PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION 2024 Draft Day LIVE Discussion Thread Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats blew a once in a decade chance to get a superstar in MHJ. Maye is not ready to play, and comes from a very weak conference.
Naw, it is Nabers that was the big whiff. He is the future star, a deep threat, big guy who can separate.

Screw all this “it’s too early to pick a guy at 34” nonsense! Ladd McConkey can SEPARATE, GET OPEN QUICKLY & CATCH THE BALL! That’s what receivers are paid to do. His measurables are elite, he killed everyone at the Senior Bowl & would immediately be our best WR. The only other WR that “ranks higher” is Mitchell & I expect BUF to take him with the very next pick. If McConkey is who the brass likes, take him at 34 without hesitation. He’s a helluva player. I also like Ja’Lynn Polk….but I LOVE both Javon Baker & Malik Washington.

He's not wrong though. We don't know what Maye will be, but those criticisms are legitimate, and you did pass on the best player in the draft to take him.
I have no issues passing on MHJ if we’re trying to fix the most important position in football.

Which to me seems to show they had weeks to trade out if the pick if the had reservations about Maye
They stuck and picked
Good sign they were all in on Maye
The benefits of cratering at 4-13 are not only that you get the 3rd pick, and you also are granted time to rebuild. Nobody expects this team to come close to making the playoffs this year, so they were free to take a 21 year old who has huge upside but needs a year of bench time.

I have no issues passing on MHJ if we’re trying to fix the most important position in football.
That's the other school of thought, yes.

I'm not going to get on anyone's case for being mad about passing on Harrison though, I get it. Especially if you're not super-high on Maye as a prospect.

sounds like we want Keon Coleman but he might go 33rd to the Bills. Not sure I want him anyway myself.

Screw all this “it’s too early to pick a guy at 34” nonsense! Ladd McConkey can SEPARATE, GET OPEN QUICKLY & CATCH THE BALL! That’s what receivers are paid to do. His measurables are elite, he killed everyone at the Senior Bowl & would immediately be our best WR. The only other WR that “ranks higher” is Mitchell & I expect BUF to take him with the very next pick. If McConkey is who the brass likes, take him at 34 without hesitation. He’s a helluva player. I also like Ja’Lynn Polk….but I LOVE both Javon Baker & Malik Washington.
I think McConkey has possible WR1 talent, his injury history just scares me off a little.

I personally would rather go with Baker later like you mention and get a tackle first. But would have a hard time being upset about a McConkey pick.

No round 2 draft thread or just continuing on this one

sounds like we want Keon Coleman but he might go 33rd to the Bills. Not sure I want him anyway myself.
Keon Coleman would be a disappointing pick for me.

Would prefer McConkey, JPJ, or Paul to him, but would prefer a small trade down even more.

Keon Coleman would be a disappointing pick for me.

Would prefer McConkey, JPJ, or Paul to him, but would prefer a small trade down even more.

We're drafting for need sadly it seems. It's what happens when you don't fill any in free agency. McConkey is also my favourite receiver but he doesn't really fill the void at X. I would probably trade down 5-8 spots if possible.

What about Malachai Corley
I like him a lot

We're drafting for need sadly it seems. It's what happens when you don't fill any in free agency. McConkey is also my favourite receiver but he doesn't really fill the void at X. I would probably trade down 5-8 spots if possible.
It’s a deep WR draft and this is not a one year rebuild.

Pats should be drafting the best players.

JPJ would anchor the line for a decade.

Which to me seems to show they had weeks to trade out if the pick if the had reservations about Maye
They stuck and picked
Good sign they were all in on Maye
And the fact that the offers they got escalated once it was known Maye would most likely be available at 3, and that the offers were coming from Kevin O’Connell and Brian Daboll, who are keen QB evaluators and developers, it all just means Maye is worth taking

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes