Welcome to PatsFans.com

8/9 PM notes: Reiss, Scalavino x2, SMY, Rapoport

Discussion in 'Patriots 2009 Training Camp Reports and Photos' started by pats1, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Day 11, lone Patriots practice - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive Quick Kicks: Sunday practice notebook

Training camp: Many happy returns - Projo Pats Blog

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive The Patriots return to the practice field with a whole bunch of new faces…

Training Camp, Day 10: Sunday P.M. Notebook

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

As time goes on Wilhite seems to be playing consistently solid throughout TC. If he keeps getting better and keeps playing strong I wouldnt be surprised to see him starting opposite of Bodden week1. Although Springs might have an edge since hes so familiar with B.O.
  3. The_Riddler

The_Riddler Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was there today and yes Ron Brace was part of the consistent 4-man DLine featuring the stoutest 4-some this league can put together with (Warren, Big Vince, Brace and Big Sey), a huge group that would be brutal to run against. I think this may end up being our base 1st down package. BB ran it alot in the 11/11. The LB's in this 4-3 were AD/Mayo/Guyton.

Butler/Wilhite/Bodden look to have the top-3 spots locked down and BB is sticking with Sanders as a 1 right now with Meriweather, but Mr. Chung looked real quick, aggresive and fast in run support and the screens that I saw, it is just a matter of time before he takes over that starter's role next to Brandon. I am loving this defense !

Wilhite is really taking the leading role to play with Bodden and Butler looks real good (quick and smooth), oddly enough, the 1st team nickel had Butler on the outside and Wilhite in on the slot, that really speaks volumes of how the coaching staff feels about Wilhite's reads and quicks.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I am so happy that Wilhite is developing nicely. He stood out to me during the 4th game of preseason last year. I liked his tackling skills and his ability to cover.
  5. PYPER

PYPER Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I hardly ever hear Wheatley's name in any of the reports. Are Butler and Wilhite dramatically outplaying him?
  6. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

lol, yea, and is butler doing OK?

every time his name pops up it seems he gave up a brady-to-moss TD....

is that combo that deadly that none of our cb's can cover it or are our cb's that bad? ill go with the former...hopefully theyll be beating other team's cb's like theyre beating our own
  7. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Wilhite was ahead of him before he jolted his shoulder, that gave Wheatley a chance to make up some ground. Butler is getting a lot of work, especially with Springs missing more time - the thing to read into the reports on Butler is best expressed by Ken - 'Butler hasn't met a fake he won't bite on.' I think Butler is getting a lot of work against Moss, Welker, & Co. because with Springs as fragile as he is, Butler is looking at being the #4 CB and will need to develop in readiness for a mid-season start if he's needed (following in the footsteps of Gay, Hobbs, and Wheatley as rookies). With the physical Bodden anchoring the right side, and Wilhite showing he could play a decently physical game too, they look like the primary starters. Wheatley has been getting better reports after the first couple days of camp, the extra reps he has been getting in Wilhite's absence has him knocking the rust off in big chunks. I expect Wheatley to be about where he was for the Indy game last season when Buffalo rolls into town.
  8. Bartmac36

Bartmac36 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wilhite is my feel good story on this team...I really like his progress and feel he definitely deserves to start at this point...I think Butler has played decent for a rookie, but Wheatley has been a bit of a disappointment...he hasn't done much so far this TC and after a injury shortened rookie season I really hope he can stay healthy and show the promise he displayed in Indy...Bodden is pretty much a lock at starting and Springs could be in the nickel/safety rotation, but he could also be a surprise cut this year...
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I don't see Springs as a cut, he's a Free Agent version of Bruschi, someone who brings a boat load of experience to the table in a really young secondary. Like Bru his reps will come in limited situations, but for things like the red zone and third downs he provides enormous insurance as someone who has seen just about everything the NFL can throw at a defense.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.