PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 years later...Is this the worst missed-penalty of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHY!!!!!????????

WHY DID I CLICK ON THIS THREAD!!!!!!!??????

Sorry for the drama, I just wish that game would go away.

WHY!!!!!????????

WHY DID I CLICK ON THIS THREAD!!!!!!!??????

Sorry for the drama, I just wish that game would go away.

Don't worry, I had the same thought in my head and I'm sure many others did. Honestly there should be a filter on threads about this game, or a rule against making one. There's no positive discussion that can come from it

Stop living in the past.

BTW...the better team won that game.

I think we should all just consider it karmic repayment for the tuck rule game and move on.

that's funny you should bring that up. espn talked about it weeks on end and still call it the tuck game to this day. yet, they never mention all the holding, or facemasks or the in the grasp call that were missed during the tyree catch. NEVER MENTIONED !!! they are so transparent.

Nice visuals bro! The second photo is the most blatant as Thomas running towards Manning, yet Chris Snee is behind Thomas and has his arm wrapped around him. And two lineman are holding Jarvis Green by the neck. Anybody notice Vrabel just standing there the entire time?

I thought for sure they were going to call in the grasp or holding.

Last edited:
There are half-grabs like that on every play of the NFL season. We lost fair and square.

All the responses saying "just move on" are really unnecessary. I moved on. Its over.

The simple question is "Is this the worst missed-penalty of all time?". IMO it is. I wanted to see what everyone elses opinion.

Re: 2 Years later... Is this the worst Missed-Penalty of all time?

And if it had been 4th and 15 who says they wouldn't have converted it?

But who says they would've converted it? That's the whole point. This one missed call changed the entire situation of a game with 1 minute left in the SuperBowl. Add on how blatantly obvious the holding was, and this is the worst missed-call ever IMO.

Any number of plays on that drive the Pats make the game is over and they are 19-0 but they didn't.
Pretty hard to make a play when everyone rushing the QB is being choked, grabbed, pushed from behind, etc.

Look if their wasnt such bad holding on that play, Green, Seymour, or AD could have had a sack and forced fumble. At the very least it shouldve been a sack and loss of yards.

Last edited:

I have one thing to say: Asante Samuel.

And now I'm asking myself, "why did I bother to click this link?"

I have one thing to say: Asante Samuel.

*sigh*

This thread isn't about making excuses. It's not about blaming the loss on anyone.

I simply want to know if anyone has ever seen a more obvious missed-call during a crucial point in a big playoff game?

*sigh*

This thread isn't about making excuses. It's not about blaming the loss on anyone.

I simply want to know if anyone has ever seen a more obvious missed-call during a crucial point in a big playoff game?

Holding calls are the most missed calls on the football field. This thread would have been an even bigger deal had there been a missed offensive pass interference call on the play. On top of that, as a referee, you never want the biggest game on the biggest stage in the world to be decided by a holding call. Do I wish they would have called it? Yes. Do I see why they didn't? Yes.

Holding calls are the most missed calls on the football field. This thread would have been an even bigger deal had there been a missed offensive pass interference call on the play. On top of that, as a referee, you never want the biggest game on the biggest stage in the world to be decided by a holding call. Do I wish they would have called it? Yes. Do I see why they didn't? Yes.

I understand holding calls go missed.

But when EVERY PLAYER RUSHING THE QB IS BEING HELD, it better be called.

YouTube - NFL's Greatest Play ever
Watch from 2:25 to 2:35. I'm absolutely amazed at what happens to Richard Seymour.

Choked, arm held, blatantly spun around 180 by the olineman. You can watch from other angles and it appears he's being bearhugged.

No I dont want a game decided on a penalty. I want a game played fair and officiated properly. I also dont want the game decided on a play that never should have happened. Rules are there for a reason and shouldn't be thrown out of a game in the last minute in the superbowl.

Maybe if Patriot olinemen were allowed to hold like this, Brady wouldnt have taken so many late hits in this game.

I understand holding calls go missed.

But when EVERY PLAYER RUSHING THE QB IS BEING HELD, it better be called.

YouTube - NFL's Greatest Play ever
Watch from 2:25 to 2:35. I'm absolutely amazed at what happens to Richard Seymour.

Choked, arm held, blatantly spun around 180 by the olineman. You can watch from other angles and it appears he's being bearhugged.

No I dont want a game decided on a penalty. I want a game played fair and officiated properly. I also dont want the game decided on a play that never should have happened. Rules are there for a reason and shouldn't be thrown out of a game in the last minute in the superbowl.

Maybe if Patriot olinemen were allowed to hold like this, Brady wouldnt have taken so many late hits in this game.

Here is something to chew on: if the greatest offense of all time had been able to score more than 14 points, we wouldn't be talking about this. :cool:

if the greatest offense of all time had been able to score more than 14 points, we wouldn't be talking about this.

This

/thread

Last edited:
Before that play there was the Merriweather should of made the pick and the obvious Asante through the hands should of been picked. If either one of those plays are made then that holding call would of meant nil.

Heck what about the Patriots first play from scrimmage on the screen to Maroney. If Brady hung in there for a second longer Maroney was GONE for long yards or a TD.

The game is over and the refs weren't going to let a call determine the game. They let them decide it like men, between themselves. It just wasn't meant to be.

MOVE ON! LOL.

*sigh*

1) I am sure that there are whining fans of other teams who are just as obsessed about a particular play as you are and I am sure that they would answer "yes" to your question. The Vikings' fans after this year's NFCCG and the Raiders' fans from the tuck game jump immediately to mind.

2) In this particular case, I doubt very much that what happened on the play you are making us all relive for the ten thousandth time was all that different than what happens on dozens of plays every Sunday in the NFL; sometimes they get called, sometimes they don't.

3) All things being equal and putting aside my long-proven loyalties to the Patriots, I would rather that the officials allow a game to be decided by the players on the field than by a call they might or might not make 50% of the time (the 50% point being an important qualification of the latter), so, even after reviewing your pics, as a fan of the NFL, I am glad it wasn't called.

4) Even after the play, the Patriots still had a chance to stop the Giants and could not; they have only themselves to blame for that.

5) The Pats, bringing the greatest offense in the league into that game, also have only themselves to blame for letting Tommy get knocked around all day and for not putting up more points than they did that forgettable Sunday.

6) As someone else has already posted, the better team on the field won that day. Period. Everything else is bull**** whining and excuses. I am as sick and tired of listening to crying from Pats fans about that game as I am to listening to complaints from Rams fans about how the "better" team lost SB XXXVI. The better teams might indeed have lost on both occasions, but the better team on the field each day won in both cases. Until the SB goes to a "best of three" format ("Not!"), there will always be the chance of that happening. It's what makes the game so intriguing.

Let's man up and show some class.

Last edited:
All the responses saying "just move on" are really unnecessary. I moved on. Its over.

The simple question is "Is this the worst missed-penalty of all time?". IMO it is. I wanted to see what everyone elses opinion.

It should've been 4th and 15 from the Giants 34 yard line. Instead the play gained 32 yards for the Giants and gave them a first down with 59 seconds left.

OK I thought you were coming at it from a different angle.

Well just two weeks ago they missed a roughing the passer call on the Saints that would have negated a Favre interception.

Going back many years ago how about the blatant holding on Russ Francis that wasn't called in the infamous "Ben Dreith" Oakland playoff game?

I am sure there are worse missed penalties than those. Those are just off the top of my head.

If they did call the penalty it would have been 3rd and 15, not 4th and 15 , giving them two chances to convert-and with the Pats track record the last few years of giving up long conversions on 3rd down I am not confident they would have made a stop.

Last edited:
There is nothing we can do about it.

I just want the league or media to mention it or replay these angles any time they make mention of this great play.

Is that to much to ask. It was definately part of the play.

I also want the exact date of the rule of emphasis on pass interference and who was on the rules commitee that put that in place.

I'm not sour. Things happen. Just tell the entire story and don't show that clip of Tyree.

Most plays when there is holding like this come back and you never see the replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back