PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch has restructured and Pats are working on Welker extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Branch didn't break the contract, which is impossible to do.

He simply sat out, which is well within the rights of the contract. It's a similar right that allows nfl teams to terminate contracts early instead of honoring them till they end.

I can't believe anyone would have an issue with what Branch did. The Patriots abused their leverage by initially forcing him into a 5 year rookie deal (which is now illegal btw) What is a 21 year old rookie supposed to do? He had to sign it, even tho every other single 2nd rounder had a 4 year deal.

So what happens? He plays his butt off for four years and is a major factor in two super bowl titles. His fifth year rolls around and he finally has leverage on the patriots. Obviously he wants a new deal to secure his financial future. The Patriots don't think he is worth the money he is looking for and actually allow him to test the market with other teams.

The Patriots were wrong in this case. The underestimated the value of the market for Branch and Seattle offered him a deal that the Patriots were unwilling to match.

As for this nonsense about honoring your contract. The Patriots refuse to honor their contracts all the time. They constantly cut guys that are overpaid. How is this any different than a player holding out when they are underpaid. This is not slavery. Signing a contract simply means that team holds your rights. It does not in any way say you have to play. In fact the contract actually acknowledges that a player only has to show up for 6 games in order for to get credit for the year.

Anyone worth their salt wants fair value for themselves. Personally I have more respect for players that stand up for themselves and demand they are treated fairly. NFL teams use all available tools and leverage at their disposal in the contract negotiation process. The one tool the players have is to sit out. Branch did, and secured his financial future. I'm sure he wished he could have done it without leaving the Patriots, but that is their fault not his.

The same thing is happening with Mankins. This policy of forcing players to play out their rookie contracts is quite stupid imo. It stresses the relationship and if the player reaches free agency it can dramatically increase their contract price.

My issues with Branch, and I think many here had the same issues, were that he was overvaluing himself (as Seattle sadly discovered) but even moreso that he flat out lied. He stated in April he would honor his contract and not hold out...and then he held out. There was also the little matter of his scumball agent and Tannenbaum playing the tamper game for leverage. No one expected him to just be happy playing for $900K. The Patriots wanted to get his deal done, they just wanted to fold his rookie deal into the extension, as they just did with the final year of Brady's deal. It became almost impossible to get a deal done once he commenced the holdout, much like Mankins. It was never a case of asking him to just play out the 5th year for his salary on the books. He would have gotten a signing bonus and starting that year and whatever guarantees or first 3 beginning that year. One of his issues was that Givens made more than he did in 2005. Well...Givens outplayed his rookie deal too, only his was a 3 year 7th round deal and as a result he was a RFA in 2005. Still made a lot less than Deion throughout. It is what it is in this business. I think where the Patriots make the mistake is in not getting a read on the depth of determination these guys have when it comes to their business. But sometimes that's understandable because these guys often send mixed messages...

In the immortal words of Phillip J. Fry: "I'M WALKIN ON SUNSHINE OH OH! I'M WALKIN ON SUNSHINE OH OH! I'M WALKIN ON SUNSHINE OH OH!"

Yep, don't underestimate the role that the Jests and his agent had in his leaving.

For those who hate the Moss trade. Keep in mind a Welker extension is almost impossible without the trade. Moss would have gone ballistic if WW who has a contract thru 2011 got extended and Moss was not.

Here is the article if you want to click on a Borgie piece... No details on what he reduced his 2011 base salary to (was scheduled for $5.95M) only that he can earn up to $4M in a heavily incentivized restructure. He doesn't lose any money from 2010. No details on what the Welker deal might entail, either, just that they're working on it.

Deion Branch, Patriots adjust final year of contract - BostonHerald.com
It's a nice move. Didn't Moss do pretty much the same thing when he was traded here?

Not that it matters a whole lot. As long as Brady is smiling, the Pats will be in good shape, and Brady seems to have wanted Branch. Tom takes less $$$ so the Pats can sign receivers, so give Tom what he wants.

Go Pats!

My issues with Branch, and I think many here had the same issues, were that he was overvaluing himself (as Seattle sadly discovered) but even moreso that he flat out lied. He stated in April he would honor his contract and not hold out...and then he held out. There was also the little matter of his scumball agent and Tannenbaum playing the tamper game for leverage. No one expected him to just be happy playing for $900K. The Patriots wanted to get his deal done, they just wanted to fold his rookie deal into the extension, as they just did with the final year of Brady's deal. It became almost impossible to get a deal done once he commenced the holdout, much like Mankins. It was never a case of asking him to just play out the 5th year for his salary on the books. He would have gotten a signing bonus and starting that year and whatever guarantees or first 3 beginning that year. One of his issues was that Givens made more than he did in 2005. Well...Givens outplayed his rookie deal too, only his was a 3 year 7th round deal and as a result he was a RFA in 2005. Still made a lot less than Deion throughout. It is what it is in this business. I think where the Patriots make the mistake is in not getting a read on the depth of determination these guys have when it comes to their business. But sometimes that's understandable because these guys often send mixed messages...

I think he simply changed his mind (re: holdout) rather than lied knowing he would hold out. If he determined it was best for him personally, I would not expect him to NOT do what is best for him just because he said something before publicly. He's human.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents