PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Ravens 1-1 Outside Their Div/AFC South/NFC South

Status
Not open for further replies.
my bad.

The two questions remain.

Will our OL be able to give Brady much time?

and will

our defensive backs be able to stop the Smith's?
===========

As was said weeks ago by other posters, I think that BALT is the worst matchup we could have. The only other relatively poor matchup was PITT with a healthy Bell. That being said, I certainly agree with the bettors that we should be a 7-5 favorite in this game.

To put it another way, I think that we should be better than 7-5 favorites at home against any other AFC team.

I'd rather not play pin cushion D's on the way to a possible meeting with Seattle.

Just ask Denver last year. Facing the Chargers and Pats only made them look like deer in the headlights come Super Bowl Sunday.

This is why I don't want to face the lightweight Indy D in the AFCCG (IF the Pats get by the Ravens).

Just going to the SB doesn't cut it anymore.

Weather won't be a factor against the Ravens, they play in the same crappy stuff the Pats do.

Weather won't be a factor against the Ravens, they play in the same crappy stuff the Pats do.

But wind might - - for Joe's Jump balls.

I'm sure it's very warm and sunny where the Jets personnel are right now.

The Ravens played in pretty good weather this season as well.

Another advantage for the Pats.

How could it feel like the 2012 game against the Patriots? They weren't playing the Patriots last night.

Otherwise, I agree. The Steelers secondary is just as bad as the Patriots 2012 secondary.

.....which further makes that point utterly irrelevant.

The Ravens won by playing tough, mistake free football. The Steelers gained more yards, just as the Pats did in 2012 and controlled the clock. The Ravens forced the Steelers to be one- dimensional just as the Pats became in the 2012 game.

And yes, in 2012 once Talib went out, our secondary was terrible. Elis Hobbs would have been an upgrade at that point...

I believe Ravens are #1 in road playoff wins in NFL history. And they're newer than 30 teams except Texans.

Don't see Ed Reed or Ray Lewis, but I see the actual very good players they have that will present the challenge a playoff game usually entails against a physical D.

The Ravens look like a poor man's Detroit Lions defense to me. The Patriots offensive line should come into this one in better health than the end of the season and be able to give Brady time. I see a tough Ravens front 4, decent but not elite linebackers, and no-name secondary. The Ravens gambled on defense a lot against a depleted Steelers offense. Those overloads and blitzes open lanes for Blount and Gray to do their power running game thing, and Brady's got too many guys to go to when the pressure comes - Gronk, Edelman, LaFell, Vereen, Amendola, Wright, etc.

I see Rashaan Melvin at one corner who has two NFL starts to his credit, and cornerback Ladarius Webb on the other side who has struggled all season with a back injury, and who was pressed back into duty when CB Jimmy Smith went on injured reserve. Webb has defensed only 8 passes all year and was DNP the last two weeks of the season.

The Patriots did a nice job offsetting the Lions's defensive strength and frustrating Golden Tate and Megatron in the passing game with good coverage and different, physical looks. The Patriots did a nice job of bringing pressure from unexpected places against the Lions. Flacco is less evasive than Stafford. The Patriots defense is superior to the Steelers in pass coverage, and its equal against the run. The Ravens have two dangerous receivers in Steve Smith Jr. and Torrey Smith, but they've got Owen Daniels starting at TE who is decent but not a game breaker. Smith and Smith will get a number of different looks throughout the game by the Patriots diverse secondary.

The Ravens running game is a big difference in this one. Justin Forsett is a 1,200+ yard runner who the Patriots have to keep in check. Against the Patriots, I think he'll have a big role unless the Patriots can get out to an early lead. Blount will probably have a big chip on his shoulder in this one.

Sacks and turnovers are the key to this or any game. If the Patriots take care of the ball, they'll be fine. Roethlisberger threw interceptions, and the Steelers gave up five sacks to go with a fumble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back