PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Coates - is he a hall of famer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
With Andre Tippett hopefully getting in the hall of fame, one player who was dominate at his position was Ben Coates.. 94-97, there was no other tight end better than him.. I know when Tickle me Pete got here, he worked harder at goin to the Foxy Lady, rather than run routes for Bledsoe.. But he still had some great yrs, but is it hall of fame material?? Im not sure, I would say yes, but like to hear opinons...

Coates had a sort of Jim Rice-ishly sudden downturn toward the end of his career, but I think he is a no-brainer HOF-er. While Shannon Sharpe grabbed headlines with a big mouth (and a fantastic, stat-feeding ability to catch the ball), Coates excelled both as a receiver AND as a blocker - which made him, quite easily, THE best all-around TE of his generation.

No Brainer-He should be in. I believe he is either #4 or #5 alltime in receptions for a TE.

patsox23 said:
Coates excelled both as a receiver AND as a blocker - which made him, quite easily, THE best all-around TE of his generation.

I don't know who you were watching, but Coates wasn't really much of a blocker. Not saying Sharpe could block at all, but Coates wasn't much better.

Coates was one of my favorite Patriots as a kid and I really hope that he makes the Hall of Fame. BUT, there are not too many tight ends in the Hall and if a 1990s tight end does get inducted, it'll be horseface Sharpe.

thechris said:
Coates was one of my favorite Patriots as a kid and I really hope that he makes the Hall of Fame. BUT, there are not too many tight ends in the Hall and if a 1990s tight end does get inducted, it'll be horseface Sharpe.

I think you hit the nail on the head... TE is one of those positions who's definitions is often changing... not quite as much as FB, but you get my drift

That works against guys who were among the "best" at the position

But I think Ben is going to make the cut

10 years - missed only 2 games, averaged nearly 50 catches a season and set the record (now broken) for catches by a TE, and is the 4th most prolific TE in NFL history.

If that's not good enough for the HOF I don't know what is -but I'm prepared for the fact that it might not actually be good enough

Sean Pa Patriot said:
With Andre Tippett hopefully getting in the hall of fame, one player who was dominate at his position was Ben Coates.. 94-97, there was no other tight end better than him.. I know when Tickle me Pete got here, he worked harder at goin to the Foxy Lady, rather than run routes for Bledsoe.. But he still had some great yrs, but is it hall of fame material?? Im not sure, I would say yes, but like to hear opinons...

Hey Sean. Was that your question in the globe about Tippett today?
Nice question. He should be in the hall. Just happened to come in the league at the wrong time. Same time as LT. Tippett was awesome. Wish he had a guy who could do what he did on our defense now.

Coates' patented 3rd down move, which bailed out Bledsoe numerous times, was to go out far enough to get a first down, mug the OLB, turn around and catch the ball. Once he started getting called on it his career was virtually over, as was Bledsoe's. IMO, he was not a HOF'er. Daniel Graham will be if he can stay on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News