PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anthony Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Weighed in at 261 lbs, 6'2 7/8.

Someone on NFL Network said he would be the steal of the draft.

Rosie Colvin..Shaun Phillips part 2

OLB. I want him with 28th

Weighed in at 261 lbs, 6'2 7/8.

Someone on NFL Network said he would be the steal of the draft.

I saw a few of his games, really liked what I saw. He is very strong should be able to hold the point of attack without any issue. Coverage will be a work in progress but this is the case with all DE/OLB projects.

I am beginning to think that the value in round 1 is at DE and WR.

First round for the Pats looking like

DE/OLB- Moss, Spencer
WR - Meachem, Jarrettt, Ginn maybe Bowe

Other wildcards
Merriweather (S), Staley (OT), Ross (CB), Hughes (CB), Hall (CB)

Last edited:
Jamie Dukes.

I think Levi Brown - T - PSU also said he was the best de in the draft and toughtest to block. Spencer at 24.

1 A. Spencer - OLB
1 D. Hughes - CB
2 S. Smith - WR
3 D.Harris - ILB Can trade up here. We have our four and will prob get
a supple 4. Use our 4 to move up.

I could be tempted by a S at 28 if Asante is signed to a long-term
deal. B.Meriweather.

I think Levi Brown - T - PSU also said he was the best de in the draft and toughtest to block. Spencer at 24.

1 A. Spencer - OLB
1 D. Hughes - CB
2 S. Smith - WR
3 D.Harris - ILB Can trade up here. We have our four and will prob get
a supple 4. Use our 4 to move up.

I could be tempted by a S at 28 if Asante is signed to a long-term
deal. B.Meriweather.
Yes, Levi Brown did say he was the most challenging DE to block. A nice endorsement for Spencer as a DE. We'll have to see if the NFL Network allows us to watch some of the LB drills to see how he moves. My problem with transitioning Defensive Ends to Outside Linebackers is the time involved, that adds to the cost of taking them early.

Yes, Levi Brown did say he was the most challenging DE to block. A nice endorsement for Spencer as a DE. We'll have to see if the NFL Network allows us to watch some of the LB drills to see how he moves. My problem with transitioning Defensive Ends to Outside Linebackers is the time involved, that adds to the cost of taking them early.

true, cuz u cant really expect that much in the first yr
still we gotta take somebody at this position that has some freakish ability

Excerpts from: Anthony Spencer Combine Transcript
This is the podium interview with Purdue DE Anthony Spencer,
transcribed by Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News

Asked about possibly playing linebacker in the NFL
"I've been talking to different teams about playing linebacker and stuff, but I'm pretty comfortable with my hand in the dirt. If they want me to do it, I'm up for anything. I'm just ready for a chance."

He is a Colts fan and watched the Super Bowl

He interviewed with the Steelers, who indicated they are interested in him as a linebacker
"They have an older linebacking corps and stuff."

playing linebacker -- would he have to lose weight?
"I feel pretty agile right now. I depends -- whatever the team needs me to do, I'm willing to do."

He said he came in at 6-2, 262.

talked to former Purdue guys about what he needed to do to get ready for the combine -- they told him to prepare for the linebacker stuff.

did he drop into coverage much at Purdue?
"Not so much this past season, but I did a lot during my first couple seasons at Purdue. I'm real comfortable with it."

If he ended up at DE in the NFL, would he need to add weight? "I played at 270 at Purdue, so I don't think I'll have to put on much more weight than that. As long as I'm able to hold the edge, and do the things they need me to do."

I liked his mohawk!!

I watched him in drills and not sure now if he would be a good fit for us at LB? Not sure if anyone else got that same feeling, but I would like to get some additional thoughts on him now that we have seen him in drills.

I watched him in drills and not sure now if he would be a good fit for us at LB? Not sure if anyone else got that same feeling, but I would like to get some additional thoughts on him now that we have seen him in drills.
Gaines Adams is considered a top 10 talent who can play the 3-4. We can use him as the standard for comparison - I wish the abysmal coverage had allowed us to watch the all the darned drills to see how the players moved.
Adams: 6046 258, 4.64/40, 35" vert, 4.36 ss, 911 broad, 7.17 3-cone

Spencer is fast and strong, with decent change of direction. He looked stiff in LB drills and has stated a preference to be a 4-3 DE.
Spencer: 6027 261, 4.7/40, 30 reps, 32.5" vert, 4.43 ss, 904 broad, 7.14 3-cone

Moore is lineman slow, but his change of direction compares to Adams. He looked fluid in LB drills and his size compares to McGinest.
Moore: 6046 274 , 4.92/40, 26 reps, 34" vert, 4.35 ss, 910 broad, 7.19 3-cone

Robison lit up the Combine, Mayock reports he plays well when you pop the tape in. He was fluid in LB drills.
Robison: 6031 259, 4.67/40, 27 reps, 40.5" vert, 4.26 ss, 1001 broad, 6.89 3-cone

Moss is reportedly getting interest from 3-4 teams. His change of direction didn't make the top players listed, which isn't good considering a 4.79 ss and 7.63 3-cone were listed in the top numbers. He looked stiff in LB drills.
Moss: 6064 250, 4.7/40, 16 reps, 1000 broad

His numbers are close to Adams'.
Crowder: 6035 272, 4.69/40, 32 reps, 30.5" vert, 4.32 ss, 903 broad, 7.28 3-cone

Considered the best 3-4 DE in the draft, only his straight line speed is significantly worse than Adams'. This is the kid I'd seriously want falling to #24.
Carriker: 6060 296, 4.9/40, 33 reps, 33.5" vert, 4.18 ss, 902 broad, 7.06 3-cone

A potential 3-4 OLB in some write-ups.
Bazuin: 6027 266, 4.77/40, 25 reps, 4.75 ss, 901 broad, 7.09 3-cone

A potential 3-4 OLB in some write-ups.
Applewhite: 6027 250, 4.73/40, 25 reps, 35" vert, 4.36 ss, 907 broad, 7.5 3-cone

His numbers compare well alongside Adams'.
Ah You: 6036 274, 4.7/40, 26 reps, 36.5", 4.4 ss, 900 broad, 7.06 3-cone

Jeremy Mincey had decent numbers too.

4.78 fourty
908 broad jump
6.99 three cone
4.25 short shuttle

This will provide BB with fresh memories of trying to convert athletic DE's to OLB. Will it not?

4.78 fourty
908 broad jump
6.99 three cone
4.25 short shuttle

This will provide BB with fresh memories of trying to convert athletic DE's to OLB. Will it not?
It reinforces why Spencer is a bad choice, he already has a slight attitude about the 3-4 - 6th rounder Mincey showed a bit of confusion about the dedication needed to make the transition. I'll be interested to see where Woodley now winds up on the various pre-draft rankings, after the way Woods stepped up, Woodley dropping down the boards may become a value afterall.

Last edited:

4.78 fourty
908 broad jump
6.99 three cone
4.25 short shuttle

The problem with Mincey was that he took for granted his numbers and thought that he could "rest on his laurels." He said, himself, he didn't go out there as hard as he could because he thought the Patriots would give him a year to learn the defense. That is an interview item, not an on-field item.

Spencer has the strength at the point of attack to stuff the run. Nobody thought of Willie Mac as a LB, but he learned and adjusted. I think Spencer is too good to pass up at 28.

The problem with Mincey was that he took for granted his numbers and thought that he could "rest on his laurels." He said, himself, he didn't go out there as hard as he could because he thought the Patriots would give him a year to learn the defense. That is an interview item, not an on-field item.

Woods beat him too. Woods was just more active. I remember Woods beating the OT, getting sacks, dropping back in coverage, etc.

And I do remember the he thought he would have a year to learn the system. I agree, I think it was a work ethic/attitude issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference