PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

April 17th Patriots Mock Draft Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade 17, 74 (1170) to Detroit for 13, 154 (1180)

13 Cameron Jordan DE/DT

Trade 28, 60 (960) to Denver for 36, 46 (980)

Trade 33 to Philadelphia for 54, 85, 120

36 Mikel Leshoure RB

46 Leonard Hankerson WR

54 Benjamin Ijalana OG/OT

Trade 85, 120,125 to Carolina for 65

65 Allen Bailey DE/OLB

92 Clint Boling OG

154 Cortez Allen (CB/FS)

159 Cliff Matthews DE/OLB

193 Brandon Bair DE

Really rather pleased with this attempt. I think I'm settling on Cam Jordan as my preferred #17 pick (even if it needs a slight trade up). Whilst I'd be happy with Watt, Kerrigan or an OT here, I think Jordan is the most NFL ready, impactful 5-tech in the draft not called Dareus. Hankerson and Leshoure are two of the higher rated offensive skill position players and both should be able to contribute from the start with Hankerson projecting as a potential No1 receiver. Boling is a plug in G and Ijalana's floor is a servicable OG/OT backup whilst his ceiling is a future LT. Allen Bailey is a risk but he can be developed slowly as a situational pass rusher but with some quality NFL coaching could become a quality pass rushing OLB or sub rusher. Cortez Allen has got a lot of interest from a number of clubs and I see very little bad written about him. He's a nickel guy, maybe even a long-term Meriweather replacement. My final two guys are high character relentless defensive players. Cliff Matthews is a team captain, never takes a play off and a good pass rusher. We'd take him as an OLB - he needs to learn to defend the run better and whilst he may end up being no better than TBC, the upside potential is there for him to be worth a pick. Brandon Bair is someone I want to develop as a 5-tech. He has length 6-6, but not the weight yet at 275 lbs and whilst he's already 26 years old, there's no harm, at this stage of the draft, in giving him a year with strength and conditioning training to see if he can become a useful DE.

Last edited:
Jeez Maine guy, how many players do you anticipate the new collective bargaining agreement will allow us to bring to camp?

We can probably fit close to 17 guys on the 80-man roster now.

Here it goes, I know this is crazy and it won't happen but it is within the framework of the "game" here, and as always....I'm drunk.

Series of trades to move "up" all crazy style:
123, 156, 184 for 101
92, 101 for 72
72, 74 for 45
45, 60 for 24

17- R. Kerrigan OLB

24- D. Sherrod OT

28- M. Wilkerson DE

33- D. Watkins G

I totally understand paying these blokes may be a problem, but quality not quantity with the team that we already have, meh.

My own attempt:

#17 Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue - This could be interesting as my gut says someone between #7 and #15 is going to pull the trigger on a QB, which could set off a panic. In the end, I think the Pats just end up liking Ryan Kerrigan too much to pull the trigger. Smart, strong, tough, good motor, team leader... sounds EXACTLY like the kind of players the Pats love.

TRADE: Patriots trade #28 and #125 to the Tennessee Titans in exchange for #39 and #77. I think the Titans pass on a QB early in Round 1, but come back late in the round to make sure they get either Mallett or Ponder.

TRADE: Patriots trade #33 to San Francisco for #45, #108, and #115. Another team that I think passes on a QB early, only to trade up later when the value is there.

#39 Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois - I think they like Mark Ingram, but get scared away by his knee. Leshoure's not a bad consolation prize, and represents good value at this point in the draft.

#45 Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami - Good size, 4.4 speed, hails from a school that produces a lot of NFL receivers, mature, and he makes plays.

TRADE: Patriots acquire picks #50 and #183 from San Diego in exchange for #60 and #92.

#50 Rodney Hudson, C, Florida State - Tough for a Gator fan to say this, but Rodney Hudson is a stud. And he's the perfect fit for the Pats' blocking scheme.

#74 Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson - Yeah, so back to fixing the defense. I'm not convinced 3-4 DE is as pressing a need as some believe. I think the Patriots go into camp and see what they've got with Stroud and some of the younger guys they've picked up the last couple of years. (Deaderick, Pryor, etc.)

#77 Marcus Gilchrist, DB, Clemson - Had a real solid performance at the combine, and offers some defensive flexibility. Besides, Mike Mayock likes him, so that's pretty much good enough for me.

#108 Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida - Not sure he'll ever be a star, but I'm pretty sure he'll be a solid RT in the NFL for a long time. Also offers some positional flexibility. I think he's a potential sleeper, who probably won't be available at this pick.

#115 Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple - I still think safety is one of those under the radar needs that the Pats will address at some point during the draft. Jarrett's a good takcler, a smart player, and he's got some athletic ability.

#159 Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama - Another tough admission for a Gator fan to make... McElroy is smart, tough, and a winner. He can QB my team any day. (Any day that Tom Brady's not playing.)

#183 Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College - I'm a sucker for comeback stories. I remember what Herzlich was before cancer, and if he can ever get back there, this pick will be well worth it.

#193 Mario Fannin, RB, Auburn - Fred Taylor's retired, Sammy Morris probably won't be back, and who knows about Kevin Faulk at this point. Clearly, we need RBs. Fannin's ability to pass block and catch balls out of the backfield make him an intriguing pick, in my opinion.

In summary...

Backup QB? Check.

Multiple RBs? Check.

Deep threat WR? Check.

OL depth and flexibiliy? Check.

OLB/Pass Rush? Check.

DE depth with some upside? Check.

CB depth? Check.

Safety depth? Check.

and as always....I'm drunk.

Sweet :D You can't argue with a man of complete honesty.

My own attempt:

#17 Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue - This could be interesting as my gut says someone between #7 and #15 is going to pull the trigger on a QB, which could set off a panic. In the end, I think the Pats just end up liking Ryan Kerrigan too much to pull the trigger. Smart, strong, tough, good motor, team leader... sounds EXACTLY like the kind of players the Pats love.

TRADE: Patriots trade #28 and #125 to the Tennessee Titans in exchange for #39 and #77. I think the Titans pass on a QB early in Round 1, but come back late in the round to make sure they get either Mallett or Ponder.

TRADE: Patriots trade #33 to San Francisco for #45, #108, and #115. Another team that I think passes on a QB early, only to trade up later when the value is there.

#39 Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois - I think they like Mark Ingram, but get scared away by his knee. Leshoure's not a bad consolation prize, and represents good value at this point in the draft.

#45 Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami - Good size, 4.4 speed, hails from a school that produces a lot of NFL receivers, mature, and he makes plays.

TRADE: Patriots acquire picks #50 and #183 from San Diego in exchange for #60 and #92.

#50 Rodney Hudson, C, Florida State - Tough for a Gator fan to say this, but Rodney Hudson is a stud. And he's the perfect fit for the Pats' blocking scheme.

#74 Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson - Yeah, so back to fixing the defense. I'm not convinced 3-4 DE is as pressing a need as some believe. I think the Patriots go into camp and see what they've got with Stroud and some of the younger guys they've picked up the last couple of years. (Deaderick, Pryor, etc.)

#77 Marcus Gilchrist, DB, Clemson - Had a real solid performance at the combine, and offers some defensive flexibility. Besides, Mike Mayock likes him, so that's pretty much good enough for me.

#108 Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida - Not sure he'll ever be a star, but I'm pretty sure he'll be a solid RT in the NFL for a long time. Also offers some positional flexibility. I think he's a potential sleeper, who probably won't be available at this pick.

#115 Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple - I still think safety is one of those under the radar needs that the Pats will address at some point during the draft. Jarrett's a good takcler, a smart player, and he's got some athletic ability.

#159 Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama - Another tough admission for a Gator fan to make... McElroy is smart, tough, and a winner. He can QB my team any day. (Any day that Tom Brady's not playing.)

#183 Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College - I'm a sucker for comeback stories. I remember what Herzlich was before cancer, and if he can ever get back there, this pick will be well worth it.

#193 Mario Fannin, RB, Auburn - Fred Taylor's retired, Sammy Morris probably won't be back, and who knows about Kevin Faulk at this point. Clearly, we need RBs. Fannin's ability to pass block and catch balls out of the backfield make him an intriguing pick, in my opinion.

In summary...

Backup QB? Check.

Multiple RBs? Check.

Deep threat WR? Check.

OL depth and flexibiliy? Check.

OLB/Pass Rush? Check.

DE depth with some upside? Check.

CB depth? Check.

Safety depth? Check.

Very Nice job, Gator Mike. All 'needs' and wants seem to be addressed. Even though some of the variables (players) will not be agreed upon, I think you did a good job in taking care of wants/needs. Kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST