PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2010 Week One Bengals at Pats Media Predictions Mega-Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Week 1 matchup: Cincinnati Bengals at New England Patriots - NFL - Sporting News

Ian Rapoport previews the Pats-Bengals game for Sporting News, noting that the three main story lines are the Pats' cornerbacks, the strength of the Pats' receivers versus the strength of the Bengals' corners, and Ocho Cinco causing a distraction with his antics. Rapoport also lists Wes Welker, Jarrad Page and Dan Connolly as three key Patriots to watch.

The Patriots take the field with a depleted secondary and thin defensive line facing an offense that may explode in the right opportunity. This could be it. Don't be surprised if this turns into a shootout. But the Pats have an offense of their own, one that is more physical and more diverse than in years past. With their new-found love of running the ball and getting it to the tight ends in the red zone, they can hang around, too. That said, the game is played at home, which favors the Patriots.
Patriots 35, Bengals 32

Last edited:
Dave Goldberg of AOL's Fanhouse.com picks the Pats to win by one in a high scoring game.

NFL Picks, Week 1: Ravens Will Shut Up Jets on Monday Night -- NFL FanHouse

The game is the sideshow here. The main show stars diva receivers: Ochocinco and T.O. for the Bengals; the seemingly temperamental Randy Moss for the Patriots. Although to be fair, Moss has been practicing hard and may not be a problem beyond his quest for a new contract..

Carson Palmer and his receivers (rookie Jordan Shipley may catch more balls than Mr. Popcorn) should cause problems for a Patriots secondary that's lost Leigh Bodden and is going with youngsters, including first-round pick Devin McCourty. (Ochocinco has been tweeting at Darius Butler, who also will be back there).

But it's hard to see the Patriots losing an opener at home.

Patriots 31-30

The Sports Network has a lengthy preview of Sunday's game:

NFL Preview - Cincinnati (0-0) at New England (0-0) - KansasCity.com

OVERALL ANALYSIS

It's been quite some time since the Patriots entered a season with so much uncertainty, and there's little question the Bengals have the personnel capable of exposing their opponents' perceived weak spots. Ochocinco and Owens hold a distinct experience edge on New England's raw but talented corners, and the dynamic duo should have their way unless the Pats can mount a consistent pass rush -- a big 'if' as well. That should help open up space for Benson, and the Bengals have shown to be a tough out whenever their workhorse back has a big day. While the Patriots are certainly able to prevail in a shootout, that still may be a tall order against a tough Cincinnati defense that will do just enough to prevent Brady and company from going ballistic.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Bengals 24, Patriots 20

I do not think the Patriots are going to be very good.There defense is weak and I do not trust the running game to take pressure off of Brady.How will the o-line protect Brady? So many questions.The Bengals have a good defense and a good running game. I wish I thought the Patriots were going to have a good year, I don't.

Greg Cote of the Miami Herald got 68% of his predictions right last year, including a respectable 55% against the spread. This week he picks the Dolphins to beat the Bills but not cover (17-16), the Ravens to not only cover but win straight up (20-17), and the Pats to not only win but to cover the spread, winning by a touchdown.

Greg Cote's Week 1 NFL predictions - Greg Cote - MiamiHerald.com

Line: NE by 4 Cote's pick: NE 24-17
Tom Brady, already with contract issues a distraction, wrecked his car Thursday morning. (I heard Giselle rescued him by smashing the rear window with a golf club). Play it safe with Pats, who are 6-0 in openers at Gillette Stadium.

Hank Gola of the New York Daily News thinks the Pats will win in a high scoring game.

NFL Week 1: Inside the Matchups

Bengals at Patriots
1 p.m., Patriots by 4, 44 1/2

HANK'S HONEYS: Tom Brady, uninjured in a car accident Thursday, has this contract thing and gets to open the season against one of those chic pick teams the Pats have traditionally brought back to Earth. Both Randy Moss and Wes Welker are at full strength against a Bengals defense that has a hard time getting pressure without the blitz. The Bengals have new shiny weapons (Terrell Owens) on offense and a renewed old war horse in Cedric Benson. The Patriots' defense is vulnerable up front and has lost CB Leigh Bodden for the year. Carson Palmer, however, is still a question mark.

IF I WERE A BETTING MAN: Patriots and the over.

Gola is going with the Ravens over the Jets in a low scoring game, noting Baltimore has many options on offense and although Revis is superb, he is not a savior.

Last edited:
A viewpoint from those that cover and follow the week one opponent:

Gathering on the green

The Bengals.com roundtable is splintered again for Opening Day 2010.

Our scouts have returned intact from 2009 but not their opinions. In another split decision, they give Sunday’s 1 p.m. opener (Cincinnati’s Channel 12) to the emerging Bengals over the transitioning Patriots in a matchup of defending division champs eyeball to eyeball on the Foxborough village green that starts the NFL's 16-game march.

“The Patriots are still well-coached and Tom Brady is as good as it gets,” says The Eye, an NFL scout familiar with the AFC North. “And they have good players. But they’re not as good as the guys they’ve lost on defense. They’ve replaced the great player like Mike Vrabel, Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison with good players and young players.”

The Sage, an ex-NFL player that played for a decade, can only conclude that for the first time in since whenever the Bengals match up better than the Pats.

“All across the field,” The Sage says. “The Bengals receivers should beat the Patriots secondary. The Bengals secondary should be able to cover their receivers. Their defensive line should be able to handle their offensive line. And I don’t even think you can say they’ve got the better coach at this point. Bill Belichick is still a Hall of Fame coach, but he’s lost a lot of his players and you have to give Marvin (Lewis) his props. He got this team through last year and won the division and now they’re better.

“If you look at how Marvin wants to play it, that’s exactly you beat the Patriots,” The Sage says. "He wants to pound it with the run, play defense, and that’s how Baltimore went on the road and beat them last year in the playoffs.”

The dissenting opinion belongs to another double digit NFL vet. Big Bird is as sweeping as The Sage.

“T.O. and Chad aren’t the best receivers on the field,” Bird says. “The Patriots have the better coach, the better quarterback, the better tight ends. I’m just not ready to believe yet in the Bengals. They have to prove it to me first.”

The Eye and The Sage are convinced. The Eye calls it, 24-20, Bengals. The Sage says the Bengals will win by two scores, something like 27-17. Big Bird sees a high-scoring deal, more like 27-23, Pats, with Brady all knowing.

The column goes on to focus on key matchups such as the Bengals WRs vs the Pats CBs, the Pats guards vs the Bengals DTs, Bengals center vs Vince Wilfork, etc.

I wonder if pats wear their white jerseys tomorrow to make bengals wear black.

I wonder if pats wear their white jerseys tomorrow to make bengals wear black.

I would think every home team would wear white and have the visiting team wear black during the first month or two of the season when it is still warm; maybe longer for southern teams such as Miami or Tampa Bay. White reflects light (and therefore heat) while black absorbs light and retains heat so it makes sense for teams to wear white uniforms early in the season if they have a choice.

Tom Curran is correct in predicting that no matter what happens, it will be overblown.

Patriots-Bengals preview

Having not seen enough from the Patriots late in preseason to make me confident that they'll be strong against a balanced offense with top-tier wideouts, they've left me no choice.

Bengals 30, Patriots 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference