PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Needs

Thanks Manx, great info. I was thinking Martin might be an option, but just thought he'd be gone by the time we picked.

He almost certainly will. He was my first round pick in my first ever mock for this draft so I really like him but I don't want to go first round OL now with our other needs.

With Dane Fletcher signing with TB, have to think we're drafting one, or even two linebackers this year. I'm off to the bookies to put some money on either Jordan Tripp and/or KPL. I think they both represent very good value.

2014 NFL Draft Needs:

Scratch wide receiver from the list:

Dobson
Lafell
Thompkins
Amendola
Edelman
Boyce
Slater

2014 NFL Draft Needs:

Scratch wide receiver from the list:

Dobson
Lafell
Thompkins
Amendola
Edelman
Boyce
Slater

I agree with Manx that a deluxe te isn't a big need either. We've got slot receivers and bigger wr's now. Gronk is our TE. If he goes down, just want one who can block. He's coming out in passing situations for one of the slot receivers. Right now. I'm leaning DT and DE 1-2. OLB/OL 3-4. Maybe S and RB in Round 6. Another OL in Round 7.

I agree with Manx that a deluxe te isn't a big need either. We've got slot receivers and bigger wr's now. Gronk is our TE. If he goes down, just want one who can block. He's coming out in passing situations for one of the slot receivers. Right now. I'm leaning DT and DE 1-2. OLB/OL 3-4. Maybe S and RB in Round 6. Another OL in Round 7.

I don't remember seeing Manx post that but either way I disagree. You just can't count on Gronk to be healthy and even if he is having two great TEs is a bonus. I'd love them to add ASJ.

I don't remember seeing Manx post that but either way I disagree. You just can't count on Gronk to be healthy and even if he is having two great TEs is a bonus. I'd love them to add ASJ.

ASJ won't be there at 62. Not going TE in first.

Needs in order:
1. TE
2. OG/C
3. DT
4 Depth LB
5. Safety
6. RB

Mock Draft
1. Xavier Su'a-filo, G UCLA
2. Troy Niklas, TE Notre Dame
3. DaQuan Jones, DT Penn State
4. Christian Jones, LB FSU
6. Antone Exum S, VT (if he falls due to injury) otherwise BPA
6. Trey Burton, TE Florida
7. Jeff Matthews, QB Cornell

I speculated on this in the mock draft forum in response to Patchick. I'm not committed to the idea that we don't need a TE early (you know how I've felt about TEs all winter), but with the signings of LaFell and Edelman and maybe potentially Britt, I just think the potential reps for a TE taken in rounds 1or2 are starting to lessen. A lot of that will depend on how Gronk returns from injury.

I just wonder whether an effective backup like Fiedorowicz or a later round move guy like Annen or Hoskins might represent better value right now. ASJ is still right near the top of my wish list though.

I've also "moved" on from the "move TE" that everyone refers to. Although they are different players, I expect LaFell to be the "Big Slot" that AH was. He has the same height and quickness, more speed but 30 pounds less (going by combine numbers). He is not a TE nor is he Hernandez but he can play the Big Slot. Once AH was gone they had no-one there and had to use Vereen at times but LaFell has close to 6 inches on him.

That leaves "Backup TE" as a need as HooMan is useful but not good enough if Gronk is out. Whether that's ASJ or Niklus making it to the end of the 2nd, Fedorowicz in the 3rd or whatever, a TE between Gronk and HooMan (I realize that's a big gap) is the need now for me.

Doug Kyed referenced the 2011 offense with WR Branch, Slot Welker, Big Slot AH, TE Gronk and mentioned we could replicate that with Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, Gronk, respectively. I agree with that although Edelman could also get the slot time with Dobson playing "Branch". Regardless, we have a lot of interersting workable combinations again assuming LaFell gets it and the kids come back ready this year.

I speculated on this in the mock draft forum in response to Patchick. I'm not committed to the idea that we don't need a TE early (you know how I've felt about TEs all winter), but with the signings of LaFell and Edelman and maybe potentially Britt, I just think the potential reps for a TE taken in rounds 1or2 are starting to lessen. A lot of that will depend on how Gronk returns from injury.

I just wonder whether an effective backup like Fiedorowicz or a later round move guy like Annen or Hoskins might represent better value right now. ASJ is still right near the top of my wish list though.

Thanks, I had checked the last page of this thread for that info but wasnt' going to search the entire forum.

I just think a healthy Gronk coupled with ASJ makes this offense a nightmare matchup again that having LaFell and\or Britt on the field doesn't. It also offers injury protection for Gronk and I also wouldn't be shocked to see Gronk start the year on the PUP again.

Fiedorowicz to me is more like Amaro only a better blocker. His routes are just too rounded and I don't think he'll ever be a true difference maker in the passing game like ASJ could be. If Gronk goes out again or isn't the same player that's a huge downgrade.

I've also "moved" on from the "move TE" that everyone refers to. Although they are different players, I expect LaFell to be the "Big Slot" that AH was. He has the same height and quickness, more speed but 30 pounds less (going by combine numbers). He is not a TE nor is he Hernandez but he can play the Big Slot. Once AH was gone they had no-one there and had to use Vereen at times but LaFell has close to 6 inches on him.

That leaves "Backup TE" as a need as HooMan is useful but not good enough if Gronk is out. Whether that's ASJ or Niklus making it to the end of the 2nd, Fedorowicz in the 3rd or whatever, a TE between Gronk and HooMan (I realize that's a big gap) is the need now for me.

Doug Kyed referenced the 2011 offense with WR Branch, Slot Welker, Big Slot AH, TE Gronk and mentioned we could replicate that with Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, Gronk, respectively. I agree with that although Edelman could also get the slot time with Dobson playing "Branch". Regardless, we have a lot of interersting workable combinations again assuming LaFell gets it and the kids come back ready this year.

We don't necessarily need a move TE but we definitely need to upgrade from Hooman. Which is why I like Niklas and ASJ for our first TE pick. Adding one of those two would definitely bring back our two tight end centric offense.

I have heard the speculation of using LaFell in the same role as Hernandez, but I just don't see it. Hernandez had more size to him and had better movement skills and was more elusive. The reason Hernandez was so good was because he would dictate the coverages; he wasn't a great blocker but he was good enough that defenses wouldn't be able to go light and cover him with a corner. And he was fast and quick enough to beat LBs outright in coverage.

With LaFell, I think that teams will treat him as what he is a wide receiver! He does not have the same size, elusiveness, or blocking ability that AH had. He doesn't create the same mismatches that AH did.

Thanks, I had checked the last page of this thread for that info but wasnt' going to search the entire forum.

I just think a healthy Gronk coupled with ASJ makes this offense a nightmare matchup again that having LaFell and\or Britt on the field doesn't. It also offers injury protection for Gronk and I also wouldn't be shocked to see Gronk start the year on the PUP again.

Fiedorowicz to me is more like Amaro only a better blocker. His routes are just too rounded and I don't think he'll ever be a true difference maker in the passing game like ASJ could be. If Gronk goes out again or isn't the same player that's a huge downgrade.

I'm ASJ's biggest fan on here - I don't need persuading. But will BB and McDaniels see ASJ, or another 1st-2nd round TE, getting the reps to justify taking them that high. Even if you don't include Lafell or Britt, there's still Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Vereen, Dobson that will all be getting receptions. There's not many left over.

As for Fiedorowicz, no he's no ASJ but he can block, he can move the chains and he can be a redzone threat. As a #2 TE or backup to Gronk, that's not too bad, especially if you can get a DT and a DE before him. I would still prefer ASJ, I'm just not sure BB necessarily would see the value in that.

In evaluating needs, I've started looking again at the DTs. If they keep Wilfork, and Armstead is looking fit and ready to contribute, then it strikes me that the DT corps (Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Siliga, Jones) looks a lot like the WRs. No real elite talent, some injury question marks, but a decent balance of versatile, savvy vets and young players with upside.

That makes for tricky draft projections. It looks like a need, yet only a top talent would actually upgrade the position.

I'm ASJ's biggest fan on here - I don't need persuading. But will BB and McDaniels see ASJ, or another 1st-2nd round TE, getting the reps to justify taking them that high. Even if you don't include Lafell or Britt, there's still Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Vereen, Dobson that will all be getting receptions. There's not many left over.

As for Fiedorowicz, no he's no ASJ but he can block, he can move the chains and he can be a redzone threat. As a #2 TE or backup to Gronk, that's not too bad, especially if you can get a DT and a DE before him. I would still prefer ASJ, I'm just not sure BB necessarily would see the value in that.

I'm hoping Josh doesn't want to move back to a spread as you've speculated. I'd much rather they run a lot of 21 with Brady under center and use play action. The spread has it's place like against the Steelers for instance but I don't want them running 5-wide empty sets a majority of the time.

I haven't seen Lafell's contract but it could be structured that he could be a camp cut and Britt isn't signed and Dobson just had foot surgery and Thompkins really faded last year and Boyce really didn't show much.....

Amendola, Edelman and Gronk all have injury histories. I think ASJ would be a justified pick and I don't think Bill will sit with the current roster.

In evaluating needs, I've started looking again at the DTs. If they keep Wilfork, and Armstead is looking fit and ready to contribute, then it strikes me that the DT corps (Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Siliga, Jones) looks a lot like the WRs. No real elite talent, some injury question marks, but a decent balance of versatile, savvy vets and young players with upside.

That makes for tricky draft projections. It looks like a need, yet only a top talent would actually upgrade the position.

Which is why people like DaQuan Jones don't interest me. either you get some serious talent like Hageman or Donald that would upgrade any defensive line, or you wait until later and get some depth to compete like Zach Kerr or Shamar Stephen (Taylor Hart and Brent Urban are two others). The only middle round DTs I like are Justin Ellis and Caraun Reid.

I'm hoping Josh doesn't want to move back to a spread as you've speculated. I'd much rather they run a lot of 21 with Brady under center and use play action. The spread has it's place like against the Steelers for instance but I don't want them running 5-wide empty sets a majority of the time.

I haven't seen Lafell's contract but it could be structured that he could be a camp cut and Britt isn't signed and Dobson just had foot surgery and Thompkins really faded last year and Boyce really didn't show much.....

Amendola, Edelman and Gronk all have injury histories. I think ASJ would be a justified pick and I don't think Bill will sit with the current roster.

I hope you are right. No-one will be happier than I if we draft ASJ.

I hope you are right. No-one will be happier than I if we draft ASJ.

As BB shocks the DT and TE factions and goes guard David Yankey with 29. Myself I'm hoping for a DT with the first pick but I can see BB throwing a wrench in what we perceive as need and spoiling all mocks around the world.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
Back