PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Browner not at practice Thursday Oct 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodney was actually allowed to freelance quite a bit, everything being considered. More than any other safety we've had since BB was here.

I may be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain the reason he was allowed to freelance is because he understood the defensive concepts enough to make his own adjustments, not because BB said, "Okay Rodney, go do whatever the hell you want."

Only on Patsfans does Ryan Mallet get a 2nd round pick and Brandon Browner a 3rd....:rolleyes:
Maybe he was out refilling his HGH, aderall, molly or whatever it was prescription....:D

Wouldn't really blame it on BB if he doesn't want to change his whole defense to a "just go out and play" defense just because of Browner. Revis is a player you build around. Browner absolutely is not. I think Browner is extremely overrated on this forum because of some highlights with hard hits from him. Yes he hits hard. Probably the hardest hitting corner in the league. But as a cover corner he is far from the top.
I suspect Belichick had a pretty good idea of what he was getting with Browner, your concerns nothwithstanding..

just let browner go out play.
i actually agree with sherman. lol

Only on Patsfans does Ryan Mallet get a 2nd round pick and Brandon Browner a 3rd....:rolleyes:
Maybe he was out refilling his HGH, aderall, molly or whatever it was prescription....:D

Come on. A low 3rd (which is what I said) is on the high side but when talking about a starting caliber CB is not some kind of huge stretch. I think Browner can be a decent #2 in a lot of schemes. He seems to be having trouble with ours though.

People here were quick to anoint him a shut down CB. I did not. Now people seem to undervalue him and have gone to far in the other direction.

In a man on man bump at the line scheme he is effective. He was last year and the year before. I have no reason to think he won't be this year given the chance. BB wants him to do more it seems and that is his fault if he expected it.

Edit: Also neither this year or last year did I think we could get anything near a 2nd for Mallet.

just let browner go out play.
i actually agree with sherman. lol

I agree. Browner is a on trick pony and BB won't change it now. Let him do his 1 trick and he can be effective at CB for the Pats I have no doubt.

I may be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain the reason he was allowed to freelance is because he understood the defensive concepts enough to make his own adjustments, not because BB said, "Okay Rodney, go do whatever the hell you want."

Either that, or BB trusted his instincts. Either way, you may be correct, but your previous post didn't have that caveat. You were speaking as if Rodney never freelanced at all out there. Further, we're not even sure if this report is correct.

So who gave that info to Howe because there is no way he just came up with it on is own. Same source that said said Dobson was benched? I'm not saying Howe is wrong. I'm just a little snake bitten from last week.

Either that, or BB trusted his instincts. Either way, you may be correct, but your previous post didn't have that caveat. You were speaking as if Rodney never freelanced at all out there. Further, we're not even sure if this report is correct.

Fair points on both counts, especially on the report (as we've seen lately, reports such as these are highly suspect).

This is going to sound like BS so whatever, but Ty Law told me directly that he and Rodney used to sometimes switch positions between CB and S (most famously during the 2003 AFCCG) and BB was OK with it but with the caveat that "you guys better not screw up." Those 2 guys would call it on the field between themselves.

Dennard is looking banged up since training camp, already had injuries last season, including a minor knee surgery, Arrington also had groin injury last season, Revis is not looking a lot durable, we are deep at CB but that can change in a minute, we still need depth there and Browner will be useful.

If he's not ready yet let's work him until he is, I hope the coaching staff can work on this matter.

Unless they have already given up on him .... if Browner is indeed struggling to learn the defense then shouldn't he be out there at ..... practice .... getting the reps in instead of being somewhere else that is not on the practice field?

And also Ty Law told me that they're definitely trading Browner for Larry Fitzgerald.

OK, that one was a lie.

One other (real) thing Ty told me is that Aqib Talib and Revis are not in the same universe, play-wise. That was after I said something positive about Talib to him. And that happened when Talib was on the Pats. Ty loves Revis (and vice versa).

And also Ty Law told me that they're definitely trading Browner for Larry Fitzgerald.
If the Pats tossed in Amendola I'd say, go for it :p

So who gave that info to Howe because there is no way he just came up with it on is own. Same source that said said Dobson was benched? I'm not saying Howe is wrong. I'm just a little snake bitten from last week.

Journalism was my major before I bailed out and went into business. Yes, there is a way he just came up with it on his own. There's also a possibility that someone in the organization gave him bad info. There's also a possibility that it's correct, though.

OK, that one was a lie.

One other (real) thing Ty told me is that Aqib Talib and Revis are not in the same universe, play-wise. That was after I said something positive about Talib to him. And that happened when Talib was on the Pats. Ty loves Revis (and vice versa).
Same home town and high school, I believe.

I fully agree with Ty, but let's also make full disclosure that Ty and Revis are family friends from the same town of Aliquippa, PA. Ty isn't really an impartial observer on this subject.

[Post edit: Oops, I see that has already been pointed out]

I agree with this sentiment. We have the talent out there to just let them go out and play instead of over complicating it.

I love the Pats and what they have done in recent history. But...sometimes I feel like they outsmart themselves. Running an offense and defense as complicated as they do is great when everything works as hoped. But when it does not it's just players under performing, or getting cut because the system is too complicated for them to pick up. If we are really having that much trouble picking up an outside receiver, maybe the scheme should change. There are receivers out there in the draft or free agency every year but we always hear how they are not a good fit for our system. If we are always going without a deep threat because nobody can learn the system then maybe that's an indication of issues with the system. Not with every single WR in college and free agency. Yeah, yeah, Dobson. I am hopeful about him. But until he actually plays a meaningful amount of games forgive me for resting the future of the team on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back