PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears finalize purchase of Arlington site

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Bears are looking to create a massive 5 billion dollar devlopment on their new site... moving out of the loop... The days of Soldier Field look numbered... Went to the old Soldier Field back in '94... It was a dump... As bad, if not worse than Foxboro... Never went to that fish bowl they put inside of Soldier Field in 2002...

good for the Bears... Most likely bad for the taxpayers of Illinois and its visitors...

Last edited:

Bears are looking to create a massive 5 billion dollar devlopment on their new site... moving out of the loop... The days of Soldier Field look numbered... Went to the old Soldier Field back in '94... It was a dump... As bad, if not worse than Foxboro... Never went to that fish bowl they put inside of Soldier Field in 2002...

good for the Bears... Most likely bad for the taxpayers of Illinois and its visitors...

To me, it's heartbreaking and disgusting that they're planning an indoor stadium.

Dome = Super Bowl, perhaps College Bowl games, concerts etc

I know. It also means no outdoor football in the elements and that sucks. Green Bay will be the only franchise in that division with genuine integrity.

I grew up a huge Bears fan. I met George Halas once. He'll be turning over in his grave from this travesty.

I know. It also means no outdoor football in the elements and that sucks. Green Bay will be the only franchise in that division with genuine integrity.

I grew up a huge Bears fan. I met George Halas once. He'll be turning over in his grave from this travesty.
While there is a "romantic" side to playing football in the weather, its just the new economic reality of the modern day NFL... Teams are spending billions of dollars on these stadiums, not even counting the billions taken from john q public... They need a greater return on investment besides a dozen football games and a handful of summer concerts...

and you met Halas? M'Effing Epic...

While there is a "romantic" side to playing football in the weather, its just the new economic reality of the modern day NFL... Teams are spending billions of dollars on these stadiums, not even counting the billions taken from john q public... They need a greater return on investment besides a dozen football games and a handful of summer concerts...

and you met Halas? M'Effing Epic...

I told this story a while back, you must've missed it. I was a newspaper reporter in DeKalb and later Rockford, Ill. and did some stories on the Bears. On one occasion they were playing Detroit in Soldier Field and I took my copy of Halas's autobiography with me to the press box hoping for a chance to get it autographed. During pregame warmups I strolled over to Halas's private box and his son-in-law Ed McCaskey was there. I asked if George was available and he said, "Well, that's up to Mr. Halas." Halas was sitting down front, turned around and motioned to me, "Come in, come in!" We shook hands, I handed him the book and he autographed it to me personally. Great handwriting, too. He passed away two years later.

George_Halas_(cropped).jpg

Truly, an Epic football story... my story of sitting next to Dave Bavaro at a BC/Syracuse game pales in comparison

Truly, an Epic football story... my story of sitting next to Dave Bavaro at a BC/Syracuse game pales in comparison

Yeah, Halas literally invented the National Football League, 103 years ago. Little-known fact: he was an outfielder for the New York Yankees, playing 12 games for them in 1919 before suffering a hip injury.

Loved both versions of Soldier Field. Sad to see it go.
When does Bob put a roof on Gillette?

It's sad to think that NFL games with snow, wind, rain and freezing temperatures are becoming a thing of the past. The Vikings moving indoors took away one of their biggest home field advantages. Also Detroit. For that matter, why did Atlanta and New Orleans need domes? I hate indoor football.

After FIFA in 2026?

But I don't think he will... But it would be nice having a retractable roof stadium... Imaging the suffering of the hoi polloi trying to leave foxborough after a super bowl? Lol it would be worth it

From the Bears site... This place looks awesome on paper... Yes, i realize best foot forward and all that, but still...

From the link:

We have publicly stated and repeat here again: If we construct a state-of-the-art stadium, we will not seek taxpayer funds locally or otherwise for the structure. If we proceed, however, this project would require assistance to ensure feasibility, including our securing property tax certainty and support for infrastructure commensurate with the public benefits the project will yield to the region. For the development to move forward, and for this effort to be financially feasible, a public-private partnership addressing predictable taxes and necessary infrastructure funding for public uses is essential. Public funds for infrastructure will provide regional improvements such as roads for better traffic flow and water drainage for residents throughout the area. This support, along with the team’s investment, will be crucial to ensuring the local and Illinois economies receive a dramatic, long-lasting influx of investment and new tax revenue of a magnitude never experienced before in the region

It's the usual tripe, as you suggest.

If it were a true public-private partnership they'd be offering the taxpayers a share of the profits as the site expands, but, nope, they want the tax payers to pay up front for the infrastructure work and give them a sweetheart lifetime deal on property taxes as well. What a ****ty partnership!

Improving the traffic flow in the area? Are they serious? Any idiot should realize that a development on this scale is only going to make the traffic flow worse in the area. No amount of infrastructure can make it so tens of thousands of cars arriving and departing in a narrow time frame flow freely in and out.

I don't see much parking anywhere in the renderings. Owners these days are fond of selling off parking areas for retail or housing, making mega-bucks doing so but making game day parking a real pain. I see rails, I hope they have a workable rail strategy in mind, but I don't see a train station platform.

From the link:

It's the usual tripe, as you suggest.

If it were a true public-private partnership they'd be offering the taxpayers a share of the profits as the site expands, but, nope, they want the tax payers to pay up front for the infrastructure work and give them a sweetheart lifetime deal on property taxes as well. What a ****ty partnership!

Improving the traffic flow in the area? Are they serious? Any idiot should realize that a development on this scale is only going to make the traffic flow worse in the area. No amount of infrastructure can make it so tens of thousands of cars arriving and departing in a narrow time frame flow freely in and out.

I don't see much parking anywhere in the renderings. Owners these days are fond of selling off parking areas for retail or housing, making mega-bucks doing so but making game day parking a real pain. I see rails, I hope they have a workable rail strategy in mind, but I don't see a train station platform.
yeah, the conceptual renderings always look pretty, and sterile... they represent the best of "what could be" vs what will actually be... and there are a ton of hidden costs to the tax payer - that won't come to light until after approvals are granted...

It does represent a pretty development though, least on paper

Dome = Super Bowl, perhaps College Bowl games, concerts etc
NCAA Tournament
Boxing
Monster Trucks

The first pics of the new dome look like its a carrot cake. Good cake too.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back