PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Baltimore school compels students to wear purple, or else ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense, but the message may have been made a little clearer if you didn't have multiple sarcastic posts about the 1st amendment.

You know, like this one.

And just how is giving an opinion about the 1st, political? No offense, but how is giving a opinion on "rights" sarcastic?

While I am not a consitutional scholar by any means.

There are signficant limitation to what students can say in school. Even beyond that case someone cited about promoting drug use.

No supreme court case (to my knowldge) as ever been exactly on point.

But I have read enough cases to be willing to bet that if this went to court the students would prevail over the teachers.

But schools do have significant rights to curtail student speech. For example if let say in a school that bordered two team areas, the school decided to ban all NFL attire, because kids who support opposing teams frequently get into fights. That would almost certainly be okay. Even though you couldn't do that with adults. But if they decided to ban the wearing of one team and not the others that would run afoul.

I think I see what you are saying. This does seem to be some sort of viewpoint discrimination. But I can't even begin to remember all of the exceptions I learned in law school, and in law school I probably didn't even begin to learn all of the exceptions that exist. I know I don't like what the school did because it contradicts my personal beliefs, but the con law argument is just beyond my facilities to offer a real opinion on.

Still, I am pretty sure that Thomas Jefferson would have no part of that god*amn Steelers jersey in a Baltimore school. Wasn't the Revolution partly about freedom from yinzers and such?? I thought Hamilton said something about that in one of the Federalist papers. But like I said, it's been a while.

Last edited:
But schools do have significant rights to curtail student speech. For example if let say in a school that bordered two team areas, the school decided to ban all NFL attire, because kids who support opposing teams frequently get into fights. That would almost certainly be okay. Even though you couldn't do that with adults. But if they decided to ban the wearing of one team and not the others that would run afoul.

A key point is that in this situation the students would be punished, not because they wore something, but because they didn’t wear something. I could see a school banning students from wearing an SS uniform, requiring they essentially support the local sports team, not so much.

There were a few posts that were made that tip toed into politics while I was checking my 1st rights. So that was made as a general warning as poltics and football do not mix here.
We have a Political forum for political "discussion", if you want to call it that.

Whoa, I stay the heck out of the political forum after venturing there just once and having my blood boil within minutes.

Let's face it, it's fun to ask the kids to wear purple shirts and dumb to make those who don't go to the library so the school looks good for the cameras. The fact is, they had a good idea that would get them on the news in a postitive light and they blew it by taking it too far. There are always going to be those who 1) don't own a purple shirt and can't afford to buy one; 2) forget to wear one; or 3) don't like being told what to wear (and it is is a violation of the freedom of speech, but a ticky-tack one, where people shouldn't lose their jobs). They shouldn't have been sent to the library - there would have been plenty of kids there in purple to "drown out" the non-purples. Now the school has bought themselves trouble where there should have been fun. Nothing ever goes smoothly in this world. Thank God I have football to help me escape!

And just how is giving an opinion about the 1st, political? No offense, but how is giving a opinion on "rights" sarcastic?

There were a few posts that were made that tip toed into politics while I was checking my 1st rights.

No sarcasm there.

There were a few posts that were made that tip toed into politics while I was checking my 1st rights.

No sarcasm there.

Nope just a little non sarcastic humor thrown in to keep it light. Anyway, the message is, leave the politics off the football forum.

There is no mixed messge there.

In fact, what the school should have done is have something purple for the kids who forgot or were conscientious objectors (or who have parents who were) to put on, like purple beads or something. Come on teachers, think outside the box!!

A key point is that in this situation the students would be punished, not because they wore something, but because they didn’t wear something. I could see a school banning students from wearing an SS uniform, requiring they essentially support the local sports team, not so much.

A school could probably bar students from wearing an SS uniform. They most certainly can ban students from wearing a shirt that promotes smoking, drugs or drinking. Even though a state or munipality could not pass such a law for wear in general.

A school could probably bar students from wearing an SS uniform. They most certainly can ban students from wearing a shirt that promotes smoking, drugs or drinking. Even though a state or munipality could not pass such a law for wear in general.

Yep, I agree.

A student in NO got sent home from school for wearing a Colts jersey on the day before their superbowl.

Stupid in both places.

But that was private school. At a public school you have a serious 1st amendment issue.
They'll just say the unwillingness of these students to conform to the demands of the school constitutes a "disruption of the learning environment," since that's apparently a good enough excuse to suspend their first amendment rights all around the country.

Nope just a little non sarcastic humor thrown in to keep it light. Anyway, the message is, leave the politics off the football forum.

There is no mixed messge there.

Your first post was three paragraphs on the school issue and the First Amendment.

You said what you felt like saying, then you said it should stay off the football forum.

Mixed message.

The teachers were channeling their inner joseph goebbels

Overzealous teachers:bricks:

Last edited:
Actually Roland Park is one of the best public schools in the area, and there are academic qualifications to get in. I went there 6-8th grade, and many of the students go on to top college prep highschools. But your stereotyping is hilarious and typical of the chowder eating n word screaming stereotype I pictured YOU as

Funny... Seeing as how even your screen name glorifies a show about what a festering toilet bowl your city is. How is that for sterotyping?
Before you start your requisite tirade back at me, let me say that I believe your city probably has the same mixture of good and bad as any large city in america (except for New York, which really is full of @$$holes :D )

As for his comments. Lighten up.
He was joking around in the last part of his post, after establishing in the prior text that he was a thoughtful human being.

Well yeah, minor spelling errors obviously mean I car jack people and smoke/sell crack. Obviously.

I agree. You can't sell crack.
To Quote Chris Rock "You don't sell Crack!... Crack sells itself!!!.. You don't see crack dealers standing around going.. "what am I going to do with all this Crack?!?!"

:p

I won't disagree with the first point, but in regards to point number two if you look at the article it appears as though it was strictly limited to two overly zealous teachers that wanted to put on a good show for the cameras. The principal and school administration took the opposite stance.
No way that happened. That's not how elementary schools work. Teachers don't ever organize large events like this.

I read the comments in the original article, and there are local people claiming that the principal emailed the parents with that same threat, and also announced it over the PA during school. When this all got the attention of the media, she threw her teachers under the bus.

It doesn't surprise me at all. My mother taught first grade for over 20 years, and there's a reason principals become principals. This was all about making the school, and therefore the principal, look good in front of a camera.

Your first post was three paragraphs on the school issue and the First Amendment.

You said what you felt like saying, then you said it should stay off the football forum.

Mixed message.

Here is my 1st post:

What is the big deal? They are holding a rally and requiring certain dress for the rally. It doesn't mean that kids can't attend school- they just can't attend the rally - no constitutional issues unless I missed the part in the Bill of Rights about the right to attend rallies.

Besides, in a couple of weeks the kids will be saying "that rally did us a lot of good. The Ravens lost to the Patriots and now we get to watch the team from NE win #4"

And here is my second post:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The school is not congress. It may be covered in another Amendment but I see no violation of the 1st. Besides it was stated in the article that they are not required to wear the purple.

OK,if a few kids go to the Ravens rally and start chanting 'let's go Patriots" and the school officials kick them out, is that violation of the 1st? I don't think so.

Please point out the "political" statement there.

Last edited:
Here is my 1st post:

What is the big deal? They are holding a rally and requiring certain dress for the rally. It doesn't mean that kids can't attend school- they just can't attend the rally - no constitutional issues unless I missed the part in the Bill of Rights about the right to attend rallies.

Besides, in a couple of weeks the kids will be saying "that rally did us a lot of good. The Ravens lost to the Patriots and now we get to watch the team from NE win #4"

And here is my second post:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The school is not congress. It may be covered in another Amendment but I see no violation of the 1st. Besides it was stated in the article that they are not required to wear the purple.

OK,if a few kids go to the Ravens rally and start chanting 'let's go Patriots" and the school officials kick them out, is that violation of the 1st? I don't think so.

Please point out the "political" statement there.

Oh, for Pete's sake.

Forgive me: in your second post, you decided to chime in on the subject of the First Amendment. And then, in your third post, you exercised Mod Power and decided that no one else should, else there would come a-lockin'.

I never mentioned politics at all; neither did anyone else. You did, and pretty much out of left field. I'm merely pointing out the "do as I say, not as I do" nature of your posts.

If you still can't see the hypocrisy here, I honestly couldn't care less.

For all those Patriot fans who ranted about the Indy fans booing the kid in punt, pass, kick wearing a Patriot's uniform, step forward. Oh wait, that was on a football field, not a public school, my bad.

Oh, for Pete's sake.

Forgive me: in your second post, you decided to chime in on the subject of the First Amendment. And then, in your third post, you exercised Mod Power and decided that no one else should, else there would come a-lockin'.

I never mentioned politics at all; neither did anyone else. You did, and pretty much out of left field. I'm merely pointing out the "do as I say, not as I do" nature of your posts.

If you still can't see the hypocrisy here, I honestly couldn't care less.

So quoting 1st amendment the Constitution of the US is political? I didn't know that. You win, I was being political and hypocrite. .:eek: I tried to ban myself from the thread but it won't let me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick