PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Box: Any week 4 updates?? Spann. ZSmith with TDs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Any week 4 updates?? Hoping to see the Rhein game or Cologne's...Apparently Spann intecepted a late pass and ran it in for a score..Also ZSmith had 2 as well...Hopefully the NFL channel will be OK..

Ray Ventrone - Bubba played a very nice game, particularly looking good on Special Teams.

He wound up man on WRs, FB, and TE several times and did a nice job of coverage. The TE in particular towered over him, but wasn't open enough for the QB. Frankfurt tried twice to sneak the FB out to the flat hiding behind the O-line, but Ray picked up on it both times and was on him in tight coverage both times. Butch Davis reports Cologne secondary is only allowing 42% completion rate thus far in the season.

Took on the FB and OL several times in run force, plugging holes and diverting the RB more often than not. He made some nice tackles coming up from deep cover to make the tackle or knifing through the trash to wrap up the RB. The best thing he did on run plays was maintain backside containment, his fellows didn't do that as well, leading to some nice gains whenever the play started at Ray, then cut back.

Cologne plays a Tampa Cover Two, whenever Cologne didn't have Ray down in the box he was deep in a safety zone; both last week and again this week it is noticable that the offense goes away from him more often than not (whether this is because the play goes away from the strong safety or away from Ray Ventrone is unknown). Ray covered an awful lot of the field to be around the ball or make a solid tackle when the guys up front missed.

Special Teams - Ray is on the PR and KO coverage units:

Punt Return - I don't recall seeing this formation used by the Pats, but Cologne has two blockers 20 yds deep in the middle, they come out and join the gunner-blocker to corral the gunner. Ray and his gunner blocker never allowed the gunner near the PR, beating him up in approved gunner-bashing style.

KO Coverage - Ray made two nice plays. (1) Came down and took on a member of the wall, fought through the block to clean up the tackle after two of the other guys each got a hand on the KR to slow him. (2) Hustled to get back downfield and in position to make a play on the KR (like Patrick Pass and Ben Watson last season) after he went away from Ray and beat everybody but the kicker. One of the burners caught the KR from behind, but Ray did a heck of a job to get back into the play before the tackle was made.

Penalties?1010101010

jczxohn1 said:
Penalties?1010101010
Lets see, none on Ventrone, none on Steitz, none on Spann, none on Smith....have I missed anyone to date? :p

Rich Musinski - Earned his first start. 2 catches for 33 yards according to one graphic with a few minutes left in the game. Was the target on an int where the MLB undercut the route - the color man was a QB in Barcelona and a running QB at Howard, he claimed the int was Rich's mistake for continuing the route instead of cutting it off and squatting in a seam of the zone - I couldn't say one way or the other on the specifics of route running - he did make a nice tackle on the MLB. Rich made a great reception on a sideline go route that got him behind the CB, if the QB hadn't overthrown it a tad he would have been in for a TD, as it was, he went up for the ball and managed to get his feet down in bounds before going out. He blocked an OLB on a run play at the beginning were I saw a stretched jersey, but no flag and the LB was out of the play....He was on the KO unit and showed some excellent hustle, on the KR unit he had a really nice block on a long gainer called back when one of his buds pulled some jersey. Not a great day, but none of the WRs for Berlin did any better.

Jeff Roehl - Handled this DE pretty well last time, but was working a lot harder this time. In most cases he controlled the guy, but he did get burned, possibly because the national player had learned some better technique since week one and surprised him. Was beaten once for a TFL. Probably should have been flagged for holding 2-3 times. Did a nice job of sealing the end on plays outside the tackle, and looked good when he pulled. Fair at the second level, no where near as smooth as Steitz. His LG and he had some communications issues that hurt a little. A pretty good outing, he got a good workout and didn't let the QB get killed more than once on a delayed blitz that caught him inside.

RB Marty Johnson, 5’11†225 Free Agent out of Utah did a very nice job of running withn power and speed, made a WR leap, catch, twist, and two feet down play in the back of the end zone, as well as one more catch I can remember. I'd be talking to him about pushing Patrick Pass if he can put together another game like this.

PK Ryan Killeen, a Seattle allocation out of USC, is one to watch. 48 TBs on 92 KOs at USC, 4 for 5 or 5 for 6 in NLFE so far, long of 44, 1 blocked.

Box....you know who looks quite good over the middle?? Scott McCready..a posession receiver..he is 29...was with the Pats..PSqd..a few years ago....
I also think there is a RB Jackson?? who is a FA..

Pats726 said:
Box....you know who looks quite good over the middle?? Scott McCready..a posession receiver..he is 29...was with the Pats..PSqd..a few years ago....
I also think there is a RB Jackson?? who is a FA..
McCready didn't do as well in this game, some kid named Spann made his life difficult. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News