PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8/14: NFLPA's latest submission is in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading that if the current punishment is vacated, the league can simply reinstitute a brand new punishment. It's not like Ray Rice where the league is trying to punish Brady a second time for one single transgression. If the punishment gets vacated, the league gets to come up with something new.

They can try. It's more likely it's vacated with the neutral arbitrator.

If it's simply vacated then yes, the NFL can do this, and I think Brady would then be within his rights to go right to a CA judge and file for an injunction - which he would most certainly get, after having a judgement in his favor already on the books.

And yet they claim the Peterson ruling is irrelevant. Was their submission written in crayon?

Welcome to the wonderful world of dueling court cases!

I read somewhere that if judge berman makes this a trial of the evidence by getting witnesses and vacates the suspension, the nfl has a good chance of winning the appeal.

Unless he does it in support of the NFLPA argument that the whole process was fundamentally biased and abusive to the player. In that case, I would think that revisiting the facts and documenting them would be useful in building the foundation on which the characterization of bias, fraud, deception, abuse was built.

Stop the fight! For the love of god he's dead, STOP THE FIGHT!!!

As the Court observed, the Award accuses Brady of having participated in a “scheme” fourteen times—but the word does not appear once in the 139 page Wells Report or the Vincent discipline letter. This is a clear essence-of-the-CBA violation. As the Article 46 arbitrator, Goodell only had the authority to adjudicate the discipline appealed to him; Peterson establishes that the arbitrator has no CBA authority to justify a suspension on a different basis from that upon which it was imposed. Peterson 15-16.
Indeed, it is settled law that arbitrators may not lawfully “exceed[] the scope of the [parties’] submission.” United Steelworkers v. Enter. Wheel & Car Corp., 363 U.S. 593, 597 (1960). Here, the matter submitted to Goodell for arbitration was Brady’s appeal of the discipline imposed upon him for alleged “general awareness.” Goodell did not have the authority, sitting as the Article 46 arbitrator, to support the discipline ab initio on grounds not found when the discipline was imposed. Peterson is conclusive.

I've just spent 39 of the past 52 hours at work dealing with a massive client issue. The past 20 minutes, drinking a beer and reading through this motion, makes (most of) the pain wash away in pure legalese bliss.

My takeaway from the NFL filing tonight:

tumblr_inline_noz751dcXf1sz1fmg_1280.png

Michael McCann ‏@McCannSportsLaw 58m58 minutes ago
In response filed tonight, NFL argues under federal law Judge Berman is not authorized to rule for Brady even if there are factual errors.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the NFL ;)

Chastising a judge on his scope of law might be dumbest thing I've read from them so far.

But if I were to guess why, they are probably mentioning it bc/Judge seemed to go there initially. But from a legal strategy standpoint, if Judge WERE to rule based on the facts, wouldn't that be a layup for some (actual) grounds of appeal for the NFL if it was vacated? If so, they should of just kept quiet and hoped he did make that ruling. Hmmm... Unless they are goading him into making such a blunde... waitaminute... Keep forgetting, the NFL is NOT that smart, or smart at all more accurately. Rewind... More of the child mentality, bc/they got butt kicked in court.

I know this because despite not staying a a cheap hotel chain last night, but after reading the brief, that Kessler specifically, repeatedly, and plainly stated he DOES NOT argue any facts per se. Instead its all about NFL's+RG's completely biased PROCEDURE related to interpreting and reacting to these facts.

Couldn't Brady use that as leverage? "If you return the picks, I won't sue for defamation"

That's a great idea in theory. But in practice that deal could only be made with Goodell's successor.

Judges don't want to be overturned on appeal. While such a thing is certainly possible, Berman will certainly do his best to make sure his decision is consistent with the law (assuming we get to the point where he actually makes a decision instead of a settlement).

If the NFL did appeal I wonder if the NFLN would talk about what the odds are for a successful appeal?:)

Brady should file a restraining order against everyone in the league office when this is over. Those people are seriously out to get him. They might just try to take him out. I have never seen anything like this in my life. These people are determined to keep him off the field. It doesn't matter if he's guilty or innocent. They want him gone.
As someone said the other day, this isn't a crime looking for a punishment, it's a punishment looking for a crime.

What precedent is there for a player to be suspended for an equipment violation or even obstruction?

I agree - that was a typo. I meant to say and "no suspension". There's no precedent for what's been done here.

But I showed all my work :(

Remember, this is the crew to whom you would have to explain the fundamentals - like why you use degrees Kelvin and added back in the atmospheric pressure. And fuggedabout explaining moles. That would be like sticking knitting needles in your eyes! They'd be wondering what guacamole has to do with the whole process when you mention Avogadro's number!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents