PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blog: Belichick's Q+A from Monday Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_Price

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Here's the complete Q+A with Bill Belichick this morning. The head coach had a skip in his step today. It's heavy on the Bon Jovi, Ty Warren, Willie Andrews and Kevin Faulk. Also, check out the subtle shot at Bill Parcells:

http://www.patsfans.com/price/blog/?q=node/366

Thanks,
Chris

Interesting interview.
It looks like Ty Warren is a KEEPER.

Excerpt:

"What does Ty Warren bring to your defensive line? It just seems like he does his job quietly.
I think that Ty does it quietly. I think he does it really well. I think Ty is one of the players that I would say, in my coaching career, that has just steadily improved since the day he got here and he continues to improve and he is better this week than he was last week. He is a guy that you go to in the offseason and say, ‘Ty, these are our goals in the offseason. These are the things that we’re going to work on to get better,’ and he’ll come to training camp and those things will be better. If you talk to him on a week-to-week basis, ‘We have to improve this. We have to read that better. We have to do this technique better,’ and he works on it and he gets better at it. He is better this year than he was last year. He was better last year than he was the year before. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Ty and his work ethic and his dedication and his willingness to do what you ask him to do. I’ve said those things about Kevin Faulk. Ty is very much like that. If you tell him what he needs to do to get better, he goes out there and does it. He is a good football player.

If you ever want to use a guy as an example to the younger players defensively, is Ty someone you would use?
Yes, Ty is a great example for any player, young or old to look at, because he is in good condition, he works hard. He plays the position the way that he is being asked to play it by the coach. He's a total team player. I think anybody can look at that and take a good example from it, whether it is me, a rookie, a 10-year veteran, a 10-year Pro Bowl player. He does his job. He does it well and he is very committed and dedicated to it. I don't know how you can ask a guy to do any more than that."

Also an interesting excerpt on TBC making a heads up play and saving us yards:

"How about [Tully] Banta Cain? How is he coming along?
I think this has been Tully’s best camp. It’s also the one where he’s probably gotten the most opportunity in a couple years. Of course, Rosie [Colvin] got hurt in the ’03 season, but he was here all through camp and had a good camp. We’ve had three pretty good players at that position, and he’s gotten a chance to play more this year, and he’s more experienced. I think he’s had good camp so far. I hope he can continue to make the same kind of progress that he’s made the first two and a half weeks because I think he can help us. He’s got a number of things that he does well. As usual, with a young player, it comes to consistency and being able to do it on a regular basis. That’s what he has to establish.

In the game against Atlanta, there was a play where, I think it was a crossing pattern, and Tully dropped in coverage. What was your evaluation of that play?
I know exactly the play you’re talking about. It was an interesting play because really that wasn’t his man at all. It wasn’t his responsibility. The way the play unfolded, he kind of saw that there wasn’t anybody else there where there really should have been, and he just hung with him and I’m sure it looked like to anybody watching the play that he got beat on the play and it was close. He was pretty competitive, he was right there to make the play on the tackle on the catch. It really wasn’t his man at all, and he just kind of instinctively saw that nobody else was going to get him and he stuck with him. Even though the guy made the catch and all that, I thought it was a really good play and a heads-up play on his part. It was poorly played by two other players, really the guy should have been wide open, nobody within 20 yards of him based on the way the other people reacted. It’s funny you mentioned that, I thought that was one of the best plays in the game that he made. It wasn’t even his play. The guy caught the ball and it looked like it was his fault, but he probably saved us 20 yards after that. It’s funny that you mention that because it really was an interesting play."

maverick4 said:
In the game against Atlanta, there was a play where, I think it was a crossing pattern, and Tully dropped in coverage. What was your evaluation of that play?
I know exactly the play you’re talking about. It was an interesting play because really that wasn’t his man at all. It wasn’t his responsibility. The way the play unfolded, he kind of saw that there wasn’t anybody else there where there really should have been, and he just hung with him and I’m sure it looked like to anybody watching the play that he got beat on the play and it was close. He was pretty competitive, he was right there to make the play on the tackle on the catch. It really wasn’t his man at all, and he just kind of instinctively saw that nobody else was going to get him and he stuck with him. Even though the guy made the catch and all that, I thought it was a really good play and a heads-up play on his part. It was poorly played by two other players, really the guy should have been wide open, nobody within 20 yards of him based on the way the other people reacted. It’s funny you mentioned that, I thought that was one of the best plays in the game that he made. It wasn’t even his play. The guy caught the ball and it looked like it was his fault, but he probably saved us 20 yards after that. It’s funny that you mention that because it really was an interesting play."
I wonder how many times we blame players because for us tehy looked bad but they reeally were exceptional. Remember how we all trashed Gay when Plaxico caught that TD? Badmouthed him for two days until Rodney mentioned that he was out of position on the play and the TD was his fault. Oops.

I don't mean that lack of information should stop us from yakking. Heaven forbid. It's what we do. But it is funny sometimes.

spacecrime said:
I wonder how many times we blame players because for us tehy looked bad but they reeally were exceptional. Remember how we all trashed Gay when Plaxico caught that TD? Badmouthed him for two days until Rodney mentioned that he was out of position on the play and the TD was his fault. Oops.

I don't mean that lack of information should stop us from yakking. Heaven forbid. It's what we do. But it is funny sometimes.

Good call, spacecrime. One thing that Belichick has really hammered home--and it's worth remembering in this context--is that the defender who was the closest to the player who scored isn't always the one at fault. The play that Belichick explained about TBC is a great example of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rush end spot ?

Check out this bizarre exchange:

Is Jarvis Green unique among the defensive linemen in that rush end spot in the 4-3?

What rush end spot is that?

*Laughter* I don’t know.

Well he’s a defensive end and he can play on the edge and play on the perimeter as Ty does, as Richard (Seymour) does, as Marquise (Hill) and Mike (Wright) do. So that’s kind of what the ends do. Some of those guys, like Richard and Mike and Ty, can also play inside, but Jarvis has played inside, especially in sub situations and he has done a good job for us in there. I’m not really sure what that rush end position, how that is defined.

I think I made it up.

Rush end spot ? Unique ?

After I read that, I thought "what bone-headed media type asked THAT question"

Turns out, its Reiss (from his blog): http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

August 14, 2006 Practice notes

A few quick practice notes before Bill Belichick's press conference:

* Plenty of four-man line work in this workout, with Jarvis Green returning to his most extensive practice action since the opening weekend of camp. Green was back at his rush end spot as part of a four-man line that included Vince Wilfork and Le Kevin Smith as tackles and Ty Warren as the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News