In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else think the amount of this contract was excessive for
Ashworth?
----------------------------------------------------------
Seahawks | Ashworth contract update
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:19:56 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Seattle Seahawks OT Tom Ashworth signed a five-year contract worth $13 million. As reported earlier, the deal includes $4.5 million guaranteed money for the 2006 season.

Yes...quite so..but he's a patriot,,,ex-Patriot

Last edited:
Well he did play left tackle againts Denver in a play-off game. This tells the league that he is valuable. Besides you can't put a value on fraud monitoring.

Well...he'll NEVER get a chance to be "Fraud Monitoring" now!

Last edited:
And Tom Brady spent more time on the ground than he did standing in the Denver game. This should tell the league that he's not a great starter. Ashworth was a tremendous depth player, but they're replacing Hutchinson with him. This will end badly in Seattle.

Bertil said:
Well...he'll NEVER get a chance to be "Fraud Monitoring" now!

That was Hochstein that wanted to play Fraud monitoring..

fgssand said:

Ok then what was Ashworth. Was he the guy that wanted to be
the director?

stinkypete said:
And Tom Brady spent more time on the ground than he did standing in the Denver game. This should tell the league that he's not a great starter. Ashworth was a tremendous depth player, but they're replacing Hutchinson with him. This will end badly in Seattle.

Ashworth is taking a lot of heat on these boards for the Denver game. Consider that Light and Kaczur were out, and the Pats were down to only two OTs. Ashworth was so sick with the flu that he had to be fed intravenously the night before the game. He had no business being out there at all, but the team needed him so he stepped up. I tip my cap to him for that, and I don't judge his four year career with the Pats on one game, or one play.

What a great payday for Tom! Per the Herald's Tomase this am, I love what his agent Tom Mills said..."He's(Tom) very appreciative of their ability to develop him over the last five years. He would have never seen a day like this if it weren't for their willingness to work with him. He's got nothing but good memories". Now that's got to be the best exit line I've ever heard!!!! Thanks Tom, and good luck on the Wet coast!!

PatsChick87 said:
What a great payday for Tom! Per the Herald's Tomase this am, I love what his agent Tom Mills said..."He's(Tom) very appreciative of their ability to develop him over the last five years. He would have never seen a day like this if it weren't for their willingness to work with him. He's got nothing but good memories". Now that's got to be the best exit line I've ever heard!!!! Thanks Tom, and good luck on the Wet coast!!
Well we picked him up for nothing and we taught what not and what to do and basically molded him into a much much better player who can be a serviceable starter.

PatsChick87 said:

Nice move by apparently a very classy guy! Can't blame him for taking the payday though if they are willing to pay that. Also it' not like he's going to Arizona, Seattle will have a good run at it next year in the weak NFC!

Good for him. But even with the newly expanded cap space, that is way too much.

Dank Franklin said:
Good for him. But even with the newly expanded cap space, that is way too much.

I will never understand this reasoning.

If someone will pay it, it is never too much. No one has forced an NFL owner to overpay for anyone. The way the league is set up, even the stupid owners are making $$$$$$$. It is impossible for an owner to lose money.

I say the players should get all they can, while they can.

Once anyone gets to the top 1/2 of 1% of their chosen profession, they deserve what the market will bear.

Lamanai said:
Ashworth is taking a lot of heat on these boards for the Denver game. Consider that Light and Kaczur were out, and the Pats were down to only two OTs. Ashworth was so sick with the flu that he had to be fed intravenously the night before the game. He had no business being out there at all, but the team needed him so he stepped up. I tip my cap to him for that, and I don't judge his four year career with the Pats on one game, or one play.

Neither do I. I'd cash that check as soon as the bank opens. Good Luck. :D

JR4 said:
Ashworth?
----------------------------------------------------------
Seahawks | Ashworth contract update
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:19:56 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Seattle Seahawks OT Tom Ashworth signed a five-year contract worth $13 million. As reported earlier, the deal includes $4.5 million guaranteed money for the 2006 season.

Pesos? :confused: :confused:

Folks on this board bashing Ashworth's play at LT in the Green Bay pre-season game prompted me to start trying to break down games with my Tivo - I found then that Ashworth was a very servicable LT and he proved that often enough during the season subbing for Kaczur. His play at RT was over the period that saw this team run up the longest consecutive winning streak in NFL history. He is worth every penny with his ability to play four positions on the O-line and I'm proud he was a New England Patriot who worked his way up from Undrafted Free Agent to Super Bowl starter. Holmgren's team paralleled Belichick's in their final playoff game, outplaying the opposition and losing to a combination of poor officiating and mental errors. Ashworth will help them get back to the playoffs and make another run at the Super Bowl. Good Luck Tom, see you in Miami! :rocker:

fgssand said:

I recall Russ saying... "Why can't I be the Director?"

That was a very nice commercial and revealed Brady's willingness to share his Advert income with guys who would never get it otherwise...

JR4 said:
Ashworth?

No, because I heard that was the max value for the contract even if Ashworth reached all his incentives.

watch holmgren closely, folks

texpat said:
I will never understand this reasoning.
If someone will pay it, it is never too much. No one has forced an NFL owner to overpay for anyone. The way the league is set up, even the stupid owners are making $$$$$$$. It is impossible for an owner to lose money.
Once anyone gets to the top 1/2 of 1% of their chosen profession, they deserve what the market will bear.
holmgren must be off his meds again.
ashworth is certainly an elite player. nfl players are the elite of the elite. players who've been a starter in a SB must be given their due.
IMO holmgren must have been watching watching video of the wrong OT. seahawks won't see many more SBs with signings like that. i am really happy for ashworth thouugh.

I absolutely agree. That's why I said 'good for him'. IMO $2.6 million a year is more than I'd want to see the Patriots pay for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft