PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another 2004 draft grade (1st round only)

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.rototimes.com/article.php?article_id=3461
10. Houston - Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina The Texans draft history is full of disappointments and head-scratching picks, but Robinson has been the exception to that rule. My guess is that Charlie Casserly must have gone to the bathroom during this selection.
-----
12. NY Jets - Jonathan Vilma, LB, Miami (Fl.) Vilma was an absolute stud as a middle linebacker when the Jets employed the 4-3, but he was clearly not a fit for the 3-4, at last during his first season in that scheme. On talent alone, he's as good a defender as was available in this draft.

13. Buffalo - Lee Evans, WR, Wisconsin It was a very receiver-heavy first round and many of the products were boom (Roy Williams) or bust (Rashaun Woods). Evans has 24 touchdowns in his career and went over 1,200 yards last season. That's a heck of a pick in my book.
-----
19. Miami (from Minnesota) - Vernon Carey, OT, Miami (Fla) Carey entered the pros as a guard, but he's currently making his living at tackle. The Dolphins are going to switch him to the left side this season. If you can get a starting tackle in the first round, you can't complain, even if some of the guys taken after him turn out to be superior players.
-----
21. New England (from Baltimore) - Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami (Fla) New England got this pick for trading the Ravens the selection they used on Kyle Boller one year earlier. The Patriots depend on Wilfork to anchor the line in their 3-4 defense and he does an excellent job. New England has made a living out of choosing the right guy late in the first round and Wilfork is no exception.

22. Buffalo (from Dallas) - J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane The Bills traded back into the first round to selection Losman, who they hoped would be their quarterback of the future. The jury is still out on if he can live up to that billing, so this is one guy we can't really put a grade on yet. Dallas used the pick they got in this trade to acquire Marcus Spears in 2005.
-----
31. San Francisco (from Carolina) - Rashaun Woods, WR, Oklahoma State Ha! Seriously, anyone still in the 49ers front office should be fired for this pick.

32. New England - Ben Watson, TE, Georgia Watson has been every bit as productive as Winslow during their careers and only went 24 picks later. Ben's development allowed the Patriots to get rid of Daniel Graham and he remains an important part of their offense. Another excellent pick for New England.

I don't think anyone watches the Bills play. If they did, they'd see that Losman is coming along very nicely. He's becoming a dependable, athletic QB and still has a high ceiling. I'd take him over probably all but 10 or so QBs in the league.

I don't think anyone watches the Bills play. If they did, they'd see that Losman is coming along very nicely. He's becoming a dependable, athletic QB and still has a high ceiling. I'd take him over probably all but 10 or so QBs in the league.
This coaching staff has done a nice job with him.

It's probably because no one's watching that Losman is coming along. It'd be hard to raise a QB like that in a more media-intensive market. He'd have already been labeled a bust.

10. Houston - Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina The Texans draft history is full of disappointments and head-scratching picks, but Robinson has been the exception to that rule. My guess is that Charlie Casserly must have gone to the bathroom during this selection.

I had to laugh at this revue. His comment on Charley Casserly is both funny and appropriate. What is ironic is that Charley Casserly who's horrible drafts have cost several HC's their jobs in Washington and Houston, is the same Charley Casserly who is evaluating how well current GMs are doing their Jobs, regularly on ESPN. Is this where the Peter Principle come in. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back