PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1st round trade scenaios for the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While i would LOVE to land the Rams 2nd round pick(#33), i'm thinking that it might be the SINGLE most valuable pick in this years draft!

Due to the format of the draft this year, with Round 2 STARTING on Friday night, teams are going to have a LOT longer to regroup and and determine how round 1 went and you KNOW teams are going to be targeting players at the top of round 2 like never before. If i'm the Rams, i'm conceding RIGHT NOW that i'm trading that pick to the highest bidder and let the bidding wars begin.

Forgot about that, good point. That pick is awesome in so many ways for the Rams.

1. They'll get alot of trade offers for it on calls the morning before Day 2.
2. They have a whole day to think about who to take based on who has fallen.

Not sure how it can have a point value, but the trend looks like a second and the next year's first for a team to move back into the first rouind of the current year's draft.

The possible 2 trades that intrigue me is with the #44 pick in 2010 and his next year's 1st, BB might be able to get into the teens of this year's draft. (McClain)

Then he can auction #22 off for a second rounder in 2010 and a 1st rounder in 2011.

In effect we still have 4 of the first 62 picks in this draft and 2 first rounders in 2011.

I Like it! :D
But we would have to bank on there being someone who drops to 22 that would make teams make us that offer

I hope we don't trade up..guaranteed bust every time we do that. Derrick morgan? What's so great about him? Beluga whale stoned him cold.

Although, if there were any players in the late teens beluga would be a good guy to trade up for paradoxically.

I just hope Tebow is gone by the time we select.

I'm looking for them to draft hardesty in the3rd, teo-neheim late 2nd, and sapp in the late 3rd. Maybe Kindle in the late 1st/2nd.

I especially like how you have us making 2, 3rd round selections, when we currently have 0 :bricks:

I especially like how you have us making 2, 3rd round selections, when we currently have 0 :bricks:

It's called creative drafting :)

and what spot are those?

Green
Watson
AD
Burgess

are all gone or soon will be ( AD ) thats 4 spots, so we just need to find 1 more spot for the 5th pick ( the 3rd rounder ).

I think a 3rd rounder this year can beat out the likes of..

Woods
Stanback
etc

Last edited:
I just hope Tebow is gone by the time we select.

Honestly I still think that this is how we get the most value in return for that pick- Tebow is still on the board at 22, several teams are in love with him, and Bill takes the best offer.

I will throw things at my TV if the Patriots take him (and I am a Gators fan), but I would love for him to be there and 4-5 teams come calling. You could get a high 2nd (like Cleveland at 38, Oakland at 39, Buffalo at 41, for example) and maybe a third or 4th to boot, or add in a NE 6th for a 3rd.

Last edited:
Here are some trade down scenarios that I have been looking at. I think we are much more likely to move down in this draft then move up. I think alot of teams are going to covet the best QBs in this draft because after the top 4 there is a huge dropoff. Please give me some feedback guys about what you think about these trades. Anyways here are the scenarios:

Arizona trades 26 and 88 to NE for 22 and 117. Nearly equal draft value according to the chart. Arizona gets Clausen, Mccoy, or Tebow at 22 and we swap firsts and our 4th for their 3rd. Decent trade.

Minnesota trades 30 and 94 to NE for 22. We swap firsts with Minnesota while picking up the third rd pick that I think we covet because of the depth in this draft. Minnesota gets Tebow, Mccoy, or Clausen at 22 to learn under Favre for one year.

Cleveland trades 38 and 69 to NE for 22. We swap our first for a high 2nd and a high 3rd. I really like this scenario as we would have 4 seconds and a high 3rd. If we could come out of these 5 picks with OLB Hughes/Misi, WR D. Williams/Tate/Gilyard, TE Pitta/Gronkowski, DE Carrington/Wooten, and RB Hardesty I would be thrilled! Cleveland trades up because Mccoy and Tebow may not still be on the board at 37 and because Holmgren may secretly covet Clausen. Cleveland consistently has passed on QBs in the draft since Quinn and they have been burned. They passed on Sanchez and Cutler. This team has new management which usually means they will get a new QB.

Buffalo trades 41 and 72 to NE for 22. Same situation as the above one with Cleveland.

Thoughts?

Hmm. I like it, wes. Like it a lot.

I would just add Alualu to your DE possibilities and Dexter McCluster as a possible RB.

Cleveland trades up because Mccoy and Tebow may not still be on the board at 37 and because Holmgren may secretly covet Clausen. Cleveland consistently has passed on QBs in the draft since Quinn and they have been burned. They passed on Sanchez and Cutler. This team has new management which usually means they will get a new QB.

Buffalo trades 41 and 72 to NE for 22. Same situation as the above one with Cleveland.

Thoughts?

I think if Buffalo passes on Claussen,and I think they should, then every pick after that becomes more valuable. If Claussen makes it to #22, I can see BB auctioning off the pick and bleeding some team very badly.

Don't think we want Hughes or Misi. Too short. They'd just be swallowed up by the OTs.

Trading down in the 1st or to the top of 2nd look like the most attractive scenarios unless a stud falls into our laps at 22.

I agree with the trade down scenario unless a stud that BB covets falls into their laps ala Wilfork.

4 second round picks in this draft is good.

Need to get a pick in third round.

I agree with the trade down scenario unless a stud that BB covets falls into their laps ala Wilfork.

4 second round picks in this draft is good.

Need to get a pick in third round.

Why do we need to get a third? BB's draft record with non-compensatory thirds is horrible.

Who can forget Brock Williams?????????

What is he got a third and took Tebow? Then half the board would be bellyaching and half the board would be talking up a guy who is at least three years away from being a quality QB.

The strengths of a BB draft are the first and seventh rounds of the draft. He is currently batting around 60 plus % in the second round. Which while probably below avwerage is still pretty good compared to his non-compensatory third round grade.

Let's not put BB in a position where he can't make a play. (ie: a non-compensatory third round draft pick)

As BB would say, "Do your job!" And when the third round of the draft rolls through; BB's job is to be in the press room telling us about the 3 second round players he picked up earlier that night, not drafting the next Brock Williams. Ugh!

I think if Buffalo passes on Claussen,and I think they should, then every pick after that becomes more valuable. If Claussen makes it to #22, I can see BB auctioning off the pick and bleeding some team very badly.

What, and the teams #11-#21 aren't smart enough to realize this too? :rolleyes:

By all accounts Clausen had a very good Pro Day today. Everyone is now saying that he will be taken in the middle of the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back