PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Vince get's a little love

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In this weeks edition of the Sporting News, they rank the AFC's top 5 best DT's.

1. Marcus Stroud,Jags 4-3 tackle
2. John Henderson, Jags 4-3 tackle
3. Casey Hampton, Pitts 3-4 NT
4. Jamal Williams, SD 3-4 NT
5. Vince Wilfork, NE 3-4 NT

I don't have a problem with these rankings. I do think William is ahead of Hampton. I would also rank Big Vince slightly ahead of Hampton.

It's always tough trying to rank 4-3 DTs with 3-4 NTs because they have such different responsibilities. Even NTs have different responsibilities depending on what kind of 3-4 defense they play in.

But that is a good list with good players. Vince is very young and has already developed into a top NT. And he has improved so much just from last year to this year.

Last edited:
Although they are in different defenses, I'd put Williams ahead of both of the Jags DTs. Together they are dominant, but alone, I don't think they'd be at quite that level.

Although they are in different defenses, I'd put Williams ahead of both of the Jags DTs. Together they are dominant, but alone, I don't think they'd be at quite that level.

Agreed, I don't think there's a better nose tackle in the game, but I expect Vince to have a coming out year in 2007.

list is bad. 1 of the jags should be off..Pat Williams needs in

when it comes to 3-4 NT's I would take Jamal Williams and Wilfork on my team over Hampton.

Last edited:
nothing is better than watching vince rumbling for what could have been a touchdown if it wasnt for damn cotchery! It makes me smile everytime

IMO 3-4 DEs should be included on this list. The type of athlete required is very similar. To include 3-4 DEs among 4-3 DEs, as some publications do, seems foolish considering how different the responsibilities are.

1. J. Henderson: J-villes hidden gem.
2. T. Warren: dominant, durable, consistent
3. J. Williams: takes some games off, but at his best a force of nature.
4. R. Seymour: A clear #1 when at the top of his game. Durability always a concern.
5. Aaron Smith: The Quiet Man.
6. Castillo: freak athlete with or without juice.
7. Wilfork: getting better and trending up, as long as the weight stays down
8. Ngata: Heir to Jamal Williams.
9. Stroud: not as good as Henderson, but no one is.
10. Hampton: an effective space eater (and twinkie eater)
11. Haynesworth; Rare aggression, mean streak can be over the top.
12. T. Kelly: Sapp bags sacks while Tommy does the dirty work.
13. Olshansky: Immovable object.

Last edited:
Not bad, Pony! Not bad!

I don't always agree with everything you say, but I'm hard pressed to find any fault on this list..and that's saying a lot.

good job!

IMO 3-4 DEs should be included on this list. The type of athlete required is very similar. To include 3-4 DEs among 4-3 DEs, as some publications do, seems foolish considering how different the responsibilities are.

1. J. Henderson: J-villes hidden gem.
2. T. Warren: dominant, durable, consistent
3. J. Williams: takes some games off, but at his best a force of nature.
4. R. Seymour: A clear #1 when at the top of his game. Durability always a concern.
5. Aaron Smith: The Quiet Man.
6. Castillo: freak athlete with or without juice.
7. Wilfork: getting better and trending up, as long as the weight stays down
8. Ngata: Heir to Jamal Williams.
9. Stroud: not as good as Henderson, but no one is.
10. Hampton: an effective space eater (and twinkie eater)
11. Haynesworth; Rare aggression, mean streak can be over the top.
12. T. Kelly: Sapp bags sacks while Tommy does the dirty work.
13. Olshansky: Immovable object.

They did rank the teams in the AFC as to who had the Best DT's. The Jags were ranked #1 and the Patriots #2.

Seymour and Warren play DE in our 3-4, along with Vince and Wright as DT's.

The ranked the 4-3 Jags better with Stoud, Henderson, Meier and Tony McDaniel.

It's comparing apples and oranges.

In this weeks edition of the Sporting News, they rank the AFC's top 5 best DT's.

1. Marcus Stroud,Jags 4-3 tackle
2. John Henderson, Jags 4-3 tackle
3. Casey Hampton, Pitts 3-4 NT
4. Jamal Williams, SD 3-4 NT
5. Vince Wilfork, NE 3-4 NT

I don't have a problem with these rankings. I do think William is ahead of Hampton. I would also rank Big Vince slightly ahead of Hampton.

I like that list but heres mine.

Marcus Stroud
Casey Hampton
Vince Wilfork
John Henderson
Jamal Williams

Im sorry but I think Jamal Williams is fastly overrated. I dont know why, he just doesnt really impress me that much.

Seymour is hands down the best overal defensive lineman in the NFL. I know no one will agree with me but hes the best defensive player in the NFL. He doesnt pad his stats because hes a DT in a 3-4 but the impact he makes is greater than any other play IMO. For what ever its worth.

I love Seymour too, but I wouldn't say he's the best defensive player in the league. Close, but not.

Seymour is hands down the best overal defensive lineman in the NFL. I know no one will agree with me but hes the best defensive player in the NFL. He doesnt pad his stats because hes a DT in a 3-4 but the impact he makes is greater than any other play IMO. For what ever its worth.

nothing is better than watching vince rumbling for what could have been a touchdown if it wasnt for damn cotchery! It makes me smile everytime

Totally.
It broke open what was otherwise a mildly uncomfortably close game. We'd won no matter what, but that play really gave us a lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST