PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andy Benoit :Final Super Bowl XLIX film study

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been my contention that Harmon should have launched himself to fly over Kearse's and Butler's bodies low, rather than jumping high as he did. The idea is that he's probably have avoided a penalty, but also had a chance to disrupt a potential circus catch.

But upon seeing that video, I'm not so sure. I now suspect that he would have had to make that decision before he knew Kearse and Butler would both fall down, in which case it wouldn't actually have been a prudent decision.

Or to put it more simply -- Harmon had to commit to the choice he made before it looked likely that the going-low choice would prove correct.

The going-low choice WAS correct with 20-20 hindsight. I just no longer think that Harmon can be blamed for not recognizing that.

Harmon was running full speed to get between Kearse and the end zone to prevent a touchdown.

The idea that he should have assumed that, after having the ball whacked by Butler, Kearnes would have gone down, slid, spun around and juggled the ball 2-3 times between his foot, knee and hands...then changed his plan so that he could play the ball at the high point of one of the three juggles, makes the word absurd seem somewhat inadequate.

I forgot the bounce off his head.

His real error was not taking the intermediate course of diving low as low as he could while maintaining reasonable assurance of clearing Kearse's body. That was the best risk/reward course, and one that players will probably be coached better on in the future after this extremely visible example.

Play the ball! Might get an INT, at least ensure the break-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3