PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All But Out Of Reach - The Elite 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
While we might pry our of these loose for a second and our 22, I suspect that we best plan not to draft any of the following.

There is a demarcation of blue-chippers, for the top the draft. A team or two may reach and make one of these players available at 15 and 16, but that's about it.

QB Bradford, Clausen
RB Spiller
WR
OL Okung, Williams, Bulaga
DL Suh, McCoy, Williams, Morgan
LB McCain
DB Berry, Thomas, Haden

I am of a sightly different opinion on this subject.

I feel that the blue chippers probably extend into the second round and certainly to 22. This is the monster draft of the decade and the Patriots do not want to "reach" up for anyone. The more picks the Patriots retain the better and that may mean trading down. The Patriots need quantity not one so-called blue chipper.

Next Thursday night could be a very droll night for Patriots draftnics; however Friday night is shaping up as a monster. The draft party should be on Friday not Thursday.

Speaking of draft parties...where?

So, perhaps you are correct and the "elite" prospects go all the way to 40 as some have suggested, then we can stay where we are and get one "elite" player.

I would argue that there are 14 blue chip and 26 red chip players, 40 worthy top notch players.

I don't know why we should feel so great drafting at 44, 47 and 53.

I am of a sightly different opinion on this subject.

I feel that the blue chippers probably extend into the second round and certainly to 22. This is the monster draft of the decade and the Patriots do not want to "reach" up for anyone. The more picks the Patriots retain the better and that may mean trading down. The Patriots need quantity not one so-called blue chipper.

Next Thursday night could be a very droll night for Patriots draftnics; however Friday night is shaping up as a monster. The draft party should be on Friday not Thursday.

Speaking of draft parties...where?

So, perhaps you are correct and the "elite" prospects go all the way to 40 as some have suggested, then we can stay where we are and get one "elite" player.

I would argue that there are 14 blue chip and 26 red chip players, 40 worthy top notch players.

The Giants under Bill Parcells went to the Super Bowl because of the 4 picks they had in the second round of the 1986 draft starting at pick 44 (Mark Collins CB at 44, Eric Howard DTat 46, Pepper Johnson ILB at 56, and Greg Lasker S at 53). In a normal year you can find impact player in the second round but this is not a normal year.

Besides if the Patriots traded down it would probably not be too far. Probably in the late first or early second (in exchange for a third for example). So they would not start at 44.

I have to agree with you though; it would be grim if the Patriots first pick was 44. Watching all those blue chippers come off the board would be traumatic!

You should put a huge amount of money down on a bet that says some of your top 40 will DEFINITELY be available at 53.

With Denver trading Marshal, Id add Bryant to that list.

I don't see it that way at all. I really only see 3 blue chip prospects - Suh, McCoy, Berry and 2 borderline blue chippers in Bradford and Okung. After that, it's pretty much a grab bag of good prospects. The OTs are far from elite, but it just so happens most of the teams in the top 15 need a LT (may not be a coincidence) and there are only a few LTs in this draft, so there will be an early run. But it doesn't make them blue chippers.

Kirwan mentioned a few weeks ago that typically, you only have 15-20 players in any draft that are truly deserving of a first round grade. And he doesn't see it any different this year. I think what makes this year's draft so good is that there is depth at so many positions - which means good prospects will be available into the middle rounds and mid-round prospects will be available in the later rounds. And there might even still be "make it" players when the Patriots have their 3 7th round comp picks.

So I would actually prefer a trade down from 22 - pick up a 3rd rounder or 2 and get some more competition on this team in as many positions as possible. That's just my 2cents worth.

With Denver trading Marshal, Id add Bryant to that list.

On the surface, Bryant to Denver looks like a slam dunk, but I'm not so sure that McDaniels is going to trade a proven headache just to draft an unproven headache. The receivers in this draft are deep as well and he might just wait until the 2nd to grab one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes