PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Wilson ready for OTA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity has any safety selected after Tavon Wilson in that draft turned into anything?

Not really, outside of Barron and Harrison in the first calling that draft awful for safeties would be an understatement. I think more people are upset at the fact the Patriots used a second on him when there seemed to be some great talent left on the board like Lavonte David for example. Obviously none of us are scouts but anyone that watched him at Nebraska knew the kid could play.

I always feel as though we carry one too many extra ST only players as well.

Unfortunately, Belichick doesn't agree with me. He loves him some ST only players, and it's hard to argue with our success overall.

I agree that it'd have been nice to have had an extra spot or two open, but I'm sure Belichick has a reason for it. He likely feels that the depth isn't affected one way or another, and the ability to field a proper "3rd phase" is extremely important to him.

I do not get it. I am fine with special teams’ players but when there are more special teams’ players only than there are special teams players on a unit it seems excessive. I get a player like Slater he is a pro bowl player but I have not seen Ebner do anything to justify being on this team, and everyone talks about Tavon Wilson being such a contributor on special teams but he had two special teams tackles all last season and they both came in the game against the Panthers. I would not give a rats ass about it if our defensive ends were not player 95% of the defensive snaps and completely spent by the playoffs because we lack the depth to give them a blow.

I do not get it. I am fine with special teams’ players but when there are more special teams’ players only than there are special teams players on a unit it seems excessive. I get a player like Slater he is a pro bowl player but I have not seen Ebner do anything to justify being on this team, and everyone talks about Tavon Wilson being such a contributor on special teams but he had two special teams tackles all last season and they both came in the game against the Panthers. I would not give a rats ass about it if our defensive ends were not player 95% of the defensive snaps and completely spent by the playoffs because we lack the depth to give them a blow.

I think it's more a case of how the Patriots like to manage the cap. No matter what, your bottom of the roster guys are going to be making very little money, otherwise you're not going to have enough to pay for good starters. So, since they're unlikely to get players at those prices who are quality defensive players, they figure they might as well get the value at ST. I think if they could get a solid rotational pass rushing DE for minimum salary, they'd choose to carry that guy over a ST only player. But that's very rare to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST