PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

7 Rd. Mock From DBI

Status
Not open for further replies.
dryheat44 said:
No need to apologize. As I said, Williams isn't on my draft board. I don't think he's worth drafting at all. I was speaking to the larger point, that a linebacker who can't cover isn't worth a day one selection.

Ok. Sorry. I mis-understood what you wrote when you said this:
dryheat44 said:
.... but if a LB is a very good 1st and 2nd down plus short yardage linebacker, he's WELL WORTH a third rounder. He's well worth a second rounder.

Makes it sound like you are saying the exact opposite. Makes it sound like you were saying that he was worth a day 1 pick.

dryheat44 said:
Using this board, mine is quite a bit different from every mock I've seen, including my own. Using the handy UH big board, the draft would go like this:

#21 Mangold Love the player, but can't help thinking NE could do as well with another 5th rounder - wouldn't kick, just scratching my head and shrugging.

#52 Hodge 236 pounds, bit light for BB's system and two slow for SS.

#75 Mike Hass check

#86 Jerious Norwood check

#106 Cofield check

#118 Greg Jennings check

#136 David Pittman check

#191 Tim Jennings I read where he had recent legal troubles worth noting, Myra wouldn't approve.

#205 Owen Daniels check

#206 Brian Iwuh check

#229 John Chick check
If you could get Hodge second day to push Izzo and find another smurf CB to replace Jennings you'd have a sweet little dance card. Reach for Colledge or Tapp at #21, and you'd be jitterbugging.

It's always marvelous how Uncle Heatster explains his choices so clearly and reasonably!

Even this draft doofus recognized the template as a mock generated by formula -
with the AI in the algorithm both shallow and incomplete.

Applause to Exaulted1, though, for putting up such a comprehensive straw man ...
which sharper minds here could riff off. Thanks guys and gals!

Box_O_Rocks said:
If you could get Hodge second day to push Izzo and find another smurf CB to replace Jennings you'd have a sweet little dance card. Reach for Colledge or Tapp at #21, and you'd be jitterbugging.

Such is the handicap of a trade-free mock. Like you, I feel that interior linemen can be taken late, but maybe the success of Koppen is blinding us. He could well be the exception. Also like you, I'd be happy to have Mangold on the team, but a little disappointed we didn't draft a playmaker. However, Mangold would be a perfectly nasty lineman for us.

I think Hodge would at least approach 245 by the season. I think he lost some weight in order to improve his combine times. I think his talent transcends and hard and fast rule that a Belichick linebacker has to weigh this much before getting on the ride. Hodge is a strong dude, so at 245 or so I think he could play in the middle.

I didn't hear about Tim Jennings. I will check that out and remove him from the board if necessary.

Edit: He was arrested on drug-related charges three years ago. He's kept his nose clean since. I'm fine using a sixth rounder on him.

Last edited:
flutie2phelan said:
It's always marvelous how Uncle Heatster explains his choices so clearly and reasonably!

Even this draft doofus recognized the template as a mock generated by formula -
with the AI in the algorithm both shallow and incomplete.

Applause to Exaulted1, though, for putting up such a comprehensive straw man ...
which sharper minds here could riff off. Thanks guys and gals!

A 7 round draft is always subject to scrutiny, but I'll bet there are some names here that no-one knows (yet).

Thanks for the props, F2F, I'm just trying to supply info to our fellow PatsFans.

I'll play.

I'd go:

21 Manny Lawson, OLB - replaces Willie over time
52 Babatunde Oshinowo, NT - depth at NT, ferocious DL
75 Demetrius Williams, WR - deep threat
86 Mike Haas, WR - possession guy - two solid, different types of receivers in the third
106 Kai Parham, ILB - two-down run-stuffer, moves Bruschi back into his old role
118 Charlie Peprah, DB - versatile guy who's played CB, FS, SS
136 Paul Pinegar, QB - Fresno State connection, no third QB currently
191 Charles Davis, TE - third TE
205 Pat Ross, C - important depth at center, BC guy
206 Jeremy Bloom, ST - punt returner, ski bum
229 Steve Gostkowski, K

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes