PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that Tate is being considered for number 3 over julian edelman. this kid must be really good. in fact, before he blew out his knee in college, he was better than ex-teammate Hakeem Nicks, who is now with the midgets.

On special teams he was. On offense, that statement is a fallacy. He was never better than Nicks in college. It very well could change in the pro's though. :cool:

We still have to see if Brandon Tate can stay healthy for a decent length of time in the NFL.

And Edleman; Julian does not know how to avoid a big hit. He will not last long if plays as hit did against the Ravens.

And Welker.

For a variety of reasons that Patriots should keep Holt.

And Edleman; Julian does not know how to avoid a big hit. He will not last long if plays as hit did against the Ravens.

And Welker.

For a variety of reasons that Patriots should keep Holt.

The Ravens destroyed all of our receivers. It wasn't just Edelman.

I hope the best from this guy

The Patriots receiving group is pretty hot this year, tate has to prove himself, but I think he is going to have an excellent year with Moss and Welker taking all the coverage.

Aiken, Edelmen and a hobbled moss ain't a NFL receiving core.

SBB

From what you have seen in camp, what's your order for return guys?

It seems that in Chicago, they have the worst of both worlds with Devin Hester. A bad receiver who no longer is a dynamic returner.

If Tate is the best, is it too much to expect full time return duties and #3 receiver or return duties and a #3A/B role?

As a Kent State guy, does it look like Edelman could go "Josh Cribbs". Returner with creative touches and some slot work?

Looks like Tate is getting a good solig look at KR and Edelman PR.

On special teams he was. On offense, that statement is a fallacy. He was never better than Nicks in college. It very well could change in the pro's though. :cool:
Tate was playing better than Nicks at the beginning of their senior season before he blew out his knee.

Actually that's debatable, he stole the offense from Nicks at the start of his senior season.

Through five games - 16 receptions, 376 yards, 23.5 yards per catch average, 11 rushing attempts, 143 yards, 13 yards per rush average, 4 total TDs. Nicks at that time had 412 yards on 24 receptions. So maybe Tate wasn't the number "one" receiver, but that final year - he became a monster. Which is why everyone was saying he would be picked ahead of Nicks pre ACL tear. He was more talented, just raw as a receiver.

EDIT - Didn't weed do him over in the draft stock area too? I can't remember, but I'm thinking it was him, 'cause nobody wants to draft the injured pothead. I was honestly shocked he lasted until the third even injured.

OH AND ONE MORE THING! Remember all the players that have failed marijuana drug tests...

Percy Harvin, Brandon Tate, Aaron Hernandez, and Santonio Holmes.. Who says weed is bad? I thought it made you slow...

Last edited:
Tate was playing better than Nicks at the beginning of their senior season before he blew out his knee.

He was playing well, but he wasn't playing better than Nicks. He was still the #2 to Nicks' #1.

Actually that's debatable, he stole the offense from Nicks at the start of his senior season.

Through five games - 16 receptions, 376 yards, 23.5 yards per catch average, 11 rushing attempts, 143 yards, 13 yards per rush average, 4 total TDs. Nicks at that time had 412 yards on 24 receptions. So maybe Tate wasn't the number "one" receiver, but that final year - he became a monster. Which is why everyone was saying he would be picked ahead of Nicks pre ACL tear. He was more talented, just raw as a receiver.

EDIT - Didn't weed do him over in the draft stock area too? I can't remember, but I'm thinking it was him, 'cause nobody wants to draft the injured pothead. I was honestly shocked he lasted until the third even injured.

OH AND ONE MORE THING! Remember all the players that have failed marijuana drug tests...

Percy Harvin, Brandon Tate, Aaron Hernandez, and Santonio Holmes.. Who says weed is bad? I thought it made you slow...

Yep. Like I just said, he was playing well, but he wasn't the #1 option in their offense. That was Nicks. Tate did come into his own but Nicks had pretty thoroughly outplayed him throughout their college careers and was outplaying him before Tate got injured. This all doesn't mean that Tate can't leapfrog Nicks in this system on this team in their professional careers though.

He was playing well, but he wasn't playing better than Nicks. He was still the #2 to Nicks' #1.

Yep. Like I just said, he was playing well, but he wasn't the #1 option in their offense. That was Nicks. Tate did come into his own but Nicks had pretty thoroughly outplayed him throughout their college careers and was outplaying him before Tate got injured. This all doesn't mean that Tate can't leapfrog Nicks in this system on this team in their professional careers though.

I think we're talking about different things. My point was Tate was the better player his senior year. Even on offense. Add his carries to catches and he touched the ball more than Nicks anyways.

Tate and Nicks was somewhat like Welker and Moss. Moss might be the number "one" but sometimes Welker is the better player.

Last edited:
i know he looks great in TC playing catch with brady, but when the lights go on and it's time to play real football can he get it done ? i want to see him become at lest the kick return man he was at North Carolina

I think we're talking about different things. My point was Tate was the better player his senior year. Even on offense. Add his carries to catches and he touched the ball more than Nicks anyways.

Tate and Nicks was somewhat like Welker and Moss. Moss might be the number "one" but sometimes Welker is the better player.

I agree that you can't even compare the two on special teams. But Nicks definitely gets the edge on offense through the first few weeks of their senior year. He was the true #1 option while Tate was #2. With the sample size we have, I think it's pretty safe to say that Nicks was the better player. If Tate had the whole season, who knows? Maybe he is on the Giants and Nicks falls to us later on. But, with what actually went down, Nicks was the better player out of the two in every season.

Well, Nicks is going to be a beast for the Giants. I don't know how good Tate will be at WR but I have very high expectations for him as a KR.

I like the reports coming from TC on him.

And as others said, Tate may well become a better player than Nicks in our system, but it could be very different if they were on the same team again!

Tate and Nicks somewhat like Welker and Moss? You have to be kidding me. That Carolina team was flashy but a classic UNC mediocrity. Carolina football is absolutely no predictor of pro success. The basketball program attracts top flight talent and is a pretty steady source of solid and sometimes better pros.

Tate is fighting to make the team and if he does, he's what, the #4 or #5 option behind the tight ends?

It would be great if this guy stays healthy and catches a couple of passes a game just to keep defenses honest and safeties from rotating to Moss' slot on every play. Randy Moss is amazing to me how he gets jammed, has coverage come his way and is willing to play possession and short yardage downs knowing he'll get popped on every play. If Tate can be a shadow of Dante Stallworth and earn a little attention from a CB and the safety on his side, it would be great.

Tate and Nicks somewhat like Welker and Moss? You have to be kidding me. That Carolina team was flashy but a classic UNC mediocrity. Carolina football is absolutely no predictor of pro success. The basketball program attracts top flight talent and is a pretty steady source of solid and sometimes better pros.

Tate is fighting to make the team and if he does, he's what, the #4 or #5 option behind the tight ends?

It would be great if this guy stays healthy and catches a couple of passes a game just to keep defenses honest and safeties from rotating to Moss' slot on every play. Randy Moss is amazing to me how he gets jammed, has coverage come his way and is willing to play possession and short yardage downs knowing he'll get popped on every play. If Tate can be a shadow of Dante Stallworth and earn a little attention from a CB and the safety on his side, it would be great.

Tate looks like the number 2 wr in camp atm

I think the most important thing here is we still maintain Moss and Welker, who are deadly even without a real 3rd receiver. Now we have so many viable options for a #3 that we're discussing cutting one of the best receivers of the last 10 years.
As long as Brady gets a few seconds to breath I think we are one of the deadliest offenses in the NFL this year.

Who gives a sh*t about how Tate faired in College in comparison to Hakeem Nicks? What baring does that have on his career as a professional player with us?

Here's the answer - nothing. Get over it and move on.

Last edited:
Well, Nicks is going to be a beast for the Giants. I don't know how good Tate will be at WR but I have very high expectations for him as a KR.

Yes, let's all listen to the assman. The assman is wise.

Yes, let's all listen to the assman. The assman is wise.

He must be a proctologist........bet he has some good stories.........it was a million to one shot doc a million to one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News