PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anonymous Sources: Mac is Impressing in Offseason

Lol, I just knew this was a Giardi article. Everyone was raving about Mac's offseason last year as well, at some point I'd really love it if the glowing reviews of him didn't focus specifically on off field stuff. Yeah, he's confident, he's a leader, he's working hard, that's all great. Can he throw the ball consistently on time with good velocity while making good decisions? That's all that matters.

If you're going to call me out then get it straight. I think Lamar Jackson is an elite football player. I'm taking his entire game into account, unlike others, who toss out his rushing accomplishments like yesterday's trash.

I don't think Lamar is an elite passer but his passing game is good enough considering his enormous rushing contributions. He also led the NFL in passing TDs (36) in only his second season in the league (when he was also named NFL MVP as a quarterback).

I've mentioned this a 100 times too, and I'll repeat now, Lamar has a career TD% of 6.1 which is 3rd among active quarterbacks and he's only behind Mahomes and Rodgers. Mac Jones has a career TD% of 3.7 which is 28th among active quarterbacks. Lamar is a better passer than most want to acknowledge and he's a winner. Lamar has 45 wins and 16 losses in 61 starts. Mac has 16 wins and 15 losses in 31 starts, so basically the same number of losses as Lamar in half the time.

So get excited about supposed favorable offseason impressions of Mac (which is exactly what we heard last offseason before the train wreck), in the meantime, Lamar is back to full health, with finally an improving team around him, and we've already seen him operate at an elite level with his "best" receiver topping out at less than 600 yards. Very few quarterbacks in the history of the league would have Lamar's numbers with the inferior talent that's been around him.
We'll see soon enough how Mac performs. For now, I am cautiously optimistic that he can rebound.

As for Jackson? He'll perform in the regular season and then either get hurt late or fold like a cheap tent in the playoffs. After 5 years, he is what he is.

As for Jackson? He'll perform in the regular season and then either get hurt late or fold like a cheap tent in the playoffs. After 5 years, he is what he is.
He's never had a serious lingering injury. A lot went into his decision to sit out the remainder of last season, so it wasn't entirely injury related, and whatever bad blood that may have developed between and Lamar and the Ravens, they apparently have gotten over it. I like what they've done this offseason.

As for his postseason record, again, he's only 26, and he's only played in 4 playoff games. He accounted for 500 total yards in one game and he's averaging 92 rushing yards at a Y/A of 6.8. He'll have more playoff opportunities and I'm confident he'll have success there.

4-3 in super bowls is a lot different than 7-3 (or in the case of Belichick 3-3).
Who's 4-3 in Super Bowls? That's right, nobody, so you're just making **** up to try and justify your Brady's not the GOAT nonsense. If we polled every single member of this forum, only you, and jokester @BB8X5BW, and maybe @Wozzy, would keep Brady from unanimously being named the GOAT. And there's a lot of weirdly irrational bias against Brady on this forum. You just take it to the extreme.

Who's 4-3 in Super Bowls? That's right, nobody, so you're just making **** up to try and justify your Brady's not the GOAT nonsense. If we polled every single member of this forum, only you, and jokester @BB8X5BW, and maybe @Wozzy, would keep Brady from unanimously being named the GOAT. And there's a lot of weirdly irrational bias against Brady on this forum. You just take it to the extreme.

Correct, no one is 4-3 in super bowls. But it seems obvious to me who would be if it weren't for Ernie Adams. And judging from all the comments I am reading all over the internet, there is zero chance Brady is a "unanimous GOAT" in this country. The problem for you is you can't tolerate dissent when it comes to Brady and go ballistic. You and others in this forum have your blinders on. You just have to accept the fact that not everyone agrees with you.

Last edited:
Didn’t say it was, but he’s been the most important player on the team since he stepped foot on the field
Deshaun Watson led the entire NFL in total offense and passing in 2020 and his team won 4 games… that’s what having the best player in the league at the most important position is worth.
You conveniently picked his first 5 years and implied he was a game manager while emphasizing his turnover numbers. You left out the fact that he was among the best qbs in the league by 03
A good look back at history:

Tom Brady in the 2001 Playoffs versus Raiders: 32-52 312 yards 0-TD 1-INT 70 QB rating
Tom Brady in the 2001 Super Bowl versus Rams: 16-27 145 yards 1-TD 0-Int 86 QB rating

Tom Brady in 2002, no playoffs: 9-7 record, 3764 yards, 28TDS, 14 INTS, 85 QB rating

Tom Brady in the 2003 Playoffs versus Titans: 21-41 201 yards 1-TD 73 QB rating
Tom Brady in the 2003 Playoffs versus Indy: 22-37 237 yards 1-TD 1-Int 76 QB rating

Tom Brady in the 2004 Playoffs versus Colts: 18-27 144 yards 1-TD 92 QB rating
Tom Brady in the 2004 Playoffs versus Steelers: 14-21 207 yards 2-TD 130 QB rating
Tom Brady in the 2004 Super Bowl versus Eagles: 23-33 236 yards 2-TD 110 QB rating

What you see above represents the first three rings and a young QB who was a game manager as he was still learning his craft, not the transcendent, dominant QB that fanboys try to portray it as now with revisionist history. You can actually see the improvement in the four seasons and his meteoric rise. It should be mentioned that in above years the Pats had a top three postseason running back every year and the defensive points per game rankings were tied for (#1) 15 ppg, (#3) 19 ppt, (#2) 17 ppg. Brady was buoyed by a spectacular run game and defense.
I agree they need to develop, I just don’t think comparing him to the best player ever is a fair one.
I never compared our current QB’s to Brady or Allen… I compared their situations and the situations of all rookies who need time to develop.

I’ve been calling Brady the greatest QB in league history since 2007.

I just understand the reality that football is the ultimate team sport and no single player can carry a team alone… also that the QB position is entirely overrated by fantasy football adherents like yourself.

So don’t lump me in with other posters I know nothing about or put words in my mouth. Jokers like you can’t explain how Deshaun Watson was the best QB in the league in 2020, better than Mahomes, but only won 4 games. Or how Drew Brees was top three QB in the league from 2014-2016 and his team won 7 games three years in a row despite leading the league in passing.

You only point to teams that are successful and attribute it all to their QB’s, while completely ignoring the horde of of great QB’s on bad teams that can’t even make the playoffs.

Deshaun Watson led the entire NFL in total offense and passing in 2020 and his team won 4 games… that’s what having the best player in the league at the most important position is worth.

Not sure how this is relevant, belichick has won 0 super bowls without Brady starting for him.

Tom Brady in the 2001 Playoffs versus Raiders: 32-52 312 yards 0-TD 1-INT 70 QB rating
Tom Brady in the 2001 Super Bowl versus Rams: 16-27 145 yards 1-TD 0-Int 86 QB rating

Tom Brady in 2002, no playoffs: 9-7 record, 3764 yards, 28TDS, 14 INTS, 85 QB rating

Tom Brady in the 2003 Playoffs versus Indy: 22-37 237 yards 1-TD 1-Int 76 QB rating

Tom Brady in the 2004 Playoffs versus Steelers: 14-21 207 yards 2-TD 130 QB rating
Tom Brady in the 2004 Super Bowl versus Eagles: 23-33 236 yards 2-TD 110 QB rating
I believe I gave you the stats, which included postseason numbers as well but he was an mvp candidate in 03 and 05. Posting how good he was only helps my argument. I’ll attach them below again for reference. Seems like you left out the Carolina Super Bowl? Tough look
What you see above represents the first three rings and a young QB who was a game manager as he was still learning his craft, not the transcendent, dominant QB that fanboys try to portray it as now with revisionist history. You can actually see the improvement in the four seasons and his meteoric rise. It should be mentioned that in above years the Pats had a top three postseason running back every year and the defensive points per game rankings were tied for (#1) 15 ppg, (#3) 19 ppt, (#2) 17 ppg. Brady was buoyed by a spectacular run game and defense.
Agreed, except they were also anchored by elite qb play by 2003. Factually speaking
I never compared our current QB’s to Brady or Allen… I compared their situations and the situations of all rookies who need time to develop.
You just had to pick the best one and put them in the same sentence, I know it’s just you holding out hope…but man

Attachments

• 0215E3BD-EB9B-47E1-AD00-22F9AE902272.png
    0215E3BD-EB9B-47E1-AD00-22F9AE902272.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • C2260CCB-06CD-4A6C-A550-BF3BBA688CD2.jpeg
    C2260CCB-06CD-4A6C-A550-BF3BBA688CD2.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 2
  • D20EEBC8-CCA2-48DA-B305-DE68533BEB9C.jpeg
    D20EEBC8-CCA2-48DA-B305-DE68533BEB9C.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Not sure how this is relevant, belichick has won 0 super bowls without Brady starting for him.
It’s relevant, you simply can’t explain the paradox so you run and hide from it.

Tom was on Bill’s team 20 of the entire 28 years of BB’s head coaching career, they only won 6 rings… but you can’t make the connection.
I believe I gave you the stats, which included postseason numbers as well but he was an mvp candidate in 03 and 05. Posting how good he was only helps my argument. I’ll attach them below again for reference
The stats of his first four years show a clear evolution and development of the player… regardless of the fact he became the greatest player in history.

Instead of commending the coaches who drafted and developed him or praise the superior players who supported him and allowed him to win in these early years you pretend they never happened and attribute it to Tom’s magic powers.

Some real clueless fanboy hero worship at best and some creepy underwear sniffing stalker stuff at worst… hopefully.
Agreed, except they were also anchored by elite qb play by 2003. Factually speaking
Didn’t play in year one (2000) but worked hard to get stronger, improving both body and mind), not elite in year two (2001) but efficient and improving accuracy over the course of his first year playing, getting better in year three (2002) by throwing a lot of balls, the coaches were clearly using 2002 to press him into improving, by year three and four on the best team in the entire NFL he matched that and became elite… and would improve more in the coming years by throwing fewer INT’s.

This is the development arc of the best QB in history, current Patriot QB’s can still develop into quality players just as Josh Allen and a multitude of other rookie QB’s did. Instant superstardom is a myth you have drifted from because the stats don’t support it.
You just had to pick the best one and put them in the same sentence, I know it’s just you holding out hope…but man
If the best players in the league need and deserve time to develop, then why don’t our QB’s? Your beliefs are grounded in revisionist history nonsense.

Correct, no one is 4-3 in super bowls. But it seems obvious to me who would be if it weren't for Ernie Adams. And judging from all the comments I am reading all over the internet, there is zero chance Brady is a "unanimous GOAT" in this country. The problem for you is you can't tolerate dissent when it comes to Brady and go ballistic. You and others in this forum have your blinders on. You just have to accept the fact that not everyone agrees with you.
So some dishonest homers from other teams skew the results... WHATEVER. Brady's the GOAT and you'd have to be mentally deranged to honestly believe otherwise. And no one honestly gives a **** anymore about Spygate or the completely laughable Deflategate when it comes to evaluating Brady's career. Only haters like you bring it up because you can't come up with a single GD thing otherwise to even remotely argue Brady isn't the GOAT in a serious debate. You pathetically fantasize about Mahomes becoming the GOAT when the starting point for Mahomes is a massive 0-2 hole against Brady in the postseason. I can tolerate genuine dissent. Irrational, unfounded, and dishonest arguments against Brady are other thing. You represent the latter.

I’ve been calling Brady the greatest QB in league history since 2007.
What choice do you have? Seriously, if you don't want to look like a complete jackass then you've got to concede Brady's the GOAT. Anyone who says Brady isn't the GOAT shouldn't be taken seriously in any sports debate.

It’s relevant, you simply can’t explain the paradox so you run and hide from it.

Tom was on Bill’s team 20 of the entire 28 years of BB’s head coaching career, they only won 6 rings… but you can’t make the connection.
Not sure what the paradox is, the qb is the most Important position in football, so you agree?
The stats of his first four years show a clear evolution and development of the player… regardless of the fact he became the greatest player in history.
He was great from 03 and beyond, because he got better as the era changed doesn’t mean he was a game manager in 2003-2005
Instead of commending the coaches who drafted and developed him or praise the superior players who supported him and allowed him to win in these early years you pretend they never happened and attribute it to Tom’s magic powers.
I just refuted the fact that he was a game manager and show you the facts to back that. No need to look into it more than that
Some real clueless fanboy hero worship at best and some creepy underwear sniffing stalker stuff at worst… hopefully.

Didn’t play in year one (2000) but worked hard to get stronger, improving both body and mind), not elite in year two (2001) but efficient and improving accuracy over the course of his first year playing, getting better in year three (2002) by throwing a lot of balls, the coaches were clearly using 2002 to press him into improving, by year three and four on the best team in the entire NFL he matched that and became elite… and would improve more in the coming years by throwing fewer INT’s.

This is the development arc of the best QB in history, current Patriot QB’s can still develop into quality players just as Josh Allen and a multitude of other rookie QB’s did. Instant superstardom is a myth you have drifted from because the stats don’t support it.

If the best players in the league need and deserve time to develop, then why don’t our QB’s? Your beliefs are grounded in revisionist history nonsense.
Not sure what this rambling is about tbh, again just refuted your take that he was a game manager for the first 5 years. Factually he wasn’t

The problem for you is you can't tolerate dissent when it comes to Brady and go ballistic. You and others in this forum have your blinders on. You just have to accept the fact that not everyone agrees with you.

My point exactly - see your rant below.

So some dishonest homers from other teams skew the results... WHATEVER. Brady's the GOAT and you'd have to be mentally deranged to honestly believe otherwise. And no one honestly gives a **** anymore about Spygate or the completely laughable Deflategate when it comes to evaluating Brady's career. Only haters like you bring it up because you can't come up with a single GD thing otherwise to even remotely argue Brady isn't the GOAT in a serious debate. You pathetically fantasize about Mahomes becoming the GOAT when the starting point for Mahomes is a massive 0-2 hole against Brady in the postseason. I can tolerate genuine dissent. Irrational, unfounded, and dishonest arguments against Brady are other thing. You represent the latter.

Some of us have a moral compass. Others like you are just plain delusional. I suggest you read "It's Better to Be Feared" by Seth Wickersham, particularly chapter 19 entitled "Remain Inconspicuous." Chapter 20 entitled 18-0* is pretty good too.

And like I said many times before, Brady has a crap record against some of the lowest-level NFL QBs on the planet in the playoffs, as per my signature. So unless you can come up with a valid reason why he lost those games, as well as his 1-3 record vs Peyton in AFCCGs, then your head-to-head argument is meaningless.

What choice do you have? Seriously, if you don't want to look like a complete jackass then you've got to concede Brady's the GOAT. Anyone who says Brady isn't the GOAT shouldn't be taken seriously in any sports debate.
So you were lying.

Good? I'd biased look back.

Do conditions count? How about first playoff game ever for a first year starter?

52 pass attempts and 312 yards in those conditions is pretty impressive, especially for a QB in his first ever playoff game. Brady was a perfect 8-8 in OT to setup the chip shot FG winner. Great performance by Brady.

GWD started at the NE17. Brady was 5-8 with 2 spikes to kill the clock. The Patriots defense had ran out of gas by then. The Rams last TD drive they covered 55 yards on 3-3 passing in 21 seconds. How Brady handled that final Patriots drive, especially considering the magnitude of the moment, was amazing.

Led the NFL in passing TDs. You left that out of course.

lol you're just going to skip over Brady's MVP performance in SB 38? By the way it was like -20 degrees for that Titans game. Brady also received NFL MVP votes for the 2003 season.

Looks pretty good to me.

What you see above represents the first three rings and a young QB who was a game manager as he was still learning his craft, not the transcendent, dominant QB that fanboys try to portray it as now with revisionist history.
What you really had there was something not ever achieved by a quarterback in the history of the NFL. By the end of the 2004 season, Brady was a multi-time pro bowler, league MVP candidate, league leader in TDs, undefeated in the postseason, 3x SB winner (with 3 GWDs), and 2x SB MVP. That's not a game manager. Get a grip.

Lol, I just knew this was a Giardi article. Everyone was raving about Mac's offseason last year as well, at some point I'd really love it if the glowing reviews of him didn't focus specifically on off field stuff. Yeah, he's confident, he's a leader, he's working hard, that's all great. Can he throw the ball consistently on time with good velocity while making good decisions? That's all that matters.
Breer used to write similar gung ho articles about Larry Maroney.

Some here speculated that Koolaid was paying Breer to write them.

Not sure what the paradox is, the qb is the most Important position in football, so you agree?

He was great from 03 and beyond, because he got better as the era changed doesn’t mean he was a game manager in 2003-2005

I just refuted the fact that he was a game manager and show you the facts to back that. No need to look into it more than that

Not sure what this rambling is about tbh, again just refuted your take that he was a game manager for the first 5 years. Factually he wasn’t
The QB is hyper important… except when Deshaun Watson or Drew Brees are the best QB in the league and only win single digit games. Or when Tom Brady wins a ring as a game manager in 2001 or Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer win rings.

It’s amazing how important they are when a team succeeds, and how little they matter when the team only wins four games.

Seems “team” is far more important than any singular player. You fanboys are delusional.

Last edited:
So you were lying.
About what? I said maybe. How would I know what you were saying in 2007. I'm glad you at least stated the obvious (despite all of your attempts to chip away at Brady's accomplishments otherwise).

Good? I'd biased look back.

Do conditions count? How about first playoff game ever for a first year starter?

52 pass attempts and 312 yards in those conditions is pretty impressive, especially for a QB in his first ever playoff game. Brady was a perfect 8-8 in OT to setup the chip shot FG winner. Great performance by Brady.

GWD started at the NE17. Brady was 5-8 with 2 spikes to kill the clock. The Patriots defense had ran out of gas by then. The Rams last TD drive they covered 55 yards on 3-3 passing in 21 seconds. How Brady handled that final Patriots drive, especially considering the magnitude of the moment, was amazing.

Led the NFL in passing TDs. You left that out of course.

lol you're just going to skip over Brady's MVP performance in SB 38? By the way it was like -20 degrees for that Titans game. Brady also received NFL MVP votes for the 2003 season.

Looks pretty good to me.

What you really had there was something not ever achieved by a quarterback in the history of the NFL. By the end of the 2004 season, Brady was a multi-time pro bowler, league MVP candidate, league leader in TDs, undefeated in the postseason, 3x SB winner (with 3 GWDs), and 2x SB MVP. That's not a game manager. Get a grip.
This is a big Brady * that I won’t bother to read beyond the first sentence.

Posting his playoff stats for his first four years is biased…. sounds legit.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back