time of 6.69. Could play in the slot or outside.

2012 NFL Scouting Combine: Virginia Tech receiver Danny Coale near perfect in route-running drills - NFL - Sporting News
- For a lesser-known prospect, it is hard to imagine how a player could do any better than Virginia Tech receiver Danny Coale, who sailed through the gauntlet drill at full speed without coming close to dropping a single pass.

They could create a "how-to" video based on Coale's performance for next year’s young prospects.

As the NFL coaches put receivers through 10 different routes from both sides of the field, Coale stood out Sunday at the Scouting Combine based on his precise route-running and soft hands.

I like the Arkansas receivers because of their level of competition and the pro-style offense they pay in. Mallet may be able to offer some perspective as a teammate which should add another layer of comfort.

Arkansas players are also tainted by their reputation for... well, no nice way of saying this, being stupid.

A player who may slip is Kendall Wright WR, Baylor. If he is there at 27 I wonder how the Patriots view him.

I would take WR Danny Coale in the later rounds. This guy put up 2 "unofficial" 4.40 in the 40 at the combine, showed great agility in the 3-cone with the second best time of 6.69. Could play in the slot or outside.

Unfortunately Coale's 40 time was officially adjusted to 4.5, even as a late pick it might just be more of the same thing that we have. I like the pats picking him if they gain a mid to late round pick, I'm not a big fan of Edelman.

Unfortunately Coale's 40 time was officially adjusted to 4.5, even as a late pick it might just be more of the same thing that we have. I like the pats picking him if they gain a mid to late round pick, I'm not a big fan of Edelman.

Still better than Welker. Could be taken by the Pats to grow under the best slot receiver in the business and take over when Welker retires. Actually is better that they raised his time to 4.5, as at 4.4 his time would have really stood up and someone would have taken a chance earlier on Welker 2.0.

Why dont you like Edelman?

Why dont you like Edelman?

At Special team, defensive backup, WR backup he's fine. He was only in 13.3% of offensive snaps, behind Branch and Ocho. He only had 9 catches for 69 yards in 23 games. At least 3 interceptions that were thrown at him this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes