PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Defensive Coaching Ever? (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to take anything away from our D, but I doubt we have that same performance against a better QB...Goff was just a great match up for us.

Goff WAS a great matchup for the Patriots. And yet, he's also a QB who put up 4,688 yards and a 101.1 QBR during the regular season, and got his team a #1 seed and a Superbowl berth. So why is he a great matchup for BB and a terrible matchup for the rest of the league?

I was thinking about this during all of the discussions of whether there's a blueprint to beating the Brady Patriots. People always suggest specific schemes -- man or zone? blitz or drop back? -- but we've seen that none of that really matters. The only Achilles heel of BB & Brady is unpredictability. No matter how good you are at "your thing," they will plot to counter it. Over the years we've seen them chew up and spit out dozens of teams that were determined to "do what they do best, and dare you to stop them." (San Diego this year was one example.)

We've also seen them stumble to lesser opponents who suddenly whip out a wildcat offense or amoeba defense. And their occasional weakness to running QBs reflects the fact that improvisational situations negate their planning advantage.

Boy wonder McVay crafted an ideal, reliable offense to fit his personnel this year. And BB & co. reliably devour anything reliable.

I am going to mildly counter this morning's big takes on the greatness of Belichick and the Patriots defense. People are saying Edelman didn't deserve MVP and that the D and Belichick gave an all-time great performance. I'm going to be a contrarian.

1. Someone posted the stat last night that the Rams and Goff were absolutely abysmal this year against zone defenses. Like, PUTRID. Give Belichick all the credit for knowing that, but essentially he saw what several coaches saw. The Rams were solved this year. Horrible against the zone. Does Belichick get credit for this? He is incredibly smart and a great preparer so I wouldn't expect anything less than him knowing the Rams' achilles heel.

2. Jared Goff can't read a zone defense. This is a credit to the Patriot coaches. But it is also really down to the fact that Goff is young and got solved. The NFL solves you--they figure you out. Next year the Rams are going to suffer--they will be exploited, until Goff figures out what to do against zones. This is a testament to QBs like Brady and Manning and the like who consistently, year-after-year, find ways to play well and win--against ALL defenses.

3. People are saying Wade Phillips is kryptonite to Brady. I thought the Patriots worst enemy was their respect for the Rams' pass rush, and after that first INT, Brady played it in safe mode. He was relying on getting the ball out early. The Rams were jamming the Patriots receivers and throwing the timing off. The 4th quarter showed you what should have been happening all game.

4. Tony Romo was absolutely right that the Rams had no business being in the game at all. Brady's INT, Gost's missed FG, the two near INTs Goff there (one tipped by Simon, Hightower drop). Patriots should have won 26-3!

5. I get why people want to give the MVP to Gilmore or Hightower. Personally, I thought the D-line was even better than Gilmore. Hightower's pass rush maybe deserved it. BUT, I do think much of this success was due to Goff's ineptitude. He doesn't know what to do against zones. He drops way back. Deer in the headlights. I don't want to take anything away from Gilmore's play BUT--if I were told that any of the Patriots would miss the Super Bowl before it was played even, I would say first, "I hope it's not Brady." My second? Edelman. I don't know who of the Patriots receivers could do anything out there other than maybe Gronk, but Gronk is limited. In other words, the Patriots don't hold onto the ball, T.O.P., without Edelman. He was otherworldly out there. He put the DBs on skates with his nifty cat-like moves, he was like Kemba Walker doing a step back out there. I get why Edelman's short passes that he turns into 15 yard gains aren't sexy compared to the work of the D. BUT--did you see his moves? He has an incredible skill in his arsenal. I think he's unguardable. Without him, the Patriots are a popgun offense. Losing Gilmore would hurt badly, but I sit Gilmore before Edelman. Edelman played lights out, and he is more valuable. Say JC Jackson replaces Gilmore against Brandin Cooks and he gives up 2 big pass plays for 60 yards. Say that gives the Rams an extra TD. So the final score is 13-10. BUT--how much do the Patriots score without Edelman?

Edelman is my MVP.

I think this was the greatest defensive performance in Super Bowl history. Better than the 85 Bears. The Rams never had a snap in the red zone! That's insane. 8 straight punts to start the game.

Whitworth said the Pats were in basically a "6-2" most of the game. Which is basically a youth league goal line defense, not an NFL defense.

"They played six on the line all day, which kind of limited the space to get the runs in there," Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth said. "They played an open-field 6-2 almost, but with one guy in the middle -- almost a little bit of goal line."

If, like me, you and your buddies skipped the pre-game and watched All the Right Moves, you would know Belichick is no coaching genius, he merely copied the 6-2 coach Nickerson (Craig T. Nelson) ran in the big game against Walnut heights.

Listen, they can't run against a 6-2 stack, okay?

Course, he's not the first to do it. Harbaugh's 9ers did it (though on the goal-line) back in '14, and even cited the movie.

Fangio made 'all the right moves' with goal-line defense in Carolina - 49ers Hot Read

Belichick's a good coach, but he's no Coach.

This game was a coaching kill-shot the likes of which I've never seen honestly. The Rams scored less than 10% of their average points per game and never even entered the red zone.

Last edited:
8 consecutive Rams punts set a new record hahaha

Much like Bill's game plan against the Bills in 1991 I can see this one going into the Hall of Fame, the question is how much of it was Bill and how much Flores?

I don't know how many others noticed this, but the camera panned to Goff during the National Anthem. He had his hand over his heart and it was very visibly shaking.
He was sh!tting his pants.

Much like Bill's game plan against the Bills in 1991 I can see this one going into the Hall of Fame, the question is how much of it was Bill and how much Flores?

It's out there already, Flores was making all the calls. So,

Black-hispanic unknown DC Flores (37) schooled (>>>) Wunderkind OC McVay (33).

McVay said he was numb and got outcoached!

Nine super bowls. And yet this is the first time we've seen the D play like *that* down the stretch in a Super Bowl. Even after Goff started to find his rhythm. Incredible performance by the players and the coaches.

Nine super bowls. And yet this is the first time we've seen the D play like *that* down the stretch in a Super Bowl. Even after Goff started to find his rhythm. Incredible performance by the players and the coaches.

Running all those hills certainly paid off ;)

I really feel this was a 180 degree turn around from last year. From the Malcom mess and their inability to stop the Eagles, to shutting down this very talented Rams team is one of the great turn arounds in football.

How refreshing was it this playoffs to see the Pats play an aggressive style D. Remember back to the bend but don't break zone days and how so many of us wanted a little more aggressiveness. Bill got the right players to play this way (like Gilmore) and it was beautiful to watch. The cover 0 blitz was a great call by Flores and perfect timing for it.

Son of bum deserves a little credit too. Defensive masterpiece all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back