PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes news: late for team meeting, was going to be released; could've played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brandon Spikes news: late for team meeting, was going to be released; could've pl

if this story is true I don't see why they would not just cut him his a FA after the season ? so its one of two things #1 the story ant true or #2 they did not want this story to get out

Re: Brandon Spikes news: late for team meeting, was going to be released; could've pl

While people may dismiss them, espn's "sources" are the best. Someone in the patriots origination leaked this information and i wouldn't be shocked if it was spikes.

Spikes' agent is a member of the Patriots' organization? He is the most likely source.

Do you honestly think the pats didn't try to hide this story because they didn't want it to be an distraction?

I agree with Nut's good counsel above.

I am not making any assumptions either way YET - - especially when good beat reporters like Howe and Guregian are reporting their source as saying it is BS.

You may want to run with it as fast as you can. That is your choice.

Here's what IS true, "Coolguy":

Just before their 1st playoff game of this season, ESPN is "breaking this story" and Albert Breer of NFL.com is tweeting rapidly his interviews (which were NOT done today) with Pats players about the effect of Aaron Hernandez-Gate - just look at the tweet bar on this page above.

Now think REAL HARD for a second, WHO is managing distractions and in what direction, Coolguy?

Last edited:

I understand BB's philosophy here. He wants to do everything he can to make a gray area as black and white as possible and leave no team rules subject to misinterpretation.

Spikes was late to practice. The team has rules and pre-defined penalties for the offense.

Apparently this was not the first time for Spikes. Because of that, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. If Spikes had never been late to a practice in his history with the team, I would speculate that BB would give him the benefit of the doubt.

We all understand he is playing on a damaged knee. Really doesn't make sense use the IR as the penalty because the guy because he was late to practice. I would assume that they would have deactivated him and kept it in house.

if this story is true I don't see why they would not just cut him his a FA after the season ? so its one of two things #1 the story ant true or #2 they did not want this story to get out

If they IR him rather than release him then the team could possibly recoup some form of a compensatory draft pick when he signs elsewhere two months from now.

Sounds like a camp fire story to me. Spikes was playing on a torn ligament and on Sunday it looked like his knee just crumbled.

Yeah, what a bum. He obviously could have played indefinitely on a torn ligament that gave way on him.

Sounds strange, but it's not like ESPN would make up a story just to stir things up.

Sorry I'm late, my leg fell off!!

If what Mortensen said is true anyone who thinks that this was only because of being late for a meeting is kinda dumb, imo.

While people may dismiss them, espn's "sources" are the best. Someone in the patriots origination leaked this information and i wouldn't be shocked if it was spikes.

I haven't read all of the discussion, but Jeff Howe counters that the report is unfounded and untrue.

If memory serves, Mortensen was among the clowns reporting that Mankins left the area and was not returning to the Pats due to his level of discord with the Pats. After news of the contract was reported, Mankins explained he was in the area pretty much the whole time the negotiations were ongoing.

This Spikes news seems like very convenient timing, almost a week after the IR designation and right before the game. Somehow, Howe sounds a bit more logical in his counter-report.

It's hilarious how people are buying this obvious made up story.

If anyone put this story out it was his agent and the last time I checked Spikes' agent was Drew Rosenhaus.

Rosenhaus doesn't just leak stuff to one person. He would have leaked it to Glazer, Florio, and others as well. Having all those guys report the story quoting their own source gives the story more credibility. Yet everyone reporting this is citing Mortensen.

Florio didn't even report on this, some other PFT writer did. Florio is a Rosenhaus guy that never passes on a chance to write a Patriots hit piece.

Defensive snaps - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Snap counts for Spikes over the last few weeks:

Week 17 vs Buffalo: 44 of 70
- Hightower 56, Collins 48, Fletcher 17

Week 16 vs Ravens: 43 of 73
- Hightower 68, Collins 33, Beauharnais 1, White 1

Week 15 vs Dolphins: 21 of 63
- Hightower 40, Collins 29, Fletcher 23

Considering the upcoming opponents - Colts, then hopefully either the Chargers or Broncos - I would think that Spikes' role in those game plans would be relatively small.

Snaps: Reserve LBs do their part - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Week 12 vs Broncos:
Spikes 68 of 90
Fletcher 57 of 90
Hightower 33 of 90
Collins 22 of 90

It's really incredible the sports network is just lying and making up stories. I know it shouldn't be, but it's just ridiculous they don't have any integrity at all.

Unfortunately, I'm sure Reiss won't get involved, I wouldn't if it was my employer. Thanks to Howe and whoever else for calling Mortensen a liar.

Not saying that I do or don't believe in the story, but the answer to your question comes in 2 forms:

1. It allows Spikes to collect his playoff money while not filing a grievance with the league

2. It prevents another team from picking him up

The only way Spikes would lose his playoff money is if he were on the roster of another AFC team.

I once left for a practice 2 hours early, in good weather, because I wanted to get some gym work in ahead of time. Due to traffic conditions that arose after I left, I was an hour late for practice and never got to the gym.

**** happens.
**** does happen but it's up to Spikes to communicate his tardiness and if he had time to tweet looking for a ride, he had time to call his employer. Now this presumes he did not do that. If he did AND this report is true then it's fairly obvious that there was something larger in play going on (like a history if similar issues that the organization doesn't tolerate).

But who knows, ESPN could be way off the mark or more information may come out during the week that sheds some more light on what really happened.

A question I asked several pages ago still hasn't been answered. Why Mort? Has he even BEEN to Foxboro other than when the network has a game here? In all the years he's been at ESPN has he EVER scooped a story on the Pats? Then HOW has Mort gotten a story that no one else had? Its Rubbish as Jeff Howe suggests, yet even after its been debunked is running as if it were true. Maybe....and I mean MAYBE if it had come from Shechter it would have had a bit more credence.

Also the timing is more than suspect. What really pisses me off is that we should be discussing game strategy on my thread, instead of this crap. :mad: ;)

A question I asked several pages ago still hasn't been answered. Why Mort? Has he even BEEN to Foxboro other than when the network has a game here? In all the years he's been at ESPN has he EVER scooped a story on the Pats? Then HOW has Mort gotten a story that no one else had? Its Rubbish as Jeff Howe suggests, yet even after its been debunked is running as if it were true. Maybe....and I mean MAYBE if it had come from Shechter it would have had a bit more credence.

Also the timing is more than suspect. What really pisses me off is that we should be discussing game strategy on my thread, instead of this crap. :mad: ;)

Espn "sources" are relentless. They were first to find out about gronks injury, peyton's team choice, bounty gate and more .

Rapaport and Howe both say it's untrue according to their sources.

Maybe after Buffalo Spikes assumed his season was over. There must be an official evaluation a player has to go to before getting placed on IR. He isn't a team leader so it may not be out of character for him to just skip and miss team duties if he can't play.

Overall tough situation.

Rapaport and Howe both say it's untrue according to their sources.

I'll go with this also ...

That he is injured pretty much makes it a non story until it's the off season / pre draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST