PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel wins the worst call of the Playoffs Award...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisticuffs

Rookie
Reaction score
Intresting article. The author ranks every bad call of the playoffs. Asante Samuel's pass interference call gets the nod at #1. The Palamalu overturned Interception comes in at #2. Basically he's saying that the refs' decided this years champion. Even though the Steelers earned every right to be in the Superbowl. Thank you for destroying the Colts wet dream season!

There needs to be a rule next season to review pass interfernce calls, or even let the frickin' fans vote online or text it, but I think that may be a little overboard. Reason why I suggest this, is because the refs still might not get it right after reviewing their own screw ups!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5311162

Pats got three against them in the top 10.

My favorite part from his explenation of the Phantom PI

The NFL offered no such they-a-culpa for Patriots fans. (Shut up, Raiders fans, the tuck rule may be a bad rule but it was interpreted correctly.)

I'm convinced the officials will soon become the X-Factor in each game. If you get them on your side, you win. If not, you are destined to loose.

They are ruining the sport. Something needs to be done.

Keep in mind Kevin Hench is Bill Simmons' best friend and a notorious boston homer. Also, I give the Steelers all the credit in the world for winning the championship this year. They are the perfect of example of what you're supposed to do when the calls go against you - play well and overcome. We failed to that in Denver and the Seahawks failed to it in SB XL. Now everyone needs to stop making the ridiculous argument that the refs pulled out all the stops to ensure Pitt lost in Indy, and then turned right around and gave them the win in XL. The Steelers are worthy champions, but next year we will be back where we belong.

That article was awesome.

Bill Leavy. Pete Morelli. Jeff Triplette.
These are the names I'll always remember from this NFL postseason

I would add Greg Sneed too. He's the one that made the phantom call on Samuel and I will never forget his name.

Last edited:
Champ Bailey's magic fumble does it for me, that whole game was officiated so poorly and the refs need to get some testicles at playoff home games.

Here's a healthy perspective on the calls:

Were they bad calls? YES

Without those calls are we guaranteed to win in Denver? NO

Even with a win in Denver are we guaranteed to win the SB? NO

Is it possible that the officiating could have gone one-sided against the Pats in the SB? YES

Is it possible that the NFL just wanted another team to win? YES

Would coming back and winning next year be sweeter than winning this year? YES!

richpats said:
Here's a healthy perspective on the calls:

Were they bad calls? YES
Agreed

Without those calls are we guaranteed to win in Denver? NO
Guarnteed? Of course not, but with them they had no chance. I'm also tired of people saying you turn the ball over 5 times you're gonna lose. although true if the Pats don't get that bogus PI call they're never in a position to start giving the ball up.

Even with a win in Denver are we guaranteed to win the SB? NO
I say there was a 99% chance THe Pats beat Pitts at Gillette and go on to win the Super Bowl after a Denver win.

Is it possible that the officiating could have gone one-sided against the Pats in the SB? YES
Unfortunately, after what we saw that is true. But, Seattle had no story. Pitss had Bettis and the young QB. The Pats would have had first team to win 3 in a row.

Is it possible that the NFL just wanted another team to win? YES
Then they got what they wanted, but changes nothing as far as the bad officiating

Would coming back and winning next year be sweeter than winning this year? YES!

No. First (and most likely last) team to go three in a row would have been sweeter than any win next year.

Michael said:
No. First (and most likely last) team to go three in a row would have been sweeter than any win next year.

I can understand how fans feel like the Pats (with help) blew their shot at history, but honestly, they've already made history winning 3/4 and establishing a modern-day dynasty. It's hard being that team that everyone wants to dethrone, now we're the hunters and the rest of the NFL is the hunted. Teams got their kicks in this year, don't expect it next year. For me redemption is always sweeter!

fisticuffs said:
Intresting article. The author ranks every bad call of the playoffs. Asante Samuel's pass interference call gets the nod at #1. The Palamalu overturned Interception comes in at #2. Basically he's saying that the refs' decided this years champion. Even though the Steelers earned every right to be in the Superbowl. Thank you for destroying the Colts wet dream season!

There needs to be a rule next season to review pass interfernce calls, or even let the frickin' fans vote online or text it, but I think that may be a little overboard. Reason why I suggest this, is because the refs still might not get it right after reviewing their own screw ups!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5311162

Great article. Love the Locklear technique, err penalty....called blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes